Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 20 May 2013 (Monday) 16:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flickr HUGE Makeover !

ian_socool
Goldmember
1,829 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 21, 2013 09:39 |  #91

BriYahoo announced that it will buy tumbr and at the same time Flickr just got a new update.

70D, 80D, SL1, Sigma 10-20 3.5, Σ30mm 1.4, 40mm 2.8 Pancake Σ70mm 2.8 EX DG Macro, Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Σ85 1.4, Σ50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM APO, Godox AD 200 X's 2, 430EX II X's 2, Yongnuo YN-560II X's 2, Cowboy Studio wireless flash triggers X4.Ian_socool FlickR (external link) Facebook fanpage (external link) http://ianlynphotograp​hy.com (external link)

sponsored links
Pekka
El General Moderator
17,820 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

May 21, 2013 10:30 |  #92

That is so sad, Flickr just lost its personality. They probably hired some pot smoking teen hipsters to redo the site without understanding anything what the site was about and without respecting the community of photographers (the heritage of the site). Such a big resource company like Yahoo should have known better.

Delivering pages in there must be so slow because their pipes can not deliver all those new layouts fast enough! Even opening a simple photoset index like http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jacquisadler/se​ts/ (external link) needs a 13Mb to complete, those 200% zoomed and then center-cropped "thumbs" are full images downloaded. Simply amazing ignorance of all good site design practices.

Comments in http://www.flickr.com …215763354744250​6/page103/ (external link) says it all.

Their new logo color scheme is also very visible on most forums:

IMAGE: http://l.yimg.com/g/images/flickr_logo_small_white.png
:(

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

gewb
710 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Feb 2005

May 21, 2013 10:36 |  #93

Wow, 10,500 posts in 18 hours on the Flickr forum - 99.9% are negative (some even vulgar).

Someone should get fired.

Regards,
GEWB

90D / 60D / Pro1 / A85

mladen77
113 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 21, 2013 11:36 as a reply to  @ gewb's post |  #94

According to this article: The New Flickr: What it Means for Flickr Pro User (external link) all pro accounts will stay at $25, if I understand that correctly and if their information is correct.

Can I Still Keep my Flickr Pro Account?
Yes. Last year, Flickr migrated all Flickr Pro accounts into recurring accounts. As long as your account is by way of a recurring subscription (currently quarterly, yearly or for two years), you can continue to renew your account once it expires.

If your Flickr Pro account was the result of a gift certificate, it's possible that because it is not recurring, it and its benefits will end once it expires.

How Long Can I Keep My Pro Account Active?
We asked Flickr how long Flickr Pro users would be able to continue to renew their accounts and were told, "There are no plans for Pro renewals to go away."

Renewal rates will also remain the same as they are now.

So at least the price remain the same, despite everything else changed. In my opinion some for better and sadly more for worst. Main thing that is confusing is when you click on photo from stream to see it larger you can't get back to that stream without hitting back button in browser (maybe I'm wrong). I'm back from work so now I have time to go throughout all this hype.

G+ (external link) flickr (external link) facebook (external link)WEB (external link)

aquaforester
886 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

May 21, 2013 11:37 |  #95

As mentioned, it appears they did no research to their 'real' user groups and simply went with something current.

BTW how do you find exif data, LOL

Flickr (external link)

Current Gear
Canon 60D, 10-18, 24 Pancake, 60 macro, 70-200 F4

ThreeGuysPhoto
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 21, 2013 11:38 |  #96

gewb wrote in post #15953081 (external link)
Wow, 10,500 posts in 18 hours on the Flickr forum - 99.9% are negative (some even vulgar).

Someone should get fired.

Regards,
GEWB

But what % of Flickr members are in that 99.9%. Those who are unhappy are the ones that post quickly and in numbers. Those of us that think Flickr should have done this a long time ago are not going out of our way to post.

Except for some speed issues and wanting things a bit more customizable I like the new look.

I bet the backlash isn't as bad as it seems and this will blow over soon. Sure, some will leave but I bet there might be a few who left because Flickr had the same old look for so long that will come back now they have updated things.

-Wayne
three guys (external link) | flickr (external link) | gear

koala ­ yummies
736 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Oct 2008

May 21, 2013 11:39 |  #97

sigma pi wrote in post #15951005 (external link)
So I go from Unlimited to 1TB

JeremyBlake wrote in post #15951312 (external link)
You also go from paid to free. You can keep unlimited/Pro if you want though.

Except that before it was $24.99 a year (pro account), no ads, and unlimited storage.

Now it's $49.99 a year no ads, for 1TB.

Sigma Pi has a point. Don't really care about whether is says 'pro' next to my name, but the price has doubled while the storage is reduced.

flickr (external link)

BirdsOfPreyDave
109 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 21, 2013 11:47 as a reply to  @ post 15951537 |  #98

Ugg! Another site that I'm no longer able to use from work. Our IT department has us back on IE7, which doesn't seem to be getting along with the new format.

Dave ║ Hobbyist Photog, Motorcycle Enthusiast, and Avid Disney Fanatic ║ C/C always welcome
flickr (external link)Web Site (external link)Gear (external link)

YankeeMom
Goldmember
3,118 posts
Gallery: 312 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Oct 2008

May 21, 2013 11:52 |  #99

Pekka wrote in post #15953064 (external link)
those 200% zoomed and then center-cropped "thumbs" are full images downloaded. Simply amazing ignorance of all good site design practices.

Another reason for me NOT to like those! :mad:

Kristin
Mom to 11 ~ Still sane and rocking my Canon 5DMkII.
Calibrated with Spyder 4
Website (external link)
| Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | 500px (external link) | Pinterest (external link) | Instagram (external link)

YankeeMom
Goldmember
3,118 posts
Gallery: 312 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Oct 2008

May 21, 2013 12:05 |  #100

aquaforester wrote in post #15953254 (external link)
As mentioned, it appears they did no research to their 'real' user groups and simply went with something current.

BTW how do you find exif data, LOL

Click on a photo, which takes you to the black background, and then click on the three "dots" at the bottom right. You can view exif there. :)

Kristin
Mom to 11 ~ Still sane and rocking my Canon 5DMkII.
Calibrated with Spyder 4
Website (external link)
| Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | 500px (external link) | Pinterest (external link) | Instagram (external link)

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 21, 2013 12:05 |  #101

rjx wrote in post #15951203 (external link)
Storage for approximately 500,000 images ... for free.

what is that at 2mb a pic?

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 21, 2013 12:06 |  #102

kjonnnn wrote in post #15951213 (external link)
I like the look. Thats how the iPad App looks anyway. The previous look was ugly.

IMAGE NOT FOUND PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i288.photobucke​t.com …/ll177/whoami58​/flick.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

WTF no stats!!! LAME!

whiteflyer
Goldmember
1,735 posts
Gallery: 223 photos
Joined Jun 2006

May 21, 2013 12:24 |  #103

sigma pi wrote in post #15953361 (external link)
WTF no stats!!! LAME!

There has never been stats for free accounts, nothing changed in that repect.

It a little too early for me to go on a rant about the new look, at first glance it looks good on say an ipad, but I'm not keen overall, so I need to spend a little more time to see if it'll still fullfil the purpose i use it for.

Whiteflyer Photography (external link) | Gear List

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 21, 2013 12:34 |  #104

TweakMDS wrote in post #15952392 (external link)
In fact, the statistics option is not even available in any of the new memberships, so for double the money I'd lose that. My pro membership expires at the end of August, but I'm not sure if I'm able to renew it, or planning to.

it seems like we are the only one that tracks where our traffic comes from :lol:

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 21, 2013 12:41 |  #105

Pekka wrote in post #15953064 (external link)
They probably hired some pot smoking teen hipsters to redo the site without understanding anything what the site was about and without respecting the community of photographers (the heritage of the site).
:(

I like you :)

sponsored links

42,744 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flickr HUGE Makeover !
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.