Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 16 May 2013 (Thursday) 09:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

online photgraphy class

AndrewsDK
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined May 2013

May 16, 2013 09:13 |  #1

i would like to take a class to learn to take better photos. i cant seem to find any classes in our nearest city, which wouldn't be practical anyway at 35 miles away.

can anyone reommend a virtual class, or excellent step-by-step blog?

thanks1

sponsored links
iamascientist
680 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 16, 2013 09:33 |  #2

What exactly is it you want to learn? Where do you feel your lacking? Are you a complete beginner as in no idea about exposure or anything?

All the information is out there for free, as a beginner, Google searches and YouTube are your friend.

AndrewsDK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined May 2013

May 16, 2013 09:40 as a reply to  @ iamascientist's post |  #3

I took a b&w film photography course waaaay back in high school, so at one point, I did learn all about different speeds and aperatures and what not, but have forgotten most of it.

I've been doing simple point & shoot for the past umpteen years. I just got a new G15 and want to learn how to really use all the manual settings, when & why.

I've seen tons of tutorials on the web, but they are often on one topic. I'm looking for something that systematically goes through, starting at the basics, to learning photography.

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

May 16, 2013 09:42 |  #4

no one one can teach you how to take good pictures, that comes from practice, trial and error. what you can learn is how to expose properly and different lighting and composition techniques all of which is free on the net.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

Stelvio
165 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2010

May 16, 2013 09:42 |  #5

you could try the digital photography course @ nyip.com

They also off a more comprehensive pro course

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

May 16, 2013 09:44 |  #6

the basics of exposure:

http://www.cambridgein​colour.com/tutorials/c​amera-exposure.htm (external link)

rules of composition:

http://www.photography​mad.com …ography-composition-rules (external link)

anything else just ask.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

JCH77Yanks
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Mar 2007

May 16, 2013 09:51 as a reply to  @ mike_311's post |  #7

About 80% of my technical knowledge when it comes to photography can be attributed to visiting and interacting on this very forum. As far as picking up little tips and tricks here and there, mostly youtube, and pro photog blogs. When it comes to developing my vision and discerning eye, that only comes with practice and patience.

Joe Halliday
7D | XT | 10-22 | 24-105 f/4L | 28 1.8 | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8 | 580EXII | 430EXII | 430EX | Flickr (external link)| 500px (external link) |
Dial "M" for Manual.

zerovision
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 16, 2013 09:53 |  #8

Lots of youtube videos out there from basics to specific settings, but you can try kelbytraining.com. They have tons of videos, books, seminars.. etc to get started in the right direction. Also, Lynda.com is similar, but with a wider range for video and tons of software training.

I like kelbytraining.com for learning camera, lighting, strobes or flash, etc. They have several different instructors that specialize in weddings, seniors, studio portraits, on location, one light, composition, you name it and they've got it.

Check them out. You do need to practice a lot, it will help you more that anything, but the videos will help you get familiar with the equipment and a better understanding of how settings work together so that when you do practice, your not spending more time trying to figure out things.

lilkngster
721 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

May 16, 2013 12:27 |  #9

I did the understanding exposure course with Bryan Peterson, the author, via PPSOP. Knowledge wise, the course did not add anything more than is in the book or can be found online. The only benefit I saw was having "professional" critiques, but I always felt they were overly nice, since we were all paying students.

Everything I got from that class can be done online, but not in as organized fashion. Understanding Exposure book itself is pretty cheap compared to any online classes and you can always get critiques here on POTN. If you have the money, like to be spoonfed the info, and need someone to give you an assignment for the week with a deadline, then an online couse might be for you.

6dII/80d/1dIII|8mm to 400mm|Pro-10/100

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,838 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

May 16, 2013 13:01 |  #10

I was where you are back in 2010 and I bought: http://www.amazon.com …phy-Guides/dp/1285434668/ (external link) (though mine was the G12 edition)

and: www.amazon.com/Underst​anding-Exposure-3rd-Photographs-Camera/dp/0817439390 (external link)

And I hung around the G12 threads here... along with the more general G threads. A great group of people gather there and they were very helpful to me.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

AndrewsDK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined May 2013

May 16, 2013 16:41 as a reply to  @ Phoenixkh's post |  #11

Thanks for all your help. I will be checking out those links and resources.

I have already ordered the Busch book which may have all I need, beyond practice of course!

scroller52
964 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 16, 2013 21:59 |  #12

just watch videos on youtube, theres a TON of useful info there. especially from BH and adorama.
any topic you want to learn is really out there.

and dont forget right here, POTN, theres so much info here, but you do need to sort out what is useful and what isnt.

Canon EOS 5D3 | Canon 24mm 1.4L mkII | Canon 85mm 1.2L mkI | Canon 40mm 2.8
my flickr (external link)
my picasa (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,995 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 16, 2013 22:15 |  #13

Just shoot! :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CaliWalkabout
337 posts
Joined May 2010

May 17, 2013 18:21 |  #14

My wife bought a class for me at Betterphoto.com recently. I took advantage of the refund option after the first week. The first lesson was terribly basic and uninspring, and just sitting there reading someone's advice is something I can do for free for many hours on the web. I'd rather take an in-person class where there's discussion, rather than endure another message board-type situation.

I'm hoping I can convince my wife to switch her present into an online writing course, something I'd actually enjoy and get something from.

6D, 17-40L, 24L II, 50L, 100L, 70-300L.

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,450 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 18, 2013 16:31 |  #15

Honestly, if you're not getting a hands on approach at a physical school why would you attend an online class with all this knowledge here? Here, you can pay me and I'll set you up on assignments if that's what you want. :D That's what an online photography class would be like.

Given, that would be really cool. I know we kinda have that with the photography challenges. Man, I need to get back into those.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

sponsored links

2,495 views & 0 likes for this thread
online photgraphy class
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.