Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 19 May 2013 (Sunday) 10:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bottleneck from 135f2l on t3i?

Romax12
189 posts
Joined Dec 2012

May 19, 2013 10:25 |  #1

Hello guys.

Im considering adding the 135 f2l to my collection.
Ive seen alot of reviews of real-world-testing and they all say that the lens is really sharp, but looking ar the iso1233 tool on the digitial picture.com i see that this lens is not so amazing or different than my 18-135 at 135.
Is it true? Do I really need to get a full frame body to get the max out of the lens?

Edit: what i meant in the testing was changing the body from 1ds mark iii to 60d

Canon t3i
--- EF-S 18-135 f3.5-5.6 IS --- EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS usm ---
600ex-rt and yn-622c (2x)

sponsored links
DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,278 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

May 19, 2013 10:42 |  #2

it's 3 stops faster than your 18-135mm...that's what you're paying for...135mm is a pretty long primefor a crop...what are your intended uses for it?

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,785 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2009

May 19, 2013 10:44 |  #3

The 135Lfast lens will make your jaw drop on any body once you see the pic on your monitor. I shoot with both a ff and 1.6x body and it's equally amazing on both.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,627 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 19, 2013 10:44 |  #4

Romax12 wrote in post #15946519 (external link)
Hello guys.

Im considering adding the 135 f2l to my collection.
Ive seen alot of reviews of real-world-testing and they all say that the lens is really sharp, but looking ar the iso1233 tool on the digitial picture.com i see that this lens is not so amazing or different than my 18-135 at 135.
Is it true? Do I really need to get a full frame body to get the max out of the lens?

Edit: what i meant in the testing was changing the body from 1ds mark iii to 60d

Yes! It's a matter of physics... The lens will dump a certain number of lines per mm on the sensor. A sensor that is 1.6 times longer will capture 1.6 times more lines than the crop. Since you are reviewing the same size photo from either sensor (with pretty much similar number of pixels in the same dimension...) you will get more sharpness from the full frame.

Assuming that your sensor pixel density does not push the resolving power of the lens etc etc.

EDIT: Not that I don't grin like an idiot every time I look at a photo of the EF70-20 MkII taken with my 60D... :D

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

Romax12
THREAD ­ STARTER
189 posts
Joined Dec 2012

May 19, 2013 11:33 |  #5

DreDaze wrote in post #15946570 (external link)
it's 3 stops faster than your 18-135mm...that's what you're paying for...135mm is a pretty long primefor a crop...what are your intended uses for it?

I know, but im also giving uo IS etc'.. what I meant was a diffrence in image quality.

The other who have reply, thank you both.
I think that I will get this lens, cause like Kai says: bodies get outdated, but the lenses not.

Canon t3i

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

May 19, 2013 11:36 |  #6

For a beginner with a Rebel and kit lens, I kinda hate to see them try to spend $1K or more on a lens next. Why not work your way up? The EF 135/2.8 is a great lens, almost as sharp as the f/2 version and much faster than what you have now. Are you even sure 135mm should be your next pourchase? Gene

GEAR LIST

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,755 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

May 19, 2013 11:37 |  #7

MakisM1 wrote in post #15946577 (external link)
Yes! It's a matter of physics... The lens will dump a certain number of lines per mm on the sensor. A sensor that is 1.6 times longer will capture 1.6 times more lines than the crop. Since you are reviewing the same size photo from either sensor (with pretty much similar number of pixels in the same dimension...) you will get more sharpness from the full frame.

Assuming that your sensor pixel density does not push the resolving power of the lens etc etc.

EDIT: Not that I don't grin like an idiot every time I look at a photo of the EF70-20 MkII taken with my 60D... :D

^

For example, photozone.de says 50mm f/1.4 permits a 15MPixel FF camera to capture 3740 line-pairs per frame height while
a 15MPixel APS-C camera only captures 2598 line-pairs per frame height

The large a format size, the more TOTAL RESOLUTION can be achieved, plus the captured image has to be magnified a lesser amount in order to make given frame size, so that the resolution on print is higher with larger formats, too. For example,
We magnify FF by about 8.5x, while we magnify the smaller APS-C by about 13.6x, to make an 8x10 from each.

• FF: 3740/24 = 156 line-pairs per mm on sensor; and 156/8.5 = 18.4 line-pairs per mm on print
  • APS-C: 2598/14.9 = 174 line-pairs per mm on sensor; but 174/13.6 = 12.8 line-pairs per mm on print

If course, the underlying assumption of the above comparison is that you FRAME the shot for same content with both FF and APS-C...which means that you stand 1.6x farther away with APS-C camera!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

May 19, 2013 11:39 |  #8

Is all this tech talk really helping anyone?

GEAR LIST

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,278 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

May 19, 2013 11:40 |  #9

Romax12 wrote in post #15946713 (external link)
I know, but im also giving uo IS etc'.. what I meant was a diffrence in image quality.

The other who have reply, thank you both.
I think that I will get this lens, cause like Kai says: bodies get outdated, but the lenses not.

again though, what are you planning on using it for...i have a 135mm f2.8, and I think it has limited uses for a crop camera

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Wilt
42,755 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 19, 2013 11:43 |  #10

gasrocks wrote in post #15946735 (external link)
Is all this tech talk really helping anyone?

The OP asked, "Do I really need to get a full frame body to get the max out of the lens?", and the technical background behind the analysis and the truth behind the answer is provided for better comprehension.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Wilt
42,755 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 19, 2013 11:54 |  #11

photozone.de reports that 18-135mm lens at 135mm FL provides 2439 line-pairs per frame height from 15MPixel APS-C camera... a mere 6% increase in delivered resolution from the 135mm f/2 lens, and that is a sufficiently small difference to not necessarily impress someone!

dmnelson
Goldmember
1,286 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2010

May 19, 2013 11:57 as a reply to  @ gasrocks's post |  #12

Sure, you could say you need FF to realize the full potential of any lens…

But that doesn't mean it's not worth owning on a crop. Sharpness is just one piece of the puzzle. There's also focusing speed, bokeh, aperture, build quality, all of which may be different than your existing lenses even if you found sharpness to be the same…

But you should consider gasrocks's advice. As your first big purchase after the kit lenses, this may be overkill. What are your needs and what do you want to shoot? You might be better served by getting two or three other lenses that are less expensive (but still good!) to round out your collection rather than blowing it all on one über-lens as your first purchase.

Gear | Flickr (external link)

Romax12
THREAD ­ STARTER
189 posts
Joined Dec 2012

May 19, 2013 12:03 |  #13

gasrocks, FIY, im not a super reach guy who is looking to spend money on useless things he doesn't even like - i'm considering all of my options, and look at every singel lens and camera reviews out there, and saving money since last year - because im 16. As I said, money doesn't grow on trees and I don't want to get the wrong decision when talking about 1k in dollars.
I feel that my current equipment limits my photography, and I want to go one step ahead.
I like shooting family and friends, from the waist-above-head style. I also like take pictures of my dog running and landscapes and wildlife.
I also considered the 100-400, beacuse we are planning a trip to tanzania next april (nothing's certain though). So im in the boat for my next purchase.

Canon t3i

Wilt
42,755 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 19, 2013 12:14 |  #14

Romax,
As proven by the MTF values in photozone.de tests, you will not see a significant gain in overall detail resolution by purchasing a 135mm f/2 lens over your current zoom.
My advice, in view of that fact, is that you look to spend your hard-to-acquire money on something that increases the flexibility of your shooting environment... a 100-400mm might be right, but you might simply ask your parents to help you to RENT that lens, and spend the money saved on a lens that helps you in everyday shooting; you might find

• a somewhat wider AOV than 18mm provides, and/or
  • a 50-250mm lens might be more valuable to you even when not in Tanzania. Or you might find that
  • a faster max aperture lens -- even though it falls within the 18-135mm range that you already own -- allows you to shoot in lower light without flash more often.
  • Or a good quality tripod and ballhead might do more to improve the quality of your shots, even with your existing equipment!

Romax12
THREAD ­ STARTER
189 posts
Joined Dec 2012

May 19, 2013 12:21 |  #15

Wilt wrote in post #15946813 (external link)
Romax,
As proven by the MTF values in photozone.de tests, you will not see a significant gain in overall detail resolution by purchasing a 135mm f/2 lens over your current zoom.
My advice, in view of that fact, is that you look to spend your hard-to-acquire money on something that increases the flexibility of your shooting environment... a 100-400mm might be right, but you might simply ask your parents to help you to RENT that lens, and spend the money saved on a lens that helps you in everyday shooting; you might find
  • a somewhat wider AOV than 18mm provides, and/or
  • a 50-250mm lens might be more valuable to you even when not in Tanzania. Or you might find that
  • a faster max aperture lens -- even though it falls within the 18-135mm range that you already own -- allows you to shoot in lower light without flash more often.
  • Or a good quality tripod and ballhead might do more to improve the quality of your shots, even with your existing equipment!

what's AOV?
and i have a manfrotto mk294 I think is the name.. with a 3d head. I find myself shooting 90% of the time at the long end, and only going wider for landscapes, astrophotograpy, group shots etc'

Canon t3i

sponsored links

4,948 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bottleneck from 135f2l on t3i?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.