Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 20 May 2013 (Monday) 10:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon LP-E6 batteries, boxed vs card packaging

sffire
149 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 20, 2013 10:35 |  #1

I am looking at buying one or two Canon LP-E6 batteries for my Canon 7D. I am looking at eBay and I see two different types of packaging. Some are boxed and some are on cardboard with clear plastic. Can someone tell the the difference? Is on a knockoff? or overseas packaging?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
aliengin
Goldmember
1,156 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 20, 2013 13:00 |  #2

Ebay? Both could be a knock off.

Ali Engin Photography (external link)

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 20, 2013 13:04 |  #3

sffire wrote in post #15949549 (external link)
I am looking at buying one or two Canon LP-E6 batteries for my Canon 7D. I am looking at eBay and I see two different types of packaging. Some are boxed and some are on cardboard with clear plastic. Can someone tell the the difference? Is on a knockoff? or overseas packaging?

eBay...that says it all when it comes to "genuine" accessories. If you want OEM batteries, get from authorized dealer. If you're trying to save money, get SterlingTek or Wasabi batteries.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Varavon Monopod and Camtrol Prime Stabilizer | Tolifo LED Light, Luxi for All Light Meter, Ruggard Journey 34 Shoulder Bag

sffire
THREAD ­ STARTER
149 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 20, 2013 13:37 |  #4

1Kind, Thank you for your reply. Between SterlingTek and Wasabi, which on is better? Can they be charged in the OEM Canon charger? I had two SterlingTeks BP-511 for my Canon 30D. After 5 years of light use, ( five or six times a year), the SterlingTek battery's capacity was reduced while Canon BP511 works well.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,273 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 20, 2013 14:01 |  #5

I've got two Wasabi's that work fine in my 5D3

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sffire
THREAD ­ STARTER
149 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 20, 2013 14:45 |  #6

Do you get the Wasabi from Amazon? Do you use the Wasabi charger?

baj2k
724 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 20, 2013 23:36 |  #7

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #15950200 (external link)
I've got two Wasabi's that work fine in my 5D3

Any issue with the 5D MkIII saying it doesn't recognize the batteries after the 1.2.1 Firmware update? I have both SterlingTek and Wasabi and my 5d MkIII whines about not being able to "communicate" with them but they work (maybe it's the Chinese batteries and the 5D MkIII only speaks Japanese ;) ). Anyway, it's a pita because they just don't register properly and are highly inaccurate on the available power remaining. They show "low battery" but when I put them on the charger they're at 55% - 65%.

swldstn
977 posts
Joined May 2007

May 21, 2013 04:41 |  #8

sffire wrote in post #15949549 (external link)

I've bought both. The box ones came from BestBuy and the clear from B&H and Amazo I think. (Have owned a total of 10 with my 5D2, 7D, and now my 5D3). I think they are both legit but I'm sure there are counterfeit ones of both out there as well. Use a reperatble seller.

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Love to Shoot - a Digital SLR (and now a Mirroless ILC) are my weapons of choice
Gear List

virsago_mk2
598 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 21, 2013 05:16 |  #9

Get DSTE LP-E6 instead if you're planning to buy from ebay.

Sure they're 3rd party, but they're rated at 2600mAh, 800mAh more than the genuine LP-E6.

Gear: Here | Portfolio: Flickr (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,273 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 21, 2013 08:35 |  #10

baj2k wrote in post #15951887 (external link)
Any issue with the 5D MkIII saying it doesn't recognize the batteries after the 1.2.1 Firmware update? ..

No, no issues. These are relatively new Wasabis, maybe this explains it? I got them about a month before the 1.2.1 firmware update, and they are fine after the update.

I promise, I would not have said they "work fine in my 5D3" if they did not work fine in my 5D3 :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,273 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 21, 2013 08:36 |  #11

sffire wrote in post #15950346 (external link)

I did get the twin pack with the charger.
I've used them mostly in the Canon charger, but I've use the included charger as well.
I'm keeping the Wasabi charger in my truck now, with it;s included 12volt adapter.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

NASS ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,753 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 21, 2013 13:08 |  #12

1KIND wrote in post #15950017 (external link)
eBay...that says it all when it comes to "genuine" accessories. If you want OEM batteries, get from authorized dealer. If you're trying to save money, get SterlingTek or Wasabi batteries.

+1. You cannot go wrong with the Wasabi.

NickS

Canon 5DMIII; Canon EF35mm, f/1.4L; EF85mm, f/1.8; EF135mm, f/2.0L; EF200mm, f/2.8L.

baj2k
724 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 21, 2013 18:08 |  #13

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #15952763 (external link)
No, no issues. These are relatively new Wasabis, maybe this explains it? I got them about a month before the 1.2.1 firmware update, and they are fine after the update.

I promise, I would not have said they "work fine in my 5D3" if they did not work fine in my 5D3 :)

Didn't mean to imply anything... :cool: what I was wondering is if all/some/many of the aftermarket battery manufacturers actually make their Li-Ion cells or if they buy from a "cell" vendor and repackage in their housings. That may be why your newer Wasabi's work and my old STK & Wasabi's don't.

Anyway, in this area I've decided to go all OEM. I'm going to buy the Canon "grip" and Canon OEM LP-E6 batteries. I spent almost $3k on the Camera so why risk damaging it on a reverse engineered grip and batteries of unknown origin & quality just to save a couple hundred bucks (yes, I now many people have used these aftermarket products with great success, which is great, but no-one can convince me that the OEM version isn't better, safer, and has the added benefit of being fully supported by Canon.)

But that just me over-reacting per usual... :rolleyes: ;)

sffire
THREAD ­ STARTER
149 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 23, 2013 09:32 |  #14

On the Wasabi batteries and chargers, are the canon and wasabi batteries and chargers interchangeable for charging? Will my Canon 7D register the wasabi batteries so that I will know how many shots I have left?

Thanks for all your replies.

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 23, 2013 13:38 |  #15

sffire wrote in post #15950111 (external link)
1Kind, Thank you for your reply. Between SterlingTek and Wasabi, which on is better? Can they be charged in the OEM Canon charger? I had two SterlingTeks BP-511 for my Canon 30D. After 5 years of light use, ( five or six times a year), the SterlingTek battery's capacity was reduced while Canon BP511 works well.

They can be charged on OEM charger. I have the SterlingTek and use my OEM charger.

sffire wrote in post #15950346 (external link)

Amazon has 2 batteries and charger - http://www.amazon.com …&linkCode=as2&t​ag=dcre-20 (external link)

baj2k wrote in post #15951887 (external link)
Any issue with the 5D MkIII saying it doesn't recognize the batteries after the 1.2.1 Firmware update? I have both SterlingTek and Wasabi and my 5d MkIII whines about not being able to "communicate" with them but they work (maybe it's the Chinese batteries and the 5D MkIII only speaks Japanese ;) ). Anyway, it's a pita because they just don't register properly and are highly inaccurate on the available power remaining. They show "low battery" but when I put them on the charger they're at 55% - 65%.

I have SterlingTeks and my 5D3 recognizes them and is able to communicate with it. I would contact SterlingTek for a replacement. I reviewed the battery for my site. Here was a picture I took

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1126.photobuck​et.com …iews/images/stk​_lpe12.jpg (external link)

sffire wrote in post #15959636 (external link)
On the Wasabi batteries and chargers, are the canon and wasabi batteries and chargers interchangeable for charging? Will my Canon 7D register the wasabi batteries so that I will know how many shots I have left?

Thanks for all your replies.

They are interchangeable. The picture above is of SterlingTek and OEM LP-E6 in my BG-E11 grip.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Varavon Monopod and Camtrol Prime Stabilizer | Tolifo LED Light, Luxi for All Light Meter, Ruggard Journey 34 Shoulder Bag

sponsored links

3,675 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon LP-E6 batteries, boxed vs card packaging
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.