Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 20 May 2013 (Monday) 16:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flickr HUGE Makeover !

scottda
462 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

May 21, 2013 16:40 |  #166

image monster wrote in post #15954127 (external link)
Nooo!!!:( They got rid of the map viewer on the right hand corner where you can just hover over and shows you the location on the map.

Gotta hope that was an oversight and they'll bring that back.

flickr (external link)
2x Panasonic Lumix GX8 | Panasonic Lumix LX100
AF: Lumix G Vario 7-14 f4 | Lumix G Vario 14-140 f3.5-5.6 | Lumix G Vario 100-300 f4-5.6 II | Lumix G 20 f1.7 | Lumix G 42.5 f1.7 | Olympus 75 f1.8
MF: S-M-C Takumar 50 f1.4

sponsored links
scottda
462 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 21, 2013 16:59 |  #167

Does anybody else find the new cover (banner) photo ridiculously long and narrow? It's dimensionally ludicrous unless you do crazy panoramas. I tried to change it and it requires a huge file or else it is ridiculously pixelated.

flickr (external link)
AF: Lumix G Vario 7-14 f4 | Lumix G Vario 14-140 f3.5-5.6 | Lumix G Vario 100-300 f4-5.6 II | Lumix G 20 f1.7 | Lumix G 42.5 f1.7 | Olympus 75 f1.8

scottda
462 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 21, 2013 17:01 |  #168

They gave me a default banner photo that looks like birds flying in an golden sky but it looks like crap.

flickr (external link)

PMGphotog
342 posts
Joined Jul 2011

May 21, 2013 17:13 |  #169

You can edit the banner. Links on the right side of the page near the top.

However it seems to be down again for me.

Canon EOS 1000d /60d : 18-55mm IS kit lens. Canon 50mm 1.8 MK2. Tamron 55-200mm F4-5.6, battery grip to make my cam look pro..and 30mm Sigma F1.4 recently added
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/patmcguire2011/ (external link)

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 21, 2013 17:17 |  #170

scottda wrote in post #15954261 (external link)
They gave me a default banner photo that looks like birds flying in an golden sky but it looks like crap.

I had flowers :(

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

scottda
462 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 21, 2013 17:53 |  #171

sigma pi wrote in post #15954302 (external link)
I had flowers :(

Ouch! :confused:

I changed mine to solid black. Much better.

flickr (external link)

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,530 posts
Gallery: 326 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

May 21, 2013 17:58 |  #172

I am not against change. I could have understood a more modern look. But this is more than just a new design, a new look; they have changed the very nature of flickr. It is a different site now, set up to make money. The new accounts also reflect this. The new flickr is clearly designed to target a new user group, the youngsters with the iPhones and tablets that take numerous snapshots and run them through instagram: the facebook and tumblr generation. They will no doubt love the new flickr. And too bad for the old pro users who actually still use cameras and who made flickr what it is today and who loved the old flickr, sharing their images, supporting one another, learning from each other...

For me there are three major complaints.

1. I cannot get anything done on the site anymore as it freezes and hangs and pages take forever to load, if they load at all. Even if I were to really like the new flickr, I couldn't stay because it is maddeningly slow and totally unworkable.

2. I hate the justified images of the photostream. I used to have my two collections up there ("birds" and "non birds") next to my medium-sized images. Dividing my photostream in those two collections was important for me and my visitors. But collections are now hidden in a menu and I can't display them anymore and all I have now is a wall of photographs. I agree with the statement that photographs need space to breathe. Well, they can't do on a flickr photostream anymore.

3. I hate to have my images displayed on black. It is such a wrong colour to display images on. Backgrounds need to be as neutral as possible. Grey is best. White is much better than black. I edit my images on a neutral (grey) background and having them on black now is just so wrong. But no doubt it is what the instagram generation loves as it makes their images 'pop' so much more and they don't know any better.

If they would solve the first complaint (making flickr snappy and quick to handle again) and give me a choice on how to display my images both on the photostream page (not justified) as well as on the photo page (not on black) I could probably learn to live with the rest, such as:

-no map next to the images anymore.
-not being able to overview all the info of a given photograph in the stream now. One needs to hover over an image and even then only have limited info.
-only the last comments are visible and the rest require a click to be seen.
-pages don't end anymore but continue to scroll and load images and freezes everything, plus making the links in the footer damn near impossible to access.
-pages not ending anymore also makes it very difficult to look for certain images as you can't hop to page 15 or whatever anymore but you have to endlessly scroll your way down.
-the homepage is totally messed up and ridiculous.
-etc.

What a mess...

Levina (not Lavina, Lavinia, Levinia, Ludwina and what not, mkay?)
My flickr (external link)

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 21, 2013 18:03 |  #173

scottda wrote in post #15954382 (external link)
Ouch! :confused:

I changed mine to solid black. Much better.

hmmm that's a great idea!

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

skatchkins
266 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

May 21, 2013 18:04 |  #174

padmasana wrote in post #15954176 (external link)
I like the new design..... The old design was cumbersome -- so much so, that I would direct people to Flickriver to view anything I wanted them to see.

X2 as my signature line on forums still leads to flickr images laid out on an alternate site.

nsuphoto.com (external link)
armchaircrisis.com (external link)

skatchkins
266 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 21, 2013 18:22 as a reply to  @ skatchkins's post |  #175

Interesting. Add ?details=1 to the back end of your page and it reverts the display to the old spread out format.

Example: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/skatchkins/page​4/?details=1 (external link)

Still has the timeline-esque header though.

nsuphoto.com (external link)
armchaircrisis.com (external link)

mladen77
113 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 21, 2013 18:24 as a reply to  @ skatchkins's post |  #176

I hear that Kevin Kubota is preparing new PS action: Flickr white frame
standalone for $49,99 ;) Get some light into that black background, and for first 100, there is one completely free action that will add 50% gray for that avid control freaks.

And to get a bit more serious this is why everyone can get 1TB for free:

Despite its new FAQ page stating that users can upload photos up to 200MB in size to the photo sharing service, customers keen to back up their photo library discovered that the 300MB monthly upload limit is still in place.
As some more mathematically inclined Flickr users were quick to point out, that 300MB restriction would mean it would take 277 years to fill 1TB of space online.

Source: LINK (external link)

It's not important to me as I didn't put anything up in few months, but do you have info if they removed this limit?

G+ (external link) flickr (external link) facebook (external link)WEB (external link)

jack880
Goldmember
2,850 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2011

May 21, 2013 18:24 |  #177

skatchkins wrote in post #15954462 (external link)
Interesting. Add ?details=1 to the back end of your page and it reverts the display to the old spread out format.

Example: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/skatchkins/page​4/?details=1 (external link)

Still has the timeline-esque header though.

Ha, it works but says I have 0 photos - although I can see them all.

Reminds me how much better the old photostream was....

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/jackhenriques/ (external link)
1DX, 7D, 20D, G7X II, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 24-70 f/2.8 L, 16-35 f/2.8 L II, 50 f/1.8 II, 50 f/1.4, TS-E 17 f/4 L, 8-15 f/4 L, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8, Sigma 8-16 f/4.5-5.6, Sigma 150 f/2.8 macro, x1.4 extender II, Kenko extension tubes, 430 EX II x 2, DJI Mavic Air

JTF
755 posts
Joined Mar 2005

May 21, 2013 18:41 |  #178

http://mashable.com …05/20/flickr-pro-changes/ (external link)

rjx
Goldmember
2,670 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 21, 2013 19:00 |  #179

Hopefully more people will continue to take the time to offer their feedback

[Official topic] Feedback on today’s site changes
http://www.flickr.com/​help/forum/72157633547​442506/ (external link)

http://www.flickr.com/​help/forum/en-us/ (external link)

"It doesn't matter what camera you have if your photography has nothing worthwhile to say"
“Photos are everywhere. You just have to know how to look.”

Dillan_K
Goldmember
1,134 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Apr 2009

May 21, 2013 19:03 |  #180

The spinning balls are nice. That's about all I see. It's not loading.

It has to be very nice for me to pay $50.00 a year. Back to good old 'photo.net' for me if I don't like it by February next year! Flickr was so convenient. Sigh.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

42,911 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flickr HUGE Makeover !
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.