Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 19 May 2013 (Sunday) 21:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Advice on a used Canon EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM

wnm0
35 posts
Joined May 2007

May 19, 2013 21:07 |  #1

Hi, I could do with some advice please on a used Canon EF-S 17-85mm f:4-5.6 IS USM lens which I purchased last week, the seller stated a little bit of dust was inside but now its here I would prefer to get it cleaned.

What would the approximate cost be to take it into an authorized UK Canon dealership, or would I be better to just remove the little inner ring and take out the 3 screws that hold the top glass in place and just blow it out and clean it with a micro fiber cloth? bearing in mind I have never done this before, I have seen a video and a piece of medical tape was used so the glass can be put back in the correct position.

Any help offered and definitely appreciated please.

Many thanks, Wayne.

Gear list

sponsored links
TheRisingArms
351 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 19, 2013 21:12 |  #2

A little bit of dust won't do much if anything to your images. Unless it's a LOT of dust then you're better off not doing anything and leaving it as is - more dust might even get in when you open it up.

Bodies: Canon 500D | Canon EOS M
Lenses: Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 | EF-M 22mm f/2
Flashes: YN-568EX | 90EX

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,211 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Jul 2009

May 19, 2013 21:20 as a reply to  @ TheRisingArms's post |  #3

this article from lensrentals.com is worth a gander...

basically there are only a few circumstances in which dust will affect image quality and that is on the mount end.

http://www.lensrentals​.com …/a-few-easy-lens-dustings (external link)

that being said, dust bugs the %#@& out of me and there is a good chance I would be looking for a cleaning quote too.

and - that being said ;) - you start getting dust in there again after its cleaned...

Will immaculens.com (external link)

7Dmk II gripped | 5Dc | 150-600 (Σ) OS C | 55-250 IS STM | 100L f/2.8 IS Macro | 15-85 IS | 50 f/1.8 STM | 30 Σ f/1.4 'A'
Learn to love to do well, and you shall. ~ C. Poseidon

J ­ R ­ Mohan
321 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Joined May 2008

May 19, 2013 21:30 as a reply to  @ Immaculens's post |  #4

Hi

Don't buy this lens . It is prone to malfunctions . Repairs also do not last for long.

Jai.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,170 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

May 19, 2013 22:07 |  #5

i can't see paying to have it cleaned being worth it...either ignore it, or try and find a youtube video where someone cleans it...i know there are quite a few videos for a cable fix on there that it seems to be prone to...

also you may want to do a little comparison with your 18-55IS kit lens, to see which one performs better...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

wnm0
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined May 2007

May 20, 2013 06:22 as a reply to  @ DreDaze's post |  #6

Many thanks for the replies, I will do as advised and do some comparison with the kit lens and then decide what to do next.

Again many thanks, Wayne.

Gear list

Paulstw
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

May 20, 2013 10:03 as a reply to  @ wnm0's post |  #7

I've actually just bought this lens too with an Err01. I know what it is and i'll be getting it fixed, however, I did ask about lens servicing and they said it would be £96 +VAT for a service.

That's basically opening it and cleaning it out.

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005

May 20, 2013 14:03 |  #8

You bought a used lens and immediately were not happy with it? Why did you not return it for a full refund?

GEAR LIST

Paulstw
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

May 20, 2013 14:19 |  #9

gasrocks wrote in post #15950213 (external link)
You bought a used lens and immediately were not happy with it? Why did you not return it for a full refund?

I bought it knowing it had a fault. It was only £50. I can get it fixed for £100. I'll sell it on Ebay for £200 or what ever it goes for. It's more money towards a 17-55 2.8

wnm0
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined May 2007

May 20, 2013 16:29 as a reply to  @ Paulstw's post |  #10

I just could not honestly rest with that much dust inside although there was nothing big it just annoyed the hell out of me also I bought it knowing it also had a very small gap difference above the focusing ring so I watched a damn good video on You Tube and set to it.

I opened it by unscrewing the 4 tiny screws and the 2 mini ones near the contact points, I followed the video and after removing the electronics board I noticed that the bracket was lifted near to a screw, this was sorted and is now perfect then I took out the glass and cleaned out the dust so I am happy and the lens is now as I want it.

Many thanks for all the advice on this topic.

Regards, Wayne.

Gear list

sponsored links

1,051 views & 0 likes for this thread
Advice on a used Canon EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.