Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 08 May 2013 (Wednesday) 21:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CrossFit - Mayhem in the Meadowlands

jfkmlbcvg
22 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 08, 2013 21:51 |  #1

I recently had the opportunity to shoot a CrossFit style competition held in Giants stadium. Over three hundred teams (consisting of 3 athletes per team) did three different workouts over the day. Here are a few shots. C&C welcomed.

#1 A bit overbaked - but that is intentional

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

#2 Not only young athletes competed

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
jfkmlbcvg
THREAD ­ STARTER
22 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 08, 2013 21:55 |  #2

Since i have not figured out how to embed my 5 photos per thread, here are 2 more

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

ScottiG
116 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 08, 2013 22:39 |  #3

Hopefully my observations are as well received, as they are well intended...

Image #1...
The image looks crooked to me. While the image is straight along the top of the fence in the background, the foreground is the subject of the image and to me, that is where the image should be straight. You have a couple of choices... You can simply rotate the image so the barbell and mat the lifter is standing on is straight, and forget about the straightness of the lines in the background, or you can free transform and manipulate the perspective in Photoshop to get the foreground and background horizontal elements straight

Image #2...
Overall not bad, just looks like the clarity or sharpening was juiced (even if it was not, it just has that look about it) - The most striking thing about this image is the bright hotspot on the shiny thing in the background... My eyes go right to that. Eyes should be drawn to skin/flesh, so in this image, the lifter should be what I see first, and where my eyes should want to go. You have a decent leading line (the barbell) but it becomes overpowered by that shiny thing in the background. Easily fixed with some burning in Photoshop

Post 2, Image #1
Two things distract me... The crop of the image is odd, and the image looks over sharpened or too much clarity. Let's start with the crop...

As a general rule, you should not cut off digits, or any body part at a joint. This becomes distracting, or disturbing for some as it reminds some people of an amputation. For me, I wonder what I am missing in this image? What am I not seeing? If you look at the image quickly, you could mistake the subject for doing something perverted. The image is very bottom weighted with too much space up top and to the right of the image. To me, this image is lacking the story (what is he doing?) - Is he holding something, lifting something? Pulling something? The "what" part is missing from the story.

You could improve this image by making a tighter crop and completely eliminating the hint of an object and making the story the struggle itself.

Post 2, Image #2...
Slightly overcooked, but nice capture overall... There are two major distractions easily fixed in a tighter crop... The metal bar to the right, and the person's arm to the left. As far as I'm concerned, if it is not contributing to the image, it is taking away from it.

Hope this is the type of feedback you were looking for...

jfkmlbcvg
THREAD ­ STARTER
22 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 09, 2013 10:42 as a reply to  @ ScottiG's post |  #4

Thanks Scotti. All good points that i don't disagree with.

On the first photo of the second post, two athletes are holding a 395# log. I missed his hands and the log in my shot and was struggling with how best to crop it.

ScottiG
116 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 09, 2013 11:58 as a reply to  @ jfkmlbcvg's post |  #5

I'm glad you accepted my input constructively. There are posts I read on this site where the styles of criticism/critique is conveyed in a more destructive than constructive manner.

My assumption is, if a person is asking for creative input, then they are being humble and sincere about it. That person is looking to improve as a photographer. Looking to see through the eyes of those observing their images.

In that capacity I'm willing to express what "I" see - Which, in fairness, is quite subjective. Always remember, you don't have to agree with what others see, but you should always consider the insight of others a positive thing when offered, even if you do not agree with their observations.

You, after all, are the artist. It's your job to convey what it is "you" see to the viewer, and for them to see it for themselves.

Hope that makes sense...

KCJAKE
70 posts
Joined Nov 2012

May 09, 2013 13:40 |  #6

Solid shots

Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM
Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM
EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM

m_ove
149 posts
Joined Jul 2009

May 09, 2013 15:04 |  #7

Very good shots, I really like the first one though I agree with Sxotti the first thing I thought was that the image does look crooked, but other than that great shots

Canon EOS 60D Gripped |Canon 430EX ii | Canon 70-200 f4 IS USM | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | Canon EF 50mm 1.8 mk1 | Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | Canon EOS M | Canon EF-M 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 STM |Macbook Pro Mid 2009 2.8 Ghz |

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

May 09, 2013 16:41 |  #8

Not a fan of the processing, the B&W is okay as the processing lends itself to that better.

Background in #1 is really busy, I understand that's the way it was but there's just way too much going on.

#2 is your strongest image, tight but not overly so. Agree about the shiny lanyard tag or whatever it is.

#3 and #4 are just too tight IMO. Great to see the muscle definition but I can't tell what they're doing.

Joel

jfkmlbcvg
THREAD ­ STARTER
22 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 10, 2013 08:10 |  #9

Thanks Jack. Shots #3 and #4 are tight ones intended to show the muscle, strength and focus/struggle. I agree that it is hard to tell the full story of these photos compared to other looser. It is a reminder as the photographer of shoot, while you know the whole story, others only have the image to go by. Culling shots down to 4 or 5 makes it hard to pick !

I appreciate the input on how to refine these to make them, and others, better. I always find it interesting how you may not see things that others do, but once they are pointed out you slap your forehead and say to yourself "how did I miss that". Such as the hot spot on the lanyard in the background.

actlsub9
35 posts
Joined Nov 2006

May 11, 2013 14:04 |  #10

nice shots, a little heavy on the post

whothafunk
156 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 13, 2013 03:18 |  #11

the first picture looks OOF/unsharp and the filters you applied to this pictures.. i cant look at this picture for more than 2 seconds.

basically what scottig said

1DX :: 300mm 2.8L IS USM :: 70-200 f2.8L IS USM II :: 8-15L f4 USM fisheye :: 24-70 2.8L USM :: 1.4x III extender :: Tamron 15-30 f2.8 VC

jfkmlbcvg
THREAD ­ STARTER
22 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 13, 2013 15:47 as a reply to  @ whothafunk's post |  #12

Thanks whothafunk and actlsub9. Most of these shots were intentionally heavy on the post as it fits the nature of the event and competition imo. Any general thoughts on how best to crop shots when there is a lot going on. Better to keep it wide so you get the full range of activity and energy or try to crop tight?

cabinajm
812 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2010

May 15, 2013 12:29 |  #13

Heavy on the post, and I would also try to capture the event that they're doing, not just headshots.

-Chris
A couple Canons, a flash, a bunch of lenses and LIGHTS!
Silverstar Media : Photography - Web Design - Technology Support (external link)

sponsored links

3,166 views & 0 likes for this thread
CrossFit - Mayhem in the Meadowlands
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.