Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 16 May 2013 (Thursday) 08:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

how to achieve a "VINTAGE" look

Lowkey
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 16, 2013 08:45 |  #1

hey all,
i have a friend who would is interested in entering herself in a Pin up model comp. she needs 3 photos done and asked me to take care of that department, ive never actually done this style before and wanted a to know a few tips on PP vintage/retro style, il be using LR$ and CS6
and tips would be greatly appreciated!

sponsored links
Mavgirl
647 posts
Joined Mar 2013

May 16, 2013 10:19 |  #2

What kind of vintage? Color or black and white? In a lot of later pinups that were in color the reds tended to be punched without bleeding so it had a really different look from digital. Though a lot of the color prints have faded because the processes weren't that stable. The faded yellow look is pretty easy to get by adding a warming filter and bringing the blacks and saturation down. But again, it depends on what specific film look you're trying to replicate. Some are faded overall, some have lost blacks but still really pop color wise.

Look at Bunny Yeager's work. Also check out the website for Pinup Girl Clothing... they don't do a retro color look, but it may help you get in the direction you want to go because the overall setup of the shot is so important with these.

6D/50D/350D with too many lenses
Calumet 4x5, Pentax SV 35mm, Canon A-1, Rebel G and many more toys...

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,076 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

May 16, 2013 10:32 |  #3

Link to a sample of what you want vintage to mean. Its like new, the definition is always changing. That said, go to deviantart.com and look through the free action sets there. Tons of color treatment actions there, something will fit your concept.

Ranie ­ Dib
408 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Sep 2010

May 16, 2013 10:41 |  #4

What kind of "vintage"? Soft, pastel like color? BW, or maybe some of those scractched stuff:

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8265/8680043320_3b7551c04f_c.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8257/8673489825_301f0208ce_c.jpg

I just use LR presets and tweak them a bit to my liking, so I spend a bit less time in front of te computer.

www.raniedib.com (external link)

Lowkey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 16, 2013 12:09 |  #5

^love that BW image you posted!
appreciate your help so far guys.
guess retro would be more a suitable name for it, reference image
http://favim.com …asses-Favim.com-51098.jpg (external link)

Mavgirl
647 posts
Joined Mar 2013

May 16, 2013 13:12 |  #6

Lowkey wrote in post #15938043 (external link)
^love that BW image you posted!
appreciate your help so far guys.
guess retro would be more a suitable name for it, reference image
http://favim.com …asses-Favim.com-51098.jpg (external link)

The only thing I see in processing with that one is that it has a very slight green tint, at least on my monitor. Almost like they were trying to keep the reds from screaming and went too far with it.

6D/50D/350D with too many lenses
Calumet 4x5, Pentax SV 35mm, Canon A-1, Rebel G and many more toys...

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 16, 2013 14:43 |  #7

Lightroom has a whole lot of presets, including ones for B&W processing and color processing.

Since you are new at this, I'd set your expectations low, as in you are "learning", not being a professional retoucher.

And then, play with those presets and get a feel of what "works" in Lightroom! That's a great "starting point", since you can freely move around from preset to preset (although you may need to click the Reset button in case one preset has an "additive" effect to the previous one).

From there, the "world" can open up as you move on to Photoshop and more complex but powerful techniques. Whether you are ready to tackle PS for this one "job" is, well, up to you and the time constraints you have. You can, for example, look up "cross-processing" for some interesting effects (retaining and "tweaking" the colors and contrast and such)...if you have the time to pursue some online tutorials!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

ManiZ
594 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Sep 2009

May 17, 2013 17:20 |  #8

Tony is spot on, as usual. I am new to ACR so two of the controls I would recommend playing with are among the simplest in ACR; toning and saturation. They let you split tone an image to pick practically any color tint and then set it at a level of saturation you're happy with for the type of 'vintage' you like. You can then add a top layer of grain to further give it a film-y look.

5D4 Gripped | 16-35 f4L IS | 24-70 f2.8L II | 70-200 f2.8L II IS | 85 f1.8 | 600EX-RT | 430EXII | YN-468II | YN-622c | 'Stuff'

ian_socool
Goldmember
1,805 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 12, 2013 17:41 |  #9

I usually just shoot wide open, brighten and pull contrast out in RGB in Post Process and move the slider curve up. Works just fine, not that difficult.

70D, 70D, SL1, Tokina 11-16 F/2.8, Σ30mm 1.4, 40mm 2.8 Pancake Σ70mm 2.8 EX DG Macro, Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Σ85 1.4, Σ50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM APO, Godox AD 200 X's 2, 430EX II X's 2, Yongnuo YN-560II X's 2, Cowboy Studio wireless flash triggers X4.Ian_socool FlickR (external link) Facebook fanpage (external link) http://ianlynphotograp​hy.com (external link)

sponsored links

3,189 views & 0 likes for this thread
how to achieve a "VINTAGE" look
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.