Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 17 May 2013 (Friday) 10:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you keep your RAWs?

lapino
527 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2010

May 17, 2013 10:39 |  #1

After going through my whole collection of the past 10 years, I've noticed I have a lot (and I do mean a LOT) of gigabytes worth of RAW files on my hard drives. But I also must admit that the chance of me ever revisiting these RAW files is slim to none. I also must admit I seem to be a bit lazy and a lot of times just import my RAW (+JPG) files into Lightroom, just delete the bad ones and then most of them are left untouched.

So how do you do this? I suppose the most interesting thing would be to import the RAWs, edit the photo's, export them to JPG in high quality and then either delete the RAW files or store these on an external drive for backup. But that's quite a bit of work, especially if I'd need to do this for all pictures of the last years.

I'm a 'snapshot' shooter, take thousands of pictures of the kids playing around the house, on trips, on vacation etc. Somehow I feel I cannot document my young kids enough, specially seeing as they grow older they love viewing themselves in those older files (they're 3yrs and 8yrs old).

So, curious how you guys 'organise' this overload of digital files.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/23660915@N07/ (external link)
Gear:
Fuji X-T3 / 18-55 / 23-1.4 / 35-2 / 55-200 / RX100M4
Sony A7III / Tamron 28-75 / 55-1.8

sponsored links
gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,279 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 17, 2013 10:42 |  #2

I do keep my raws though lately I have been scrubbing my library and deleting lots of pictures in general.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Voaky999
Goldmember
3,313 posts
Gallery: 797 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2010

May 17, 2013 10:44 |  #3

Drobo at home and Drobo at work. Terabytes of stuff that I actually revisit more often than one might think. Deleting stuff just doesn't seem right.

Don
"Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

jkru617
220 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 17, 2013 10:44 |  #4

Great question, I am in the same boat. For now I'm going to leave mine since you can buy external storage for so cheap.
But yeah if you wanted to save space the just convert all your Raw to jpegs then delete the raw.

CraigPatterson
287 posts
Joined Jul 2012

May 17, 2013 10:46 |  #5

I keep all my RAWs, and I still have every RAW I've ever shot, as well as every JPG and PSD I've ever created. I may be in the minority, but I never delete anything. I've occasionally needed a RAW that I shot several years ago, and those instances, while they represent about .0001% of my shots, are enough to make me keep everything.

I spent several decades in the music business, and I still have every audio and video file I ever recorded, on any format, as well as machines to play them all back. I haven't needed those files for quite a while, but as soon as I delete something, I'll probably need it within a month.

I have a ton of gear, but my gear is just a hammer.
www.craigpatterson.com (external link)

archer1960
Goldmember
4,931 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

May 17, 2013 10:51 |  #6

I keep all but the total trash ones (way over- or under-exposed, serious motion blur, way out of focus, etc). A few months ago I went through and culled out a bunch that I thought were decent at the time, but now don't meet my standards since I've gotten better.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

lapino
THREAD ­ STARTER
527 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 17, 2013 10:54 |  #7

I understand the somewhat 'strange' feeling about deleting files. In my case especially of my kids. But then again, how many (in succession) shots can one have of ones child eating cake, drawing stuff, jumping a trampoline...

Gear:

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

May 17, 2013 10:56 |  #8

I keep them just as I'd keep negatives or slides. Storage is cheap. I have some 760 gig right now, backed up on two other external drives and online via CrashPlan. Would take too much time to clean them out IMO.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

gjl711
56,279 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 17, 2013 11:06 |  #9

CraigPatterson wrote in post #15941036 (external link)
I keep all my RAWs, and I still have every RAW I've ever shot, as well as every JPG and PSD I've ever created. I may be in the minority, but I never delete anything. I've occasionally needed a RAW that I shot several years ago, and those instances, while they represent about .0001% of my shots, are enough to make me keep everything.

I spent several decades in the music business, and I still have every audio and video file I ever recorded, on any format, as well as machines to play them all back. I haven't needed those files for quite a while, but as soon as I delete something, I'll probably need it within a month.

Maybe it's time the Hoarders crew come into the digital age and create a new show. "Digital Hoarders" :):):)

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,652 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

May 17, 2013 11:06 as a reply to  @ archer1960's post |  #10

RAW processing is continually improving. You never know when an old RAW file that you couldn't make work with yesterday's processing will become a masterpiece with improved processing of tomorrow.

Mark

gjl711
56,279 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 17, 2013 11:08 |  #11

lapino wrote in post #15941071 (external link)
I understand the somewhat 'strange' feeling about deleting files. In my case especially of my kids. But then again, how many (in succession) shots can one have of ones child eating cake, drawing stuff, jumping a trampoline...

That's what i figure. I'm not a pray and spray shooter, but will at times take more pictures of something than needed. I have no problem reviewing them, choosing the best 1 or 3 shots and deleting the rest. Lately I have been getting much pickier and dumping maybe 80%~90% of what I shoot. If I'm not happy with it then, I'm going to be lass happy with it years down the road so into the bit bucket it goes.

*sigh*
Hardware Master (or something like that)
25,047 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 17, 2013 11:11 |  #12

gjl711 wrote in post #15941018 (external link)
I do keep my raws though lately I have been scrubbing my library and deleting lots of pictures in general.

That's what I need to do to... I have a bad habit of just passing over rejects instead of deleting them...

-Nick | Gear | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

archer1960
Goldmember
4,931 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

May 17, 2013 11:20 |  #13

gjl711 wrote in post #15941114 (external link)
That's what i figure. I'm not a pray and spray shooter, but will at times take more pictures of something than needed. I have no problem reviewing them, choosing the best 1 or 3 shots and deleting the rest. Lately I have been getting much pickier and dumping maybe 80%~90% of what I shoot. If I'm not happy with it then, I'm going to be lass happy with it years down the road so into the bit bucket it goes.

Unfortunately, I AM a spray-and-pray shooter, but I do cull as I pull them off the card, keeping only the better ones; I probably keep 10-20% of them.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

lapino
THREAD ­ STARTER
527 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 17, 2013 11:27 |  #14

phantelope wrote in post #15941076 (external link)
I keep them just as I'd keep negatives or slides. Storage is cheap. I have some 760 gig right now, backed up on two other external drives and online via CrashPlan. Would take too much time to clean them out IMO.

You uploaded 760gig tot Crashplan? Have been thinking about some form of online storage too, especially for those extra-sensitive files (newborn for example). But uploading gigs of files to something like crashplan is simply impossible here in Belgium.

Gear:

CraigPatterson
287 posts
Joined Jul 2012

May 17, 2013 11:34 |  #15

phantelope wrote in post #15941076 (external link)

It's cheap in the grand scheme, but I've got 14 Terabytes, so it isn't that cheap. :lol:

I've never considered myself a hoarder, just prudent. Should I consider my denial to be a warning sign?

I have a ton of gear, but my gear is just a hammer.
www.craigpatterson.com (external link)

sponsored links

3,701 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you keep your RAWs?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.