Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 13 May 2013 (Monday) 06:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Getting into 'casual paid' photography

GoneMissed
41 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 13, 2013 06:06 |  #1

So I have spent a fair bit of money on my gear (see sig) and while I love doing landscape stuff, I'm interested in branching out a little - ideally making a bit of coin on the side.

I'm not a professional and will never claim to be, but I know I'm capable of taking a decent image. Essentially what I'm looking for is something where I can do some enjoyable shooting and get a bit of money (I'm talking very minimal money).

Would be willing to do some trialling for perspective employers etc. to see if they are happy with what I could provide - as I said, I don't pretend I'm a pro.

Has anyone done something similar and can provide any suggestions or ideas?

I've thought about night club photography but not sure how keen I am on the hours since I generally work long hours in the week... and not sure how I'd like people spilling drinks on my gear!

5D mk II || 17-40 L || 24-70 f2.8 L || 50 f1.8

sponsored links
Luxornv
223 posts
Joined Nov 2012

May 14, 2013 23:39 |  #2

I think I'm on much the same level as you as far as what I consider photography to be for me and my professional status. You have a lot more invested in your gear than I do though. I'm passively trying to get involved in to paid jobs. I have a few friends and family members that own businesses that could use photography. I'll do it for them for free, but if they have friends that own similar businesses, I'm going to charge them. Right now though, this isn't working too well for me. One friend still needs to get things ready before I can go in and photograph her business. I honestly don't care what happens with my attempt though because I have a full time job that pays well, and this is only a hobby for me.

Canon Rebel T3i - 18-55mm Kit lens- Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 - Rokinon 8mm Fish Eye - Canon 40mm f/2.8 Pancake - Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

Robert ­ Dunlop
27 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 15, 2013 00:40 |  #3

Luxornv wrote in post #15933353 (external link)
...............I honestly don't care what happens with my attempt though because I have a full time job that pays well, and this is only a hobby for me.

Nice attitude. You'll go far.
Good luck.

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

May 15, 2013 13:51 |  #4

Try to approach this from the reverse side. If you needed photography, how would you go about finding a photographer? What would you look for in picking which photographer to use? If you're not sure, ask a few friends.

Then try to get your name in front of those decision makers at the right time.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 15, 2013 15:32 |  #5

Initially I really didn't have much interest in portrait work until my brother was a HS senior and my parents asked that I photograph him. That was when I really picked up a lot of lighting gear and began working with off-camera flash. Over the last year or so, I've posted a number of portraits of various family members on my Facebook page, and have since had a number of people ask for pricing to do shoots of their kids/family (some that I don't even know).

Growing up I enjoyed playing various sports, baseball specifically. I was asked by a cousin of mine to come shoot some of his recreational games... His mom said that she would pay me for some of the prints.

To date, I've been to 2 of their games (each about an hour long) and have tried to shoot all of the kids on their team. Last Thursday (the 2nd game I shot) I brought along a 11x14 composite I did of my cousin. His mom loved it and all the other parents saw it as well... and the end of the game I was asked to provide similar prints to 7 other parents - of which all will be paid for. I'm going to another one of their games tomorrow... trying to ensure that I've got good action shots of each of the kids whose parents will be buying prints and a couple of the kids have missed games.

Having said that, I know that I don't want to become the standard recreational league photographer who lines the kids up for group shots and shoots them in generic poses either.

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,281 posts
Gallery: 301 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

May 15, 2013 15:39 |  #6

GoneMissed wrote in post #15926616 (external link)
So I have spent a fair bit of money on my gear (see sig) and while I love doing landscape stuff, I'm interested in branching out a little - ideally making a bit of coin on the side.

I'm not a professional and will never claim to be, but I know I'm capable of taking a decent image. Essentially what I'm looking for is something where I can do some enjoyable shooting and get a bit of money (I'm talking very minimal money).

Would be willing to do some trialling for perspective employers etc. to see if they are happy with what I could provide - as I said, I don't pretend I'm a pro.

Has anyone done something similar and can provide any suggestions or ideas?

I've thought about night club photography but not sure how keen I am on the hours since I generally work long hours in the week... and not sure how I'd like people spilling drinks on my gear!

If you want to make some money with your camera the main method of doing so is portraiture. There are other gigs, but the rest of them are pretty competitive and not for someone dipping their toe in the water unless you have some sort of in. As for prospective employers, that would indicate a job on some sort of regular basis. Think of them in terms of potential clients. Your best bet is to start taking portraits of family friends, any good looking person you can get to sit still and build a portfolio. Be prepared to work for free a lot until you can prove yourself and then network.

jlambe
55 posts
Joined Jul 2003

May 15, 2013 18:10 |  #7

Portraits is definitely the way to go. Take a 1 day course or spend a day or 2 studyingyoutube videos. Then enrol a family member to help you practise hard. Post some here for CC and then practise some more before eventually charging for your work.

Canon 5D MKII. Canon 24-105 f4 Canon 70-300 2.8 MKII Canon 50mm f1.4 Canon 100mm f2.8 macro
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jlambe/ (external link)

CtrlAltElite
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Jul 2012

May 15, 2013 18:40 as a reply to  @ jlambe's post |  #8

For me, im not a pro. I love photography for what did does for ME. Have never made a red cent from my photos. But...... its thrilling to think that if someone paid me for my shots its more than the money, its the fact im good enough for someone to WANT my skill and is willing to pay me for it. If its about money, its already over for you. Good luck though.

Lil ­ Red ­ Wolf
87 posts
Joined Apr 2013

May 15, 2013 18:44 |  #9

the second money starts changing hands it is no longer casual. there becomes expectations, deadlines, assumptions, etc. Once you are paid they expect the final product to be the same as what they would pay a top notch photographer for even if they are getting a "bargain" deal.

sponsored links

1,463 views & 0 likes for this thread
Getting into 'casual paid' photography
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.