Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 26 Apr 2009 (Sunday) 14:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Show Us Your RAW Conversions, BEFORE And AFTER

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 15, 2013 16:23 |  #5551

Yasick wrote in post #15933501 (external link)
Honnest mistake, took 30 + shots in the same position. :rolleyes:

I hope this is the right one.

Yasick, you've posted some very nice work here, thanks for the contribution!

To reflect what others have said, for this thread, bear these two "guidelines" in mind:

1) Please post your Raw conversion Before/After photos only! This thread is all about optimizing our Raw processing before doing any Photoshop graphical editing!

2) Please post either a screen shot or a detailed list of your Raw edits! This thread is about learning the "digital darkroom" and inspiring us to excel in this work! I saw your posts in the main R, PP and P subforum and they included your Raw settings, that's what this thread is all about!

Again, thanks for the contribution!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links
oxygen45
150 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 16, 2013 08:05 |  #5552

This thread was a big part in my getting LR and now that i have it.... Wow. Love this program. Had trialled CS6 and while it may be more powerful in PS the workflow in LR is so much easier. Have people that prefer Bridge/ACR ever actually tried LR?

Highly recommend anyone toying with the idea of purchasing LR to just make the jump. It is definitely worth the price of admission.

Canon 60D ~ Sigma 10-20 | Sigma 17-50 F2.8 OS | Canon 55-250 IS II | Sigma 150-600 C

kenstogie
251 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 16, 2013 10:09 |  #5553

oxygen45 wrote in post #15937347 (external link)
This thread was a big part in my getting LR and now that i have it.... Wow. Love this program. Had trialled CS6 and while it may be more powerful in PS the workflow in LR is so much easier. Have people that prefer Bridge/ACR ever actually tried LR?

Highly recommend anyone toying with the idea of purchasing LR to just make the jump. It is definitely worth the price of admission.

me too, So, so, so true. I really only adjust colors/light now with my raws. A little cropping too but not to much editing. I am in an out of LR in usually 3-5 mins per photo and usually about 1 min.

Yup I like cigars. 7d, T1i and a bunch of other junk.

Inspeqtor
Chet,You are a genius
8,659 posts
Gallery: 87 photos
Joined Mar 2008

May 16, 2013 11:30 |  #5554

oxygen45 wrote in post #15937347 (external link)

I am trying to learn Lightroom 4 right now, but I have a long way to go yet...

Charles
Canon EOS 90D * Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 16, 2013 17:22 |  #5555

Inspeqtor wrote in post #15937932 (external link)

I'd strongly suggest getting one or more books that can help you to walk through the workflow.

For an overall Lightroom "primer", the Scott Kelby book is excellent, very hands-on for the beginner:

http://www.google.com …g2=7048FFoQ3jWB​CTFiJSbaUw (external link)

For insight on Raw processing specific to Lightroom and Photoshop Adobe Camera Raw, check out "The Digital Negative" by Jeff Schewe:

http://www.google.com …g2=NCp0ERPvTurE​sTl7ZHNMfA (external link)

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

oxygen45
150 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 16, 2013 17:22 |  #5556

Inspeqtor wrote in post #15937932 (external link)

I bought Scott Kelby's LR4 book, so far it has been very useful and is about $20 for the ebook version. Only read 2 chapters so far but have learnt many things that i probably would have taken months to figure out.

Edit: Tony beat me to it, that is the book i bought.

Canon 60D ~ Sigma 10-20 | Sigma 17-50 F2.8 OS | Canon 55-250 IS II | Sigma 150-600 C

dodgyexposure
Goldmember
2,874 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2012

May 16, 2013 18:39 |  #5557

I watched a few training videos on the Adobe site (some by Kelby people), and bought the LR4 book by Martin Evening. They make a very good combo - the videos quickly show you how to get started, and the Evening book has a lot of technical detail, explanations and shortcuts.

Cheers, Damien

Inspeqtor
Chet,You are a genius
8,659 posts
Gallery: 87 photos
Joined Mar 2008

May 16, 2013 23:38 |  #5558

tonylong wrote in post #15938923 (external link)
I'd strongly suggest getting one or more books that can help you to walk through the workflow.

For an overall Lightroom "primer", the Scott Kelby book is excellent, very hands-on for the beginner:

http://www.google.com …g2=7048FFoQ3jWB​CTFiJSbaUw (external link)

For insight on Raw processing specific to Lightroom and Photoshop Adobe Camera Raw, check out "The Digital Negative" by Jeff Schewe:

http://www.google.com …g2=NCp0ERPvTurE​sTl7ZHNMfA (external link)

oxygen45 wrote in post #15938924 (external link)
I bought Scott Kelby's LR4 book, so far it has been very useful and is about $20 for the ebook version. Only read 2 chapters so far but have learnt many things that i probably would have taken months to figure out.

Edit: Tony beat me to it, that is the book i bought.

Thank you both for the tips. I will look into them, but I learn better by watching rather than reading. I found an online video training tutorial at Udemy.com that I am taking. It seems to be pretty good so far.

Charles
Canon EOS 90D * Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

kenstogie
251 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 17, 2013 08:05 |  #5559

I have watched many of the youtube videos but the Adobe ones are probably the best.

Yup I like cigars. 7d, T1i and a bunch of other junk.

keyfox11
90 posts
Joined May 2013

May 21, 2013 09:23 |  #5560

Great thread idea!! I think I'll be spending a lot of time here :) Believe it or not, I just opened ACR for the first time after finding this thread. This is my first attempt. Comments and/or criticism is welcome! :D

Before:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

After:
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Basic Settings:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

-Malcolm-
Murphy's law states: 'If you drop your camera, the L will ALWAYS hit first!
I thrive on comments...
Gear List

Rion
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined May 2013

May 21, 2013 14:01 |  #5561

I thought this may be interesting for someone. The weather was beautiful, really nice sunset. But when I opened it on desktop it was a little bit overexposed and you could see haze, fog or whatever that is. It took significant effort to make it into the "after" state. It took about 2 hours.

https://dl.dropboxuser​content.com …/photo-on-the-net/raw.jpg (external link)

Here are settings, but more work did brushes and gradients.

IMAGE: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/103990291/photo-on-the-net/set.jpg

Canon 600D; EF 70-200 f/4L; EF-S 18-55; EF 50mm f/1.8
planned: EF 17-40 f/4L
flickr (external link)

misty66
Goldmember
4,107 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jul 2007

May 21, 2013 14:49 |  #5562

Must say a really nice outcome...well done

Please call me Sandra
My girls (external link)
hutfotografie (external link)

keyfox11
90 posts
Joined May 2013

May 21, 2013 14:50 |  #5563

Beautiful final picture Rion! Did you happen to use a UV or Polarizing filter?? I leave UV filter on my lens for almost all my shots. They can both cut atmospheric haze. Just a suggestion.

-Malcolm-
Murphy's law states: 'If you drop your camera, the L will ALWAYS hit first!
I thrive on comments...
Gear List

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 21, 2013 15:02 |  #5564

Keyfox11, welcome to the thread and thanks for the contribution!!

Rion, I'd say you did a good job with that scene -- thanks!

Tony

Rion
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined May 2013

May 21, 2013 15:09 |  #5565

Thank you everyone.

@keyfox11 Well, at that time I didn't have any filters. And now I only have ND filter, but thank you for advice. I'll probably get one UV filter for protection, and if it can do at least something with atmospheric haze I'd be very pleased.

Canon 600D; EF 70-200 f/4L; EF-S 18-55; EF 50mm f/1.8
planned: EF 17-40 f/4L
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,204,022 views & 221 likes for this thread
Show Us Your RAW Conversions, BEFORE And AFTER
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.