Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 May 2013 (Friday) 19:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New to DSLR

luvdsny
32 posts
Joined Nov 2011

May 17, 2013 19:10 |  #1

Ok, so you have seen that title a million times. ;)
I have been lurking on these boards for months trying to make a wise decision. Let me tell you my mindset, new is better. However after reading many posts I am learning that may not be true. I've been seeing a lot of postings on refurbs. thru Cannon. Has anyone bought from Canon? Did you have a good experience? The boards also suggest good pricing from B&H and Adorama. Could you tell me your experiences on any of these. I called Canon about the loyalty program, seems with the return of my old camera (Canon SD1000) it won't drop a refurb price at all.

Someone on the boards posted a pretty comical review on the new t5i and now I can't find it. So here is my thinking I am leaning toward a t3i with a 18-135mm lens. Just having a hard time with the "new is better" mind frame. I like the price point of the t3i and the reviews from owners are excellent. Any feedback would be great.
I currently have a point and shoot Canon SX150 and wanting to upgrade.

Thanks in advance for great feedback.

- Melissa
"Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - Unknown.
Canon EOS Rebel T3i, Kit Lens EF-S 18-55mm and 55 -250mm lens. EF 50mm lens.

sponsored links
kozal01
508 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 17, 2013 19:20 |  #2

I have purchased from B&H a few times and they are great. Great prices and great customer service. As for your camera choice I cant say much more than the T3i would be a great starter DSLR. The Rebel's are great for new users and a great stepping stone into a more "pro" camera if you ever feel the need.

60D<>Rebel XS <>Canon 15-85 USM<>Canon 18-55 Kit <>Canon 75-300 III USM<>Canon 50 1.4 USM<>Canon 430 EX II

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

May 17, 2013 19:25 |  #3

The differences between rebels are not very significant. New is not a requirement. Canon bodies generally don't have significant issues that affect picture taking, so used is fine and refurbs are fine.

There's also a full frame 5d for about 500 used which is a much better camera.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 17, 2013 19:31 |  #4

What is it that you want your camera to do better than what you have currently? What do you usually shoot?

B&H is a great place, they've always treated me well (even when I had to return a DOA lens).

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

luvdsny
THREAD ­ STARTER
32 posts
Joined Nov 2011

May 17, 2013 19:59 |  #5

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #15942475 (external link)
The differences between rebels are not very significant. New is not a requirement. Canon bodies generally don't have significant issues that affect picture taking, so used is fine and refurbs are fine.

There's also a full frame 5d for about 500 used which is a much better camera.

DocFrankenstein - I was under the impression that the EOS were the easiest for beginners to learn. Did you find the 5D easy to use?

LowriderS10 wrote in post #15942483 (external link)
What is it that you want your camera to do better than what you have currently? What do you usually shoot?

B&H is a great place, they've always treated me well (even when I had to return a DOA lens).

LowriderS010 - I want to do "fancier stuff" than I think my current camera can do. I do a lot of landscape photos but am open to learning more. There are photo safaris in my area that I would love to attend, but they require a DSLR.

- Melissa
"Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - Unknown.

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

May 17, 2013 20:50 |  #6

luvdsny wrote in post #15942547 (external link)
DocFrankenstein - I was under the impression that the EOS were the easiest for beginners to learn. Did you find the 5D easy to use?

5D is an EOS camera. 5D is just as easy to use as a rebel or any other camera. Any camera you buy, you need to read the manual to find out how to change aperture, shutter speed and ISO. They all have an automatic "green box" mode if you're not sure.

But 5D is full frame. 5D captures more light, giving you a better quality picture and also cheaper wide angle lenses for landscape. 5D has a larger and brighter viewfinder which makes it easier to see what it is you're actually shooting.

http://www.kenrockwell​.com/tech/full-frame-advantage.htm (external link)

Mavgirl
647 posts
Joined Mar 2013

May 17, 2013 21:28 as a reply to  @ DocFrankenstein's post |  #7

If the goal is to save some cash on a Rebel I'd look at the T2i instead of the T3i. It has the same sensor and most of the same features... the T3i is a refinement of the T2i, not really a whole new model. If you want newer spend a little more on the T4i, it's got a newer sensor and image processor, better features for video and a few other nice things for casual shooters. The T5i is a refinement of the T4i and uses the same sensor and is at it's heart the same camera a the T4i.

One thing you should do is go to the store and hold these cameras before you buy. The 5D line are giants compared to the Rebels. And they'll all be a decent amount larger than what you've got. Make sure you're good with the size and weight of what you get. If it's not comfortable to hold you won't use it.

6D/50D/350D with too many lenses
Calumet 4x5, Pentax SV 35mm, Canon A-1, Rebel G and many more toys...

luvdsny
THREAD ­ STARTER
32 posts
Joined Nov 2011

May 17, 2013 21:55 |  #8

Mavgirl wrote in post #15942737 (external link)
If the goal is to save some cash on a Rebel I'd look at the T2i instead of the T3i. It has the same sensor and most of the same features... the T3i is a refinement of the T2i, not really a whole new model. If you want newer spend a little more on the T4i, it's got a newer sensor and image processor, better features for video and a few other nice things for casual shooters. The T5i is a refinement of the T4i and uses the same sensor and is at it's heart the same camera a the T4i.

One thing you should do is go to the store and hold these cameras before you buy. The 5D line are giants compared to the Rebels. And they'll all be a decent amount larger than what you've got. Make sure you're good with the size and weight of what you get. If it's not comfortable to hold you won't use it.

Thanks mavgirl, I will head to store and check them out. I would like to break into the dslr world but don't want to spend $2000 on a camera. Looking more in the range of $500 -$800. Thanks for the input!

- Melissa

cab ­ ny
101 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 17, 2013 22:37 |  #9

the T2i is a nice camera

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,654 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 17, 2013 23:08 |  #10

The T3i has a few extras over the T2i. At this stage both of them are deeply discounted from their original prices.

One feature I consider major in the T3i is the Wireless Flash Commander. It is a great and inexpensive way to get started with flash photography. Like everything else, if you like it, the sky is the limit...

Also, I like the flippy screen... :D

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

mafoo
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 17, 2013 23:32 |  #11

Here is my 2 cents.

The T3 sucks. Any DSLR from Canon in the last 3 years, that is not the T3, is a good camera. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Now on to referbs... I have a few things I bought from Canon as a referb. One of my lenses, and my 5D Mk II body. Both are flawless. Can't tell the difference from new.

However I bought both of them while there was an additional 15% discount going on, and I happen to live in a state with no sales tax, so it worked out for me.

The quality is the same. I would not worry about it.

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 17, 2013 23:49 |  #12

luvdsny wrote in post #15942453 (external link)
I have been lurking on these boards for months trying to make a wise decision. Let me tell you my mindset, new is better. However after reading many posts I am learning that may not be true. I've been seeing a lot of postings on refurbs. thru Cannon. Has anyone bought from Canon? Did you have a good experience? The boards also suggest good pricing from B&H and Adorama. Could you tell me your experiences on any of these. I called Canon about the loyalty program, seems with the return of my old camera (Canon SD1000) it won't drop a refurb price at all.

Someone on the boards posted a pretty comical review on the new t5i and now I can't find it. So here is my thinking I am leaning toward a t3i with a 18-135mm lens. Just having a hard time with the "new is better" mind frame. I like the price point of the t3i and the reviews from owners are excellent. Any feedback would be great.

If you're really okay with not buying new, then your options expand a lot.

If you're on an aggressive budget (and it sounds like you are), then the more bang for the buck from the camera body, the better.

In this case, you should strongly consider going with a 40D. The camera body will run you about $300 to $350. That'll free up some serious money for lenses, which is what makes the real difference in terms of image quality (until you start talking about really high ISOs, i.e. ISO 6400 and up).

And even at high ISOs, the 40D holds its own very well. Here's an ISO 5000 shot (ISO 3200, pushed 2/3 of a stop):

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8124/8685533440_a4e70abce3_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/n2185x/86855334​40/  (external link)
img_9017-1.jpg (external link) by n2185x (external link), on Flickr

The 40D is very fast (6.5 frames/second burst rate), built really well, has excellent image quality, excellent autofocus (same autofocus system as in the 60D and T5i), handles very well, and is dirt cheap these days.

If you're seriously considering going with used equipment, the 40D is, I think, the way to go at this point in time. It's really hard to get more camera for your money than with that. And it's not a complicated camera by any means (no more so than any other DSLR, at any rate), so it won't be harder for you to learn how to use it well than any other DSLR body.

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

Yasick
183 posts
Joined Nov 2012

May 18, 2013 00:21 |  #13

I cant stress enough how good the 550D is for learning. I started off with 550D, understanding how dslr's work with having 0 skill or knowledge of photography. It took me a year + to realise its weakness then i moved onto 7d, then 5dm3. Just my 2 cents.

flickr (external link)
500px (external link)
5Dmk3 || EF 17-40mm f/4L USM || Carl Zeiss Distagon 21mm f/2.8 || EF 100mm F2.8 L IS USM Macro

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

May 18, 2013 00:34 |  #14

Yasick wrote in post #15943025 (external link)
I cant stress enough how good the 550D is for learning. I started off with 550D, understanding how dslr's work with having 0 skill or knowledge of photography. It took me a year + to realise its weakness then i moved onto 7d, then 5dm3. Just my 2 cents.

Any DSLR will do for learning. It can be 300D and the first kit lens for 200 bucks.

rockygarcia
391 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 18, 2013 00:59 |  #15

luvdsny wrote in post #15942453 (external link)

My humble opinion is that the best beginners starter kit is the T4i kit with at 18-55is and 50-250is. Good camera and, for the price, solid starter lenses.

1DX | 17-40 F4L | 24-70 2.8L | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8 | 200 2.8L for sale | 70-200 2.8 IS IIL | 300 F4L | 100-400L | Kenko Pro 300 1.4x DGX | 2x Canon Tele III | 430EXII

sponsored links

3,142 views & 0 likes for this thread
New to DSLR
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.