Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 20 May 2013 (Monday) 16:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flickr HUGE Makeover !

The ­ F ­ stops ­ here
Goldmember
2,061 posts
Joined Sep 2012

May 21, 2013 19:08 |  #181

Well as i just finally figured out :oops: the new Flickr is not very compatible on older browsers, just upgraded my mozilla to the newest version and now almost everything works (except for the "edit" page) feelin kinda silly. Still don't like it though.

JD
Talent will get you far, but not as far as ambition
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/lenzfreak/ (external link)
Smugmug-primefocus.smugmug.com (external link)

sponsored links
splathecat
57 posts
Joined Feb 2013

May 21, 2013 19:10 as a reply to  @ post 15954566 |  #182

Pros

- More modern
- Can more easily see larger images, I don't own a DSLR to take 600px wide shots
- No goddamn ratings like 500px that turn it into a bloody awful competition

Cons

- Photo height appears limited
- Slow and frequently breaks formatting
- Image placement isn't as neat as 500px
- Black background doesn't really compliment photos
- No map
- Annoying slideshow setting is like something out of 2003
- The big white search box is distracting and too close to the image borders

spiderm0nkey
62 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Sep 2012

May 21, 2013 19:15 |  #183

Honestly I quite like the new layout. I was never a big fan of the old flickr layout so I never ended up using flickr very often.

However there seem to be some issues when I try to view a photo... The page loads with no formatting so everything is in a column on the left. I re-installed Chrome yesterday so I think they have some work to do yet!

Canon 5D Mk 2 + Grip | 40 F/2.8 | 17-40 F/4 L | 85 F/1.8 | 50 F/1.4

rjx
Goldmember
2,670 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 21, 2013 19:24 |  #184

Yahoo chief Marissa Mayer catches heat for comments about Flickr and professional photographers
http://www.imaging-resource.com …s-about-flickr-and-profes (external link)

"It doesn't matter what camera you have if your photography has nothing worthwhile to say"
“Photos are everywhere. You just have to know how to look.”

Elfstop
720 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2012

May 21, 2013 19:30 |  #185

Better layout...but black is so...bland.

mannetti21
Goldmember
3,108 posts
Gallery: 113 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

May 21, 2013 19:49 |  #186

rjx wrote in post #15954630 (external link)
Yahoo chief Marissa Mayer catches heat for comments about Flickr and professional photographers
http://www.imaging-resource.com …s-about-flickr-and-profes (external link)

Rather bold comment by this woman, but whatever.

From the Flickr FAQ:

I’ve heard that Flickr Pro is no longer being offered. How does that affect me?

As of May 20, 2013, we are no longer offering Flickr Pro subscriptions to the majority of our members. Some things to be aware of (with more details below):

Recurring Pro members currently have the ability to continue renewing at the same price.
Eligible Pro members can get a prorated refund for a limited time.
Eligible non-recurring Pro members can purchase a recurring Pro subscription.
The “Gift of Pro” will no longer be available for purchase.
Pro users will no longer appear with a “Pro” badge beside their name or buddy icon

Your Pro pricing remains the same and your benefits have improved:

Those who remain Pro will retain all their original benefits.
The photo and video size limits will be upgraded to those offered with our new free account.
If you are on a recurring Pro subscription, your payments will remain as is. To see what your current subscription costs, see the previous payment on in your order history.
Pro members will never be automatically transitioned to an Ad Free or Doublr subscription.

Wait...what???
My question now is what is different between current "Pro" accounts and the new free accounts? They are giving the option to continue paying for Pro renewal, but why would anyone continue to pay for what appears to be identical service as a free account?

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

Bruce_Bird
995 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 21, 2013 20:17 as a reply to  @ spiderm0nkey's post |  #187

spiderm0nkey wrote:
I re-installed Chrome yesterday

Problem identified :)

- Bruce -
- Langwarrin Victoria -
- Gear List -

J_TULLAR
Goldmember
3,011 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 21, 2013 20:17 |  #188

mannetti21 wrote in post #15954698 (external link)

From the Flickr FAQ:

As of May 20, 2013, we are no longer offering Flickr Pro subscriptions to the majority of our members. Some things to be aware of (with more details below):

Recurring Pro members currently have the ability to continue renewing at the same price.
Pro users will no longer appear with a “Pro” badge beside their name or buddy icon

The photo and video size limits will be upgraded to those offered with our new free account.
If you are on a recurring Pro subscription, your payments will remain as is. To see what your current subscription costs, see the previous payment on in your order history.
Pro members will never be automatically transitioned to an Ad Free or Doublr subscription.

Wait...what???
My question now is what is different between current "Pro" accounts and the new free accounts? They are giving the option to continue paying for Pro renewal, but why would anyone continue to pay for what appears to be identical service as a free account?

you get stats, unlimited uploads a month (1tb cap) and no ads lol

Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

mannetti21
Goldmember
3,108 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 21, 2013 20:58 |  #189

J_TULLAR wrote in post #15954807 (external link)
you get stats, unlimited uploads a month (1tb cap) and no ads lol

brb...cancelling auto-renew

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

DavidAndrew
37 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 21, 2013 21:00 as a reply to  @ J_TULLAR's post |  #190

I like it so far. I was all set to soon dive into 500px more but with this update I may just revitalize my old Flickr acct. I'm also curious to see if/how yahoo integrates Flickr with my Tumblr blog.

Just one annoying thing however is the big white search box. They need a more elegant way to do that, like hide it.

David
Portfolio / Blog  (external link) | Flickr  (external link) | 500px  (external link) | Instagram  (external link)

krepta
I swear I'm Ken Rockwell!
8,482 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 21, 2013 21:38 |  #191

mannetti21 wrote in post #15954698 (external link)

From the Flickr FAQ:

Wait...what???

This is clearer than the information we had yesterday, thanks for sharing.

I'm on the fence about the changes. There are elements that I like, and some that I don't. I do feel, though, that the new account options are a slap in the face for many long time Pro users who make up the core of the Flickr community. It's great for Free users and newcomers, of course. I'll have to play around the new interface and see if I can get accustomed to it and get to like it before I decide whether or not I want to stick around.

Alex | flickr (external link) | Gear & Feedback | Food! (external link)

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
5,854 posts
Gallery: 87 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2010

May 21, 2013 21:51 |  #192

sigma pi wrote in post #15953361 (external link)
WTF no stats!!! LAME!

can I ask why stats are important? Are comments and favorites not enough?

Cory
Sony ⍺6500 | Sigma 56/1.4 | Sony/Zeiss E 24/1.8 | Samyang 12/2
flickr (external link) flickr (external link)
Feedback

mannetti21
Goldmember
3,108 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 21, 2013 22:21 |  #193

idsurfer wrote in post #15955093 (external link)
can I ask why stats are important? Are comments and favorites not enough?

I actually like to see the stats. Since most viewers probably don't leave comments or favorites, it gives you a good idea of which photos are receiving the hits, and from what source. I suppose it isn't all that important, but then again, how important is a "nice shot" comment, or a "favorite" designation?

I just can't believe they are actually asking people to continue paying for Pro status. Even with an unlimited storage...if the max daily upload is 300MB (i think someone mentioned this earlier), then it takes literally hundreds of years to reach the 1TB limit on free accounts. Would be interested to see how invasive these ads can be on the free accounts.

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

Jamooche
513 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 21, 2013 22:42 |  #194

The black backgrounds and lack of information is ridiculous. Now we have to scroll and click around where before we had all the info, maps, etc. right there. We only had black backgrounds as an option. Bring back the option to view it the old way please!

I really just started using Flickr last year because of the nice easy interface instead of using only my Wordpress website. I just went on over to 500px.com and it is a breath of fresh air. I think I may transfer over to 500px and forget Flickr.

http://www.jamilabbasy​.com (external link) | flickr (external link)

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,022 posts
Gallery: 290 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

May 21, 2013 23:20 |  #195

Another thing you loose if you go from a Pro account to a free account is the ability to replace a photo.

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

sponsored links

40,515 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flickr HUGE Makeover !
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.