Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 16 Aug 2012 (Thursday) 18:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Luma Cinch fanboys...show me what you got!

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,258 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jul 2012

May 12, 2013 12:14 |  #1171

Looks like the Cinch2 is now available for general ordering...

http://store.luma-labs.com/ (external link)

Congrats Greg for getting everything set up for general release (you may want to get the storefront link more prominently placed on the front page though, instead of being buried in the bottom left hand corner.. ;) )

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

sponsored links
DTBaan
"male gigolo"
13,744 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2011

May 12, 2013 12:34 |  #1172

Scrumhalf wrote in post #15924490 (external link)
Looks like the Cinch2 is now available for general ordering...

http://store.luma-labs.com/ (external link)

Congrats Greg for getting everything set up for general release (you may want to get the storefront link more prominently placed on the front page though, instead of being buried in the bottom left hand corner.. ;) )

cool. thanks for the post. I like how they let you choose which mount you want/need. very smart of them.

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,258 posts
Joined Jul 2012

May 12, 2013 12:36 |  #1173

Yeah, it is totally configurable! Very nice, and the prices for a US made product are fantastic!

Sam
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Longy
34 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 12, 2013 13:37 |  #1174

DTBaan wrote in post #15919462 (external link)
i too find that the plate is unnecessary for me so the question came to mind about the pod mount being available for the cinch 2. the answer is yes, they will be available around the time of public release of the cinch2.

i should be able to share this regarding the pod mount.

My ideal would be a plate which can be released as easily as the pod mount. That way both attachment points could still be on the bottom, but it can be released quickly. I am guessing attaching both to the pod mount isn't going to be as good.

6D, 50D, Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, Canon 40mm f/2.8 Pancake, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, Canon 85mm f/1.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 VC USD

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 12, 2013 16:59 |  #1175

My ideal would be a plate which can be released as easily as the pod mount. That way both attachment points could still be on the bottom, but it can be released quickly. I am guessing attaching both to the pod mount isn't going to be as good.

This is something we considered.

The problem is, you would wind up with a part that is far more expensive than the plate, and it wouldn't exactly be "quick" release.

Basically, you end up with something that looks similar to a current Manfrotto RC2 plate - a 2.5" wide metal bracket with a strap mount at each end and a screw for the tripod socket in the middle. To make it fast enough to release, you would need a screw with a folding d-ring lobe around it (like the Manfrotto). Put it all together and you're looking at 2 CNC milled parts (the bracket and the d-ring plate part) and a CNC turned special screw. It would be super nice looking, but it would also have a retail price of $30+.

There are ways of doing it that aren't as super cool as CNC cut metal. The bracket could be stamped, the screw could be an off-the-shelf screw with a hole in it and the D-ring could be wire. Or the bracket could be made from the new composite material we are using. Trouble is, all those "cheaper" ways of making it require *massive* up-front investments in tooling. A quality stamped sheet metal part requires you make a $3000 stamping tool. The tool to make the bracket out of our composite would be about $10,000. That would bring the retail price way down (like has happened to the Cinch), but we would need enough volume to pay for all that tooling.

The question is - would anyone look at that bracket on our website, next to a $15 full-up Arca plate, and go for the $30 bracket? Would they go for the $15 non-Arca bracket compared to the $15 Arca bracket?

This is why Luma will likely get our own CNC mill soon. It would be neat if we could answer super-niche requests like this without having to bump into the 500-1000 part minimums that a machine shop needs.

http://lu.ma (external link), greg@luma-labs.com (external link)

Longy
34 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 12, 2013 19:57 |  #1176

gakoenig wrote in post #15925117 (external link)
This is something we considered.

The problem is, you would wind up with a part that is far more expensive than the plate, and it wouldn't exactly be "quick" release.

Basically, you end up with something that looks similar to a current Manfrotto RC2 plate - a 2.5" wide metal bracket with a strap mount at each end and a screw for the tripod socket in the middle. To make it fast enough to release, you would need a screw with a folding d-ring lobe around it (like the Manfrotto). Put it all together and you're looking at 2 CNC milled parts (the bracket and the d-ring plate part) and a CNC turned special screw. It would be super nice looking, but it would also have a retail price of $30+.

There are ways of doing it that aren't as super cool as CNC cut metal. The bracket could be stamped, the screw could be an off-the-shelf screw with a hole in it and the D-ring could be wire. Or the bracket could be made from the new composite material we are using. Trouble is, all those "cheaper" ways of making it require *massive* up-front investments in tooling. A quality stamped sheet metal part requires you make a $3000 stamping tool. The tool to make the bracket out of our composite would be about $10,000. That would bring the retail price way down (like has happened to the Cinch), but we would need enough volume to pay for all that tooling.

The question is - would anyone look at that bracket on our website, next to a $15 full-up Arca plate, and go for the $30 bracket? Would they go for the $15 non-Arca bracket compared to the $15 Arca bracket?

This is why Luma will likely get our own CNC mill soon. It would be neat if we could answer super-niche requests like this without having to bump into the 500-1000 part minimums that a machine shop needs.

Thinking about it, all I need is a screw that would replace the current screw that can be turned by hand, I don't think I would need a different plate. Perhaps they exist already - it probably wouldn't look much different to the pod mount. Wouldn't that work?

Sorry if I am trying to make it sound simpler then it is, I won't pretend to even understand how hard the process is.

And I will reiterate that I love the strap for when I am out and about!

6D, 50D, Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, Canon 40mm f/2.8 Pancake, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, Canon 85mm f/1.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 VC USD

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 12, 2013 20:11 |  #1177

Thinking about it, all I need is a screw that would replace the current screw that can be turned by hand, I don't think I would need a different plate. Perhaps they exist already - it probably wouldn't look much different to the pod mount. Wouldn't that work?

A PodMount with two split keys on it may work, one for each side of the strap.

The trouble you run into is that, if the two strap mount points get too close, the Camera Dangle Factor goes super high. How about I throw a PM on one of our cameras and give it a test to tell you how it might work?

Sorry if I am trying to make it sound simpler then it is, I won't pretend to even understand how hard the process is.

Honestly, none of this stuff is hard after you've made a few different parts and have the backing of good suppliers like we do. It is really a question of resource allocation - is it worth the commitment to going through all the design, test and production rigamarole for how many people will actually use the widget?

In the long term, the real answer is to lower the bar required to make a Luma quality part. That's why we made everything modular - we can make super specialty widgets and connectors without having to figure out how it fits into a single product strategy. That is also why we are getting a CNC mill to do our own prototypes and low volume production; I would *love* to be able to take a suggestion such as yours, mill out a prototype or two in a couple of days and put 20 of them in stock on the website. If The People like them, we can move into higher volume methods. If they are a specialty niche, it doesn't cost a tremendous amount of resources to serve folks with that need. Everybody wins!

0.0f
179 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 13, 2013 02:09 |  #1178

Just wanted to say that yesterday I had my cinch on for 6.5hrs, whilst I was out and about and I hardly felt the weight of the camera. So easy to use and live with brilliant product.

EOS 5D MK3 - 24-70 MK2

Longy
34 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 13, 2013 11:46 |  #1179

gakoenig wrote in post #15925585 (external link)
A PodMount with two split keys on it may work, one for each side of the strap.

The trouble you run into is that, if the two strap mount points get too close, the Camera Dangle Factor goes super high. How about I throw a PM on one of our cameras and give it a test to tell you how it might work?

I think you misunderstand, I mean that I still would use the plate, I would just need a screw to replace the existing one which can be twisted on/off by hand quite quickly.

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 13, 2013 14:19 |  #1180

I think you misunderstand, I mean that I still would use the plate, I would just need a screw to replace the existing one which can be twisted on/off by hand quite quickly.

Ohh yea... I was way off! =)

The PodMount won't work with the Arca Plate, the threads are nowhere near long enough.

I'll try to think up something...

bewater_myfriend
Hatchling
1 post
Joined May 2013

May 13, 2013 15:29 |  #1181

Any recommendations for a good ball head to use with the Cinch 2 plate? Looking for something less than $120 that will do well on a monopod to support 5dm2 with 70-200.

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,258 posts
Joined Jul 2012

May 13, 2013 15:34 |  #1182

My Benro B-1 that is on my Benro Travel Angel works fine. Nothing fancy, does the job. I think can find the head for under 100 bucks.

Sam
Gear List

flickr (external link)

Longy
34 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 19, 2013 13:50 |  #1183

gakoenig wrote in post #15928071 (external link)
Ohh yea... I was way off! =)

The PodMount won't work with the Arca Plate, the threads are nowhere near long enough.

I'll try to think up something...

OK, thanks, I'll keep an eye out in case you ever come up with something. In the meantime I find putting the strap on the left side of the camera in combination with the plate works pretty well so might pick up a PodMount. I still prefer the bottom for the strap, but this is the best I can do for now.

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 20, 2013 14:32 |  #1184

I just received the new honeycomb grip strap that Greg has been working on since I started b****ing about the original strap. The original strap does what it's suppose to do very well...grip. But the problem for me is that most of the year you can find me in a lightweight t-shirt or shirt and the original strap was just a tad too grippy for me. When I brought the camera up and down it would drag my shirt with it and I found myself removing the wrinkles from my shirt and readjusting the strap every time.

Greg contacted me with an idea of how to make the strap more "slidey" by reversing the strap (grip side facing up/out). I'd actually already tried this and it works like a charm! But my grip was that the grip side looks like it was engineered more for function, which is fine, than it was designed for aesthetics. I'm sure Luma expected most users would have the grip side down, so function > form. So Greg and I tossed around some ideas and we landed on a great compromise.

IMAGE: http://imageshack.us/a/img20/1624/dscf4783s.jpg

IMAGE: http://imageshack.us/a/img15/8509/dscf4781d.jpg

IMAGE: http://imageshack.us/a/img10/6267/dscf4782x.jpg

The new honeycomb grip is the same material, but applied in a way that is more pleasing to the eye. I'd say the level of grippiness is "moderate-heavy" (more towards the moderate side) versus the original (what I'd call "heavy"). I've tried the new strap with the grip side down on my t-shirt, sweatshirt, and jacket and it does well. I still prefer the non-grip side when wearing a t-shirt, but now it looks much better with the honeycomb grip facing up.

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

finalwish
68 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 20, 2013 14:39 |  #1185

v35skyline wrote in post #15950309 (external link)
I just received the new honeycomb grip strap that Greg has been working on since I started b****ing about the original strap. The original strap does what it's suppose to do very well...grip. But the problem for me is that most of the year you can find me in a lightweight t-shirt or shirt and the original strap was just a tad too grippy for me. When I brought the camera up and down it would drag my shirt with it and I found myself removing the wrinkles from my shirt and readjusting the strap every time.

Greg contacted me with an idea of how to make the strap more "slidey" by reversing the strap (grip side facing up/out). I'd actually already tried this and it works like a charm! But my grip was that the grip side looks like it was engineered more for function, which is fine, than it was designed for aesthetics. I'm sure Luma expected most users would have the grip side down, so function > form. So Greg and I tossed around some ideas and we landed on a great compromise.

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

The new honeycomb grip is the same material, but applied in a way that is more pleasing to the eye. I'd say the level of grippiness is "moderate-heavy" (more towards the moderate side) versus the original (what I'd call "heavy"). I've tried the new strap with the grip side down on my t-shirt, sweatshirt, and jacket and it does well. I still prefer the non-grip side when wearing a t-shirt, but now it looks much better with the honeycomb grip facing up.

way cool.. i do like the honeycomb grip look much better than the original.
how much will it cost to swap?

5Dmkiii | 24-105mm f4 L | 135mm f2 L | 70-200mm mkII L | 680EX-RT

sponsored links

262,350 views & 0 likes for this thread
Luma Cinch fanboys...show me what you got!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.