Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 12 May 2013 (Sunday) 20:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

High-Speed Continuous Shooting

philipnourse
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined May 2013

May 13, 2013 20:46 |  #16

Wow! Thank you all for your helpful comments. I will try again at a higher shutter speed, JPG only etc. Here is the pic with no horses!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
ormathisen
273 posts
Joined Oct 2012

May 14, 2013 05:36 |  #17

Hard to see detail on such a small photo. Not to be rude or obnoxious, but are you sure you could see horses through the viewfinder when you started to take the photos? After reading this thread I can't imagine there is a technical problem to this. I have to pull out my "User error: Lack of knowledge"-flag on this one I'm afraid. Still....I can be wrong. (I hope)
And as Xchangx said : I hope you weren't paid to do this.

--
Happy Norwegian

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

May 14, 2013 05:56 |  #18

xchangx wrote in post #15927715 (external link)
Did you press the shutter down at the start of the race and just hold it down the whole race? Is it possible that your buffer filled up before the horses even got in the frame?

Please tell me you weren't being paid to do this...

It helps to look at all text posted. Like "Each burst was about seven shots"

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

Craign
Goldmember
1,196 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2010

May 14, 2013 07:31 |  #19

Tiny photo makes for tough analysis. There appears to be two photographers on the rail pointing up the track. The video screen appears to show the horses at an angle that would be typical of horses in upperstretch.

Conclusion: You missed the horses by about 1/8 of a mile, 200 metres.

Canon 7D Mark II w/Canon BG-E16 Battery Grip; Canon EOS 50D w/Canon Battery Grip; Canon SL1; Tokina 12mm - 24mm f/4 PRO DX II; Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS; Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS; Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS; Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM; Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS; Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM; Canon Extender EF 1.4x II; Canon Extender EF 2x II; Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash
Image Editing Okay

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

May 14, 2013 07:48 |  #20

Just a question - might it be that you accidentally saw the horses on the monitor instead of the horses on the track?

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,566 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 14, 2013 14:11 |  #21

Did you accidently have the "horse removal" option enabled in the custom functions? ;)

Swinger
101 posts
Joined Sep 2012

May 14, 2013 15:43 |  #22

You could pre-focus - keep the shutter half held and wait ....... wait ....... then pre-shoot just before the horse gets there ....

Everyone nailed it - unless you pan, that horse is way faster than your finger/shutter combination.

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

May 14, 2013 16:37 |  #23

philipnourse wrote in post #15929222 (external link)
Wow! Thank you all for your helpful comments. I will try again at a higher shutter speed, JPG only etc. Here is the pic with no horses!

After glancing at the small sample image, here's a note to hopefully point you in the right direction. There are several problems with what you've done so far, and none of the problems involve the file format or shutter speed.

In short, wrong distance, wrong angle and wrong focal length.

I'll assume you wanted framing that resembles what is shown here.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1174.photobuck​et.com …0717a1324_zps12​02cc9a.jpg (external link)

These were the settings used:

Focal Length: 147.0mm
Aperture: f/6.3
Exposure Time: 0.0025 s (1/400)
ISO equiv: 100
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: program (Auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB

Now, the settings from the image you posted showed a focal length of 40mm. In addition, the location from which the picture was taken was far back from the track and had the outside rail and other items between you and the horses. The sample image I supplied used a longer focal length and was taken from a much closer location, right on the outside rail, with nothing between the horses and the camera position.

Also, note that the horses are headed toward the camera position in the image I supplied. Action images are always most interesting and useful when the action is moving toward the camera.

So the steps to take are to get closer to the action, use a longer focal length to improve the framing and use a better location. This entire situation is all about technique and experience.

Craign
Goldmember
1,196 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2010

May 14, 2013 19:10 |  #24

I believe the race track is Sha Tin Racecourse in Hong Kong where the horses run in a clockwise direction. The video board appears to be split into three sections. The left section (behind then arch) is of the leaders. The center section is a tight shot of the actual leader. The right section is a wide angle shot that shows the entire field. The horses are approaching the finish line from right to left but still have a considerable distance to run.

The shutter was started in high speed continuous so early the buffer was filled before the horses were in view of the camera.

I hope by "assignment" you meant this was for a class and to be a learning experience. I think you have learned more from a bad experience than you ever could by getting it close to right. We have all made mistakes. The important thing is to learn from those mistakes. You have come to a wonderful place for advice from some great photographers that are always willing to assist someone with a problem.

Suggestion: Set the camera to one shot and try to get it right the first time. That takes practice but is ultimately better than trying "spray and pray" and getting nothing as in this example.

Canon 7D Mark II w/Canon BG-E16 Battery Grip; Canon EOS 50D w/Canon Battery Grip; Canon SL1; Tokina 12mm - 24mm f/4 PRO DX II; Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS; Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS; Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS; Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM; Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS; Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM; Canon Extender EF 1.4x II; Canon Extender EF 2x II; Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash
Image Editing Okay

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

May 14, 2013 20:50 |  #25

pwm2 wrote in post #15930192 (external link)
It helps to look at all text posted. Like "Each burst was about seven shots"

Agreed, but the original post doesn't make sense. It is still possible that he shot the first burst and it buffered for 30 seconds and shot a second burst after that, missing the horses.

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

mtho33
40 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jul 15, 2013 21:35 |  #26

Did you press the shuttle button by looking at the video screen rather than the viewfinder? You may have press it too early. I take pictures at race track as well and the only time I missed was when I pan without looking at the view finder.

sponsored links

4,181 views & 0 likes for this thread
High-Speed Continuous Shooting
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.