Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Oct 2009 (Friday) 08:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5d classic vs 7D IQ?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,159 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 05, 2011 13:50 |  #91

sweetal wrote in post #12882864 (external link)
Hey TeamSpeed,

To be honest, I've purposely left out crop lenses as it didn't make sense to me at the time to have lenses that I could only use on one of my camera bodies. But to answer your question, I am using the same FF lenses I do on the other bodies, which would normally consist of the following:

16-35 2.8
24-70 2.8
70-200 2.8 II
35 1.4
135 2.0

Given that, would you still think it makes sense to trade down from the 7D to the 5D? Not sure I want to change my lens lineup or add crop lenses to mix just for the sake of the 7D.

Alan

Your lens collection alone probably will make that decision for you. Also, if your primary work is wedding, and you have the 1D3 (APSH crop) to saddle up with the 5D2, then it makes sense to move to the 5D as a backup to the backup, as you already have 2 great tools at this point.

You do lose high ISO and you lose the ability to share batteries with your 5D2 though, and you don't get micro adjustment (which may not even be needed on the older camera). One last thing to consider is you are down to just one camera that shoots HD video.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links
aladyforty
Goldmember
4,291 posts
Gallery: 355 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 05, 2011 19:43 |  #92

can anyone give me some info on the 24-70L and how it performs on the 5D and 7D. I've heard stories it is soft on 5D and similar on 7D. I want to buy this lens for using on both but especially interested in how it performs with the 7D

FUJI XT3 CANON 5D3 & a bunch of lenses for both
https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link) https://www.flickr.com​/photos/25426422@N00/ (external link)

patrick ­ clarke
251 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 07, 2011 13:34 |  #93

nicksan wrote in post #8746777 (external link)
It really depends on what exactly we are talking about here. You are comparing a FF to a 1.6x so it's difficult to make that comparison.

I agree that with the 7D, we are at a point where perhaps we can put the 5DC to rest, especially with high ISO performance. The 5DMKII still has an edge over the 7D in the IQ department that's for sure. But again apples to oranges here...My lenses act VERY differently on a FF vs. any crop. (1.3x or 1.6x)

Not to mention the vastly different AF system in the 7D. Let's not kid ourselves. It's a level way above that of the 5D/5DMKII.

nicksan ,i know its an old thread but if the 7d is so great why do you shoot with the 5d mark 2 ? is it that full frame is the way to go for people photography

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,458 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 20, 2011 07:08 |  #94

MichaelBernard wrote in post #8746705 (external link)
I mean..I have a hard time believing that you prefer the 7d over the 5d and the 5dII in terms of IQ.... It really just sounds like you like saying that you use the new kid on the block.

On Topic, you just can't beat full frame...unless you're birding or need high FPS for sports/auto :lol:

I'm really struggling over that one. Because I would like to buy another camera this autumn, and and have put the most attention on the 7D and 5D mii.

But I heard from an ex-logger turned photographer, who used to shoot 35mm, then digitals, that he is very pleased with his new 60D.

So part of what I'm doing, is going on like Flickr and other places to see the best forest shots from photographers, and a lot of 5D mkii images I see, are not all that much better than the best tripod shots from my Canon SX10 IS (point & shoot). At least not in the Coast Redwoods.

In the Giant Sequoias, from there I begin to see some much nicer examples from FF.

:cool:

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 20, 2011 07:16 |  #95

I suggest you borrow/rent a 7D/5DII and see for yourself.

Tiny downsized images on the web will hardly show the real differences between cameras and IQ. You should keep in mind that, since post processing is a critical component of the final image, not everyone is equally talented.

If equipment was everything, then there would not be the quantity of mediocre images posted on the web with top rate equipment and no excellent stuff with lesser equipment. The tougher the shooting conditions is where better equipment shows the most benefit.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,458 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 20, 2011 07:32 |  #96

bohdank wrote in post #13132345 (external link)
I suggest you borrow/rent a 7D/5DII and see for yourself.

Tiny downsized images on the web will hardly show the real differences between cameras and IQ.

It's actually the ones that had "original" that I was really looking for, and at, the most. But there must be scores of good photographers who don't give a hoot about ever posting at online image hosting.

The rental is a great idea. Hadn't even crossed my mind.

I've got at least one decent lens of my own that would work on the 5D mkii.

Thanks for the suggestion.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 20, 2011 07:41 |  #97

Original doesn't mean "not processed". Most people shoot RAW so there is no such thing as "not processed original".

Again, the more difficult the shooting conditions, the more talent the photographer has, have a greater bearing on results than equipment, imo, barring using a pinhole camera ;-)a

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Ebwly
570 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 20, 2011 07:53 |  #98

then there was not even one, the 7D cannot, but the 5D can, only because there was the inadequate time to press, and noone even knew what it was that he tried to take, it ended up being the better one of the two.

7D, 17-55 f2.8 IS, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 50 f1.4

brownmichael
164 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 20, 2011 11:26 as a reply to  @ Ebwly's post |  #99

I had a 5D classic for about two years before I added a 7D. I've had the 7D for about six months now and I am just now learning to get the kind of image quality that I expect from my 5D. A lot of this learning process is in the post processing as well as your in-camera settings.

Now I feel I can do good work with either one. I usually select the 5D when I want to have shallow depth of field or if I'm doing portrait work for non-models who don't have perfect skin.

The 7D seems to show up more skin blemishes and veins beneath the skin, for some reason. The 5D seems to give a smoothing effect. Generally you can compensate for this in post processing, so it's not a major issue. And for many kinds of photography, the higher resolution of the 7D is a good thing.

The RAW files are larger with the 7D, about 21 megabytes as opposed to about 12 with the 5D. I did not like the slower uploading from the CF card and the slower processing time, especially when doing batch processing of multiple images. That caused me to upgrade my computer recently.

They are both great cameras, but I found the 7D took longer to get dialed in for my particular style of photography.

Mike Brown
Vancouver, WA

My current Canons: 5D, S90, 7D, 550D.
Current lenses: Canon 28 1.8, 50 1.8, 85 1.8, 100 2.0, Sigma 50 1.4, Tamron 28-80 2.8, Tamron 75-200

opel24v
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined May 2013

May 21, 2013 10:06 as a reply to  @ brownmichael's post |  #100

I have both. For IQ the 5D. As a portrait, studio, landscape camera, I'd use the 5D. For anything that moves, I'd use the 7D. The 7D's auto focus system is amazing, and it's fast. If I had to choose one, it'd be the 5D.

5Dc,7D,Sigma 35 1.4,Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-22,580EXII

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,270 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 21, 2013 10:09 |  #101

THis zombie just keeps walking. :)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

ppahv
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined May 2018

May 20, 2018 06:31 |  #102

Hi,

Sorry for digging up this "zombie post", but I've got a question regarding the 5D Classic and 7D Classic.

I currently own two mirrorless cameras from Samsung (NX500 and NX30), and I'd love to get a second-hand DSLR, as I've never had the opportunity to shoot with one.

I could find a 5D and 7D at a second-hand camera shop for about 250 $, but I don't know which one to choose.
I was interested in buying an 80D for about 1000 $. However, I really don't think it's necessary after having looked at the stills on Flickr taken with the 5D and 7D.

I'd mostly use it for portraiture and street photography. Given all the reviews I read, the 5D seems to be better suitable for this job, although the 7D has better features, notably its AF.

What would you recommend me to buy? :-)

Thank you very much in advance,

Choderboy
I like a long knob
6,746 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Joined Jul 2005

May 20, 2018 06:54 |  #103

Welcome to POTN. No need to apologise, even though posting in old threads tends to get a lot of comments regarding that, it is the suggested process if you read the rules and guidelines.

For the same price and what you state you want to use the camera for, I'd go for the 7D.
For portraits only, particularly studio portraits, some people would choose the 5D.
As you said, the 7D does have more features and the AF is significantly better.

Dave
Image editing OK

ppahv
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined May 2018

May 20, 2018 07:01 |  #104

Choderboy wrote in post #18628886 (external link)
Welcome to POTN. No need to apologise, even though posting in old threads tends to get a lot of comments regarding that, it is the suggested process if you read the rules and guidelines.

For the same price and what you state you want to use the camera for, I'd go for the 7D.
For portraits only, particularly studio portraits, some people would choose the 5D.
As you said, the 7D does have more features and the AF is significantly better.

Thanks for your reply! I'll opt for the 7D then :-)

sponsored links

41,838 views & 0 likes for this thread
5d classic vs 7D IQ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.