Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 May 2013 (Tuesday) 15:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Trading a 7D for a Nikon D7100?!?!

Birdwatcher86
147 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 21, 2013 15:33 |  #1

Well, to start off let me just say, I really like Canon! I have enjoyed my 7D, and it has treated me well these past couple of years. I mostly do nature photography, and more specifically Bird shots. This is something that the 7D definitely excels at!

Now, to talk about my current dilemma. A few weeks ago, my 100-400L malfunctioned. It was nothing major, just an adjustment issue with the focal length ring. It is no longer able to fully secure the lens at any given length. It doesn't affect the quality of the photos or adjusting the length of the lens. It is just a bit more of a pain holding it in place if it needs to be tilted, which makes the zoom creep backwards or forwards on the body of the lens. So, to make a long story short, I decided to sell the lens and acquire a 400mm 5.6 prime instead. That way I would never have to worry about this issue in the future. Also, the prime is of course an excellent birding lens and slightly sharper overall.

I started looking on the web for some camera gadgets (not a good idea for the pocket book) and ran across some of the new cameras that are starting to come out. I have not been in the market at all for something in a long time so I really have been in the dark as to what is out there now. So, I start seeing some stuff that Nikon has developed, such as the D7100 for sub $1k price range. It has these incredible sounding performance features, but yes they are just numbers and not evidence of a superior quality product. But, is it? I mean, I imagine it probably IS a better camera than the 7D; I realize this body is aging a bit and the mark II is probably coming out soon. But do you think it would be worth completely changing to Nikon. Maybe I'm just getting anxious because my camera is starting to become an obsolete product in the Canon lineup (especially with the new 6D, 5D mark III (or mark II for that matter), and at this point I can't afford an upgrade. And when I see these lower prices on the Nikon I think, "Oh, but I could pull that off, I could buy that and still have the "latest and greatest"....

Maybe I'm just over-reacting, but I need some advice here from some fellow Canon users. I don't want this to become a bashing Nikon thread, I just want some honest comparisons and some pros and cons.

Thanks ahead of time :),
Michael

Michael
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/58782637@N07/ (external link)

sponsored links
Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,487 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

May 21, 2013 15:43 |  #2

A camera is just a tool. If you think switching will help, go for it.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 21, 2013 16:18 |  #3

Woolburr wrote in post #15954030 (external link)
A camera is just a tool. If you think switching will help, go for it.

Agreed.

Have you held the D7100? I would recommend renting it for a few days to know for yourself instead of going on what other people say. You may find you hate the ergonomics, you may find you love it, you may find it isn't worth it, you may find it is.
The point is, if you rent it you will know if it is worth it for you rather than going by what a bunch of strangers on the internet with different wants/likes/needs think.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

shedberg
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 21, 2013 18:53 |  #4

One of my shooting buddies has a D7000 that she hates, so she bought a D7100. She returned the D7100 4 days later because it was worse than the D7000.

Meanwhile, another shooting buddy and I both love our 7Ds.

My Flickr Page (external link)
6D / 7D / 16-35 II / 35 2.0 IS / 60 macro / 85 1.8 / 135 2 / 100-400 / 430EX II

Birdwatcher86
THREAD ­ STARTER
147 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 21, 2013 19:51 |  #5

shedberg wrote in post #15954549 (external link)
One of my shooting buddies has a D7000 that she hates, so she bought a D7100. She returned the D7100 4 days later because it was worse than the D7000.

These are the types of examples I'm looking for!

Thanks for your input. I understand that a camera is just a "tool", but that doesn't mean that all tools are created equal.

Michael
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/58782637@N07/ (external link)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 21, 2013 20:07 |  #6

Birdwatcher86 wrote in post #15954707 (external link)
These are the types of examples I'm looking for!

Thanks for your input. I understand that a camera is just a "tool", but that doesn't mean that all tools are created equal.

I would advise asking your question in the Nikon thread. Dgrphotos has a D7100 with a 200 f2 VR and loves the combo. :) Send him a PM.

You'll find him in the dedicated Nikon thread. ;)

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1249332

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 21, 2013 20:18 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

What exactly was wrong with the D7000/7100?

Saying someone hates something is very strong and should be followed up with details.

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 21, 2013 20:18 |  #8

Hates? What is it about the camera she hates? Does she expect magic when using green box mode? ;)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 21, 2013 20:18 |  #9

Hogloff wrote in post #15954809 (external link)
What exactly was wrong with the D7000/7100?

Saying someone hates something is very strong and should be followed up with details.

Exactly. :) I've seen a bunch of users on FM use this camera and the images were very good. :)

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

May 21, 2013 20:31 |  #10

Switch because:

- is your current gear holding you back
- grass is greener on the other side
- because you just want to

:D

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

jhayesvw
Cream of the Crop
7,230 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Joined Jan 2011

May 21, 2013 22:49 as a reply to  @ Tony_Stark's post |  #11

One thing to think about is Nikon's lens selection.

Nikon doesnt currently have a 400 5.6 with AF that I know of.
They do have a 300 f4.

So, unless you want to drop $5k on a lens you may want to stick with the 7d.
Ive considered switching to Nikon but always stop because of their long lens choices.

My Flickr (external link)

jocau
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Mar 2012

May 21, 2013 23:26 as a reply to  @ jhayesvw's post |  #12

Definitely hold a D7100 in your hands before you buy it. I went to a store last weekend to see if they had a 5D3 demo camera. Sadly enough they didn't, but I played around a bit with different cameras (e.g. a 7D, a D600 and a D7100). The Nikon cameras felt horrible in my hands. I really preferred the 7D ergonomically. What I'm saying is: a camera is more than only specifications.

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

deadheadtoday
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined May 2013

May 21, 2013 23:29 as a reply to  @ jhayesvw's post |  #13

I'm new here, came here hoping this site would be a bit different i.e., more professional than so many of the other web sites I have frequented. I may be mistaken in that respect.

Why does anyone come onto a forum related to Canon (or Nikon) cameras telling why they are leaving brand Canon, or Nikon, or any other brand for that matter? Can't you just go quietly into the night? Jump to a Nikon (or any other brand you choose) forum and sing its praise there, but please spare us the song and dance routine as to why you're leaving brand X,Y, Or Z. To be honest, I don't care why you are leaving, and I doubt many others do either. Just leave and take up a new life elsewhere, sing the praises of your new brand on their forums knowing we wish you the beast of luck with your new choice. Again, please just go quietly.

DHT

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 22, 2013 06:08 |  #14

deadheadtoday wrote in post #15955296 (external link)
I'm new here, came here hoping this site would be a bit different i.e., more professional than so many of the other web sites I have frequented. I may be mistaken in that respect.

Why does anyone come onto a forum related to Canon (or Nikon) cameras telling why they are leaving brand Canon, or Nikon, or any other brand for that matter? Can't you just go quietly into the night? Jump to a Nikon (or any other brand you choose) forum and sing its praise there, but please spare us the song and dance routine as to why you're leaving brand X,Y, Or Z. To be honest, I don't care why you are leaving, and I doubt many others do either. Just leave and take up a new life elsewhere, sing the praises of your new brand on their forums knowing we wish you the beast of luck with your new choice. Again, please just go quietly.

DHT

Just an FYI. This forum welcomes other brands. ;)

match14
362 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 22, 2013 06:21 |  #15

Do you shoot in RAW and do you use high speed burst often? If so it is worth noting that the buffer in the D7100 is not as deep as the 7D.

David
500px (external link)
Gear

sponsored links

12,429 views & 0 likes for this thread
Trading a 7D for a Nikon D7100?!?!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.