Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 01 Oct 2012 (Monday) 15:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

odin advice

ernestoqr
426 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 01, 2012 15:51 |  #1

are they as good as pw?
any bad side
I need some radio triggers for wedding photography
I was using cactus but is hard some times to go every time to change settings in case i need
thanks

sponsored links
MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,696 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 01, 2012 19:45 |  #2

isn't Odin a character in some movie?

DHPHOTO66
186 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 01, 2012 21:43 |  #3

ernestoqr wrote in post #15066276 (external link)
are they as good as pw?
any bad side
I need some radio triggers for wedding photography
I was using cactus but is hard some times to go every time to change settings in case i need
thanks

Start here: https://photography-on-the.net …94&highlight=ph​ottix+odin

Uncle Donn | http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dhphoto66/ (external link)

agv8or
Goldmember
2,149 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 01, 2012 21:43 |  #4

I am not sure what you have for Speedlites now but my advice would be to sell them and go with the 600EX-RT's and ST-E3-RT, adding 600EX-RT's as you need them. I have used the Radio Popper PX's since they were first introduced and was unlucky enough to add a Phottix Odin several days before the 600EX-RT's were introduced but since buying the 600EX-RT's I have not used either the RPs or the Odin. You'll be money ahead and have more creative options with the 600EX-RTs than with the Odins.

Rand

Gear

elv
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 01, 2012 22:43 as a reply to  @ agv8or's post |  #5

The Odins are great but it depends how you work, if you need a flash on camera and focus assist the 600exRF make a lot of sense.

If you have existing flashes like the 580ex you can still save quite a few dollars with the Odins. They work just the same with older bodies like the original 5D as well.

Check my review here for more detail on them - http://flashhavoc.com/ (external link)

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

20DNewbie
"don't listen to me, I'm an idiot"
2,732 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 03, 2012 08:22 |  #6

I haven't used my Odins much but when I do I love them. Say your using just the flash(single/multiple,​group/s) and the light just isn't right, to focused or to wide, just zoom the head in or out right from the TCU and your sorted.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the 600 so I don't know if they are able to do that also.

Christian.

ernestoqr
THREAD ­ STARTER
426 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 04, 2012 10:47 |  #7

Thanks I am taking a look at that

agv8or wrote in post #15067632 (external link)
I am not sure what you have for Speedlites now but my advice would be to sell them and go with the 600EX-RT's and ST-E3-RT, adding 600EX-RT's as you need them. I have used the Radio Popper PX's since they were first introduced and was unlucky enough to add a Phottix Odin several days before the 600EX-RT's were introduced but since buying the 600EX-RT's I have not used either the RPs or the Odin. You'll be money ahead and have more creative options with the 600EX-RTs than with the Odins.

Those are expensive and I guess that I will have to buy new receivers and everything to make my 580 to work I rather put that money in lenses ,,but thatnks for the info I didnt knew about it

20DNewbie wrote in post #15073960 (external link)
I haven't used my Odins much but when I do I love them. Say your using just the flash(single/multiple,​group/s) and the light just isn't right, to focused or to wide, just zoom the head in or out right from the TCU and your sorted.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the 600 so I don't know if they are able to do that also.

What is TCU? do you know if I can use those cables that are put on the hot shoe and pass the info to any unit on top of it and also send the info by the cable to flash in a bracket?
That way I dont ahve to buy another reciever

20DNewbie
"don't listen to me, I'm an idiot"
2,732 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 04, 2012 16:53 |  #8

TCU=transmitter

I'm not really sure if the sync cord option would work or not, never used one myself.

Christian.

elv
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 04, 2012 20:37 |  #9

ernestoqr wrote in post #15079005 (external link)
What is TCU? do you know if I can use those cables that are put on the hot shoe and pass the info to any unit on top of it and also send the info by the cable to flash in a bracket?
That way I dont ahve to buy another reciever

No, no one we know of has had any cable work like this yet, you need the extra receiver mounted on a bracket above the camera.

The main thing though is the flash works correctly above camera and the zoom can be set to auto to follow the flash, while the remote slave zooms are set to manual.

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

dwdallam
126 posts
Joined Oct 2011

May 19, 2013 01:46 |  #10

agv8or wrote in post #15067632 (external link)

Really bad advice. Please make sure you understand the RT system's limitations, which are plenty. It won't even sync at your camera's max sync speed unless your camera is 2012 or newer.

(1) Can't do 2nd curtain off camera, regardless of your camera. Canon doesn't seem smart enough to implement this feature. PW and Phottix Odins do.
(2) Can't use the new groups function unless your camera is 2012 or newer.
(3) You will lose 1 full stop when syncing older cameras made before 2012: If you have a max sync speed of 1/200th, that means when using the new RT system, you will be limited to 1/100th shutter speed.
(4) Cannot adjust zoom from the STE3 controller: Both PW and Phottix can do this.
(5) Cannot mix studio strobes or other flashes.

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

May 19, 2013 07:18 |  #11

I've had the Odin for a short time now and they work great. It's nice to be able to set everything right at the camera without having to go to each flash and the LCD on the Odin makes it even more convenient. I have a 580EX and 580EX II. I sold my PWII units and Flex. The Odin really comes through in situations that my PW failed. With the new PW's and 580 flash, you will need to add a shield because of RF noise generated by the flash. I feel that the Odin got rid of my headaches better than aspirin

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

dwdallam
126 posts
Joined Oct 2011

May 19, 2013 17:01 |  #12

I had PW do their internal RF coating on all my flashes. that did take care of RF interference, but the system was still unreliable lie crazy--full flash dumps, inconsistent ettl results, etc. I never could get it to work after two years of hard core logical trouble shooting. finally gave up. I just could not see any pattern that I could nail down, except 'prepare for it to misfire on every shoot, and lots of the time."

I'm going to do a video of the Odins soon. They will misfire, and I'm going to prove that.

Mike R wrote in post #15946074 (external link)
I've had the Odin for a short time now and they work great. It's nice to be able to set everything right at the camera without having to go to each flash and the LCD on the Odin makes it even more convenient. I have a 580EX and 580EX II. I sold my PWII units and Flex. The Odin really comes through in situations that my PW failed. With the new PW's and 580 flash, you will need to add a shield because of RF noise generated by the flash. I feel that the Odin got rid of my headaches better than aspirin

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

May 19, 2013 19:08 |  #13

dwdallam wrote in post #15947574 (external link)
I had PW do their internal RF coating on all my flashes. that did take care of RF interference, but the system was still unreliable lie crazy--full flash dumps, inconsistent ettl results, etc. I never could get it to work after two years of hard core logical trouble shooting. finally gave up. I just could not see any pattern that I could nail down, except 'prepare for it to misfire on every shoot, and lots of the time."

I'm going to do a video of the Odins soon. They will misfire, and I'm going to prove that.

I don't doubt for a minute that the Odins can misfire. Cordless phones and other devices on the same frequency can cause problems. The main problem I have with PW is that during testing, they must have become aware of the problem and not sell the devices without correcting the problem OR letting people know about it. The problem was cronic with the PW's

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

agv8or
Goldmember
2,149 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006

May 19, 2013 22:16 |  #14

dwdallam wrote in post #15945724 (external link)
Really bad advice. Please make sure you understand the RT system's limitations, which are plenty. It won't even sync at your camera's max sync speed unless your camera is 2012 or newer.

(1) Can't do 2nd curtain off camera, regardless of your camera. Canon doesn't seem smart enough to implement this feature. PW and Phottix Odins do.
(2) Can't use the new groups function unless your camera is 2012 or newer.
(3) You will lose 1 full stop when syncing older cameras made before 2012: If you have a max sync speed of 1/200th, that means when using the new RT system, you will be limited to 1/100th shutter speed.
(4) Cannot adjust zoom from the STE3 controller: Both PW and Phottix can do this.
(5) Cannot mix studio strobes or other flashes.

It was just my opinion and the OP can do with it what he likes. I currently have and use both Odins and 600EX-RT's as my needs warrant so my opinion was not biased by my only having actual experience with just one of the systems.

Rand

Gear

dwdallam
126 posts
Joined Oct 2011

May 19, 2013 22:29 |  #15

agv8or wrote in post #15948428 (external link)
It was just my opinion and the OP can do with it what he likes. I currently have and use both Odins and 600EX-RT's as my needs warrant so my opinion was not biased by my only having actual experience with just one of the systems.

You do have the 600s and are using them with the Odins? Have you had a chance to test them at 30m for consistency? I tested my Odins with the 580EXIIs today at 25-30 meters at my brothers house, in the mountains, where there is no wireless 2.4 interference--their phones were off and they have no other wireless device for at least 1/2 mile.

We did the test in manual mode. It seems the most misfires took place at 30-35m while the flash was behind a tree, but the other two at approximately 25 meters, one line of sight and one behind a shrub, but visible. All flashes misfired at one time or another.

The worst was when the TCU would start blinking and then as it was blinking a shot was fired. That produced the most misfires on the first shot. Sometimes the ttl flash would fire but the 2nd curtain flash would not, sometimes vice-versa. I think the unobstructed flash at 25m misfired only one time maybe two out of around 50-100 shots.

Suffice it to say that at 25+ meters, I did not get 100% fires and in no way did I get consistent results.

The best series of shots came after waking up the units and flash units, firing off one to two shots, and then firing one shot every 2 seconds before the TCU could start blinking--that is, keeping it a solid green light. I shot 20 times in that series with no misfires from any flash. Repeat series did have some misfires.

I'm wondering if the 600s act any better when they are behind an obstruction at approximately 30m? Perhaps it is still the 580EXIIs that have a problem.

sponsored links

2,833 views & 0 likes for this thread
odin advice
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.