Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 06 May 2013 (Monday) 13:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adobe goes Subscription only

dalto
758 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 17, 2013 12:50 |  #1321

DetlevCM wrote in post #15941464 (external link)
A lack of sufficient RAM was the number one problem with Vista.

The other big performance issue was that existing PC's often didn't have sufficient graphics processors for the eye candy in Vista.

sponsored links
Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 17, 2013 12:56 |  #1322
bannedPermanent ban

pwm2 wrote in post #15941411 (external link)
Strange then that they do support XP, with the exception of the 3D engine for so much of their tools...

But my guess is that they have switched to use Direct 2D which was introduced in Windows 7 and gives hw-accelerated 2D drawing. But Direct 2D is also available in Vista SP2. And lots of programs use to set requirements that they only supports an OS if the service packs are installed. Probably most often just to reduce their false support calls from users with unpatched and buggy OS versions.

But in the general case, it isn't too complicated to support one or two older OS versions too. It's just a question of the developers documenting their API usage and making sure the base functionality keep using the base set of API and additional API released in the latest OS is left for special additions. Then it is easy to document which menu choices that will be blocked with an older OS.

Adobe do have such logic in some of their programs.

The important thing is that supporting an older OS can bring in lots of extra money - far more money than the extra administrative costs when developing and testing. Given the number of licenses Adobe are likely to sell of that tool, it really is strange.

I manage complex automation products and the cost to support old operating systems while taking advantage of the functionality of new operating systems is a huge undertaking. It is not as simple as documenting their API usages. Many times there are subtle, yet major changes between OS's which force the code base in differing directions. Huge efforts in both development and testing to keep your software fully functional on 3 generations of OS...especially complex software like LR which most likely uses a lot of low level OS features.

As a rule, my products only support the current and previous OS, win7 and win8 today.

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

May 17, 2013 12:56 |  #1323

dalto wrote in post #15941481 (external link)
The other big performance issue was that existing PC's often didn't have sufficient graphics processors for the eye candy in Vista.

It really is expensive to play around with all the semi-transparent window elements.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

Billginthekeys
Billy the kid
7,359 posts
Joined Nov 2005

May 17, 2013 12:59 |  #1324

Ohh boy I hit a nerve :lol:. If it helps my case at all, I thought OSX Lion sucked too.

DetlevCM wrote in post #15941416 (external link)
Actually technology obsessed people would know that Vista since SP1 is very solid and that most problems were caused by underpowered Hardware or a lack of proper driver support. All factors outside of Microsoft's hand.

I had Vista Ulimate on two different personal computers, and all the computers at my university had them while I was there, and I thought it was terrible. Granted a lot of that was the GUI/placement changes they made which I hated. Pushed me to get a Mac and never look back. By the time 7 came around they really had a solid OS put together, which I still run on bootcamp on my Mac Pro. However there is no doubt that Vista was not a loved OS by many when it came out, hence my failed attempt at humor:oops:.

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #15941434 (external link)
Hey, I finally went to Win 7 from XP. Skipped Vista all together but did not get around to Win7 adoption until 8 was around and clearly less interesting :)

So even my "upgrade" was behind the times!

Nothing wrong with XP, I am typing this on XP right now.

dalto wrote in post #15941442 (external link)
I actually think the negative press around Vista is greatly overstated. Vista was a little bloated but really it wasn't that bad of an OS. In all honesty, it isn't *that* different from Windows 7 which many people consider the best Microsoft OS ever.

Well, to be fair, they *made* the hardware underpowered by producing a much more resource intensive application than Windows 2000.

My post was largely intended to lighten the atmosphere around this party, at least temporarily. I guess that didn't work out so well :confused:.

Mr. the Kid.
Go Canes!
My Gallery (external link)My Gear
what the L. just go for it.

ToddR
766 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 17, 2013 13:06 |  #1325

Billginthekeys wrote in post #15941401 (external link)
People still use Windows Vista? My goodness, forget Adobe CC for a second, why would anyone pain themselves to use the 2nd worst operating system ever created (first place going to Windows M.E.)?

It was still widely available when I built the PC, though I think 7 was also available.

dalto wrote in post #15941381 (external link)
Does it not run on Vista or do they just not support it?

Testing an installed application on multiple operating systems is a time/labor intensive task and this may be why they don't support it.

I don't know if it will run or allow itself to install if Vista is sensed by the installer.

I was mainly going off of their announcement, which indicated Windows 7 or 8. http://blogs.adobe.com …5-beta-now-available.html (external link)

dalto wrote in post #15941442 (external link)
I actually think the negative press around Vista is greatly overstated. Vista was a little bloated but really it wasn't that bad of an OS. In all honesty, it isn't *that* different from Windows 7 which many people consider the best Microsoft OS ever.

Well, to be fair, they *made* the hardware underpowered by producing a much more resource intensive application than Windows 2000.

I'd agree with that. It's far more 7-like than XP-like in look and feel. It seemed to get a bad rap a bit beyond what was fairly deserved.

For my purposes, limited almost entirely to using Lightroom, I have no major gripes with Vista. My 7-year-old XP box is my home "daily driver," though it's definitely showing its age.

dalto wrote in post #15941481 (external link)

Yeah, that Aero stuff worked wonders on PCs that barely met the spec.

Gear List

ToddR
766 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 17, 2013 13:09 |  #1326

So, my OS and mild computer age notwithstanding, I would like to update to Lightroom 5, assuming it's $100 or so like last time. I don't want to RENT IT.

Gear List

Mark_48
Goldmember
2,068 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 17, 2013 14:06 |  #1327

DetlevCM wrote in post #15941218 (external link)
Ah, a virus collector :).
(unless you locked it down properly)

Nope, never had a virus problem. Keep protections update and do scans once in a while.
WinXP runs pretty much neck and neck with Windows 7.....
Top Operating System Share Trend (external link)

I upgrade my OS's like I do my photo software. Still on CS3 and see no need for anything newer. This is likely part of the reason Adobe went to a subscription, it forces users to keep the cash flow going, rather than stop at a version that their satisfied with.

Megapixels and high ISO are a digital photographers heroin. Once you have a little, you just want more and more. It doesn't stop until your bank account is run dry.

dalto
758 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 17, 2013 14:11 |  #1328

Mark_48 wrote in post #15941716 (external link)
This is likely part of the reason Adobe went to a subscription, it forces users to keep the cash flow going, rather than stop at a version that their satisfied with.

That and they don't have to split the profit with their distributors.

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 17, 2013 14:54 |  #1329

ToddR wrote in post #15941544 (external link)
So, my OS and mild computer age notwithstanding, I would like to update to Lightroom 5, assuming it's $100 or so like last time. I don't want to RENT IT.

You can still buy Lr as a stand-alone product. Adobe has stated that they plan to keep it this way.

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

ToddR
766 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 17, 2013 16:10 |  #1330

drvnbysound wrote in post #15941834 (external link)
You can still buy Lr as a stand-alone product. Adobe has stated that they plan to keep it this way.

Indeed they have. I hope they keep it that way.

That keeps the options open for a guy like me who would need to upgrade his OS to upgrade to LR5. I can choose to use LR4 on my Vista rig indefinitely, or pay once to upgrade. None of this rental nonsense.  :p

Gear List

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 17, 2013 17:19 |  #1331

drvnbysound wrote in post #15941834 (external link)

Do you have a source link?

I haven't seen a statement from Adobe saying they plan to keep it as a standalone product. I've only seen a statement from Adobe saying they "have no plans" to make it a subscription product. The former is entirely different from the latter.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

pbelarge
Goldmember
2,837 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 17, 2013 17:38 |  #1332

cdifoto wrote in post #15942222 (external link)

I haven't seen a statement from Adobe saying they plan to keep it as a standalone product. I've only seen a statement from Adobe saying they "have no plans" to make it a subscription product. The former is entirely different from the latter.

It is all about the words chosen, and hoping most do not see (or understand) the subtlety.

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,417 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 17, 2013 17:40 |  #1333

cdifoto wrote in post #15942222 (external link)

One step at a time. I think if they tossed both into the subscription bucket the planet would have exploded. :)

First nail them with photoshop. Some pay, some whine, some leave. Then, maybe a year or two from now toss LR into the subscription bucket as well. More sign up, more whine, and more leave but in the end, Adobe gets what it wants, more subscribers paying much higher prices.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

adza77
652 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 17, 2013 20:06 |  #1334

gjl711 wrote in post #15942272 (external link)
One step at a time. I think if they tossed both into the subscription bucket the planet would have exploded. :)

First nail them with photoshop. Some pay, some whine, some leave. Then, maybe a year or two from now toss LR into the subscription bucket as well. More sign up, more whine, and more leave but in the end, Adobe gets what it wants, more subscribers paying much higher prices.

Got to be a little more subtle than that. If they've stated they don't plan on making LR subscription, then what they would probably do is change LR to a different name, or package it as a 'creative' application - and then they can put it in the cloud, whilst maintaining their original statement.

Effectively doing the same thing, but giving them the ability to announce that LR won't be going subscription atm.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,417 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 17, 2013 20:23 |  #1335

But they never said that. They said that there are no plans. Plans can be made quite easily but you do have a point. LR5 will be the last perpetual license piece of software, that's m prediction. LR6 will become some cloud app.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links

143,694 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adobe goes Subscription only
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.