Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 10 Jan 2006 (Tuesday) 14:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Boston POTN Meet (2)

this thread is locked
symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,623 posts
Joined Nov 2005

May 21, 2013 14:23 |  #7786

So we are doing some fencing around the perimeter of the house, and i used to think that people you would see on Holmes vs. Homes were suckers, or just didn't do their homework...

Now that i'm dealing with these contractors, i can clearly see, it's not just them. Contractors, particularly Fence contractors are all shady as ****. None of them deliver a quote on time, they give vague references about what and when they can deliver and the ones on Angieslist look like they wrote their own reviews...

Totally shady man. I'm about to build my own g-damn fence. This is ridiculous. It's like picking the least evil of the bunch is the name of the game. And you don't know the level of evil of that last one either...

sigh.

/Vent.

sponsored links
Skip ­ Souza
Cream of the Crop
26,204 posts
Joined Mar 2005

May 21, 2013 14:35 |  #7787

Angie's List? Do you have a long time fence supply/builder, not just someone with a truck? Perhaps Home depot or Lowes? You get what you pay for.

Bless the recently fallen and their family and friends.
I have a Cannon with me at all times. You can't take the shot if you don't have something with which to shoot. :rolleyes:
That which does not kill me ~~ Should Run.
5DMkII, 7D, 70-300L IS, 24-105L,
No more PayPal gift payment requests.
"PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."

symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,623 posts
Joined Nov 2005

May 21, 2013 14:41 |  #7788

Home Depot/Lowes sells the cheaper stuff. We are looking for Vinyl Fence. Particularly Kroy products. They have .25 thickness. HD/Lowes has thinner walls.

Angieslist.com is like a contractor review site, popular around these parts. They 'claim' to have unmolested reviews, but i find it hard to believe reading some of these...

We went to 4 different fence suppliers in our area, not guys with trucks. Businesses with the appearance of reputability. But alas... they all seem rather incompetent.

Harm
I don't always post, but when I do, I drink Dos Equis....
48,663 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2008

May 21, 2013 14:48 |  #7789

Angie's list is a pile of ****. unless the job is "big", they aren't interested, and they have inflated prices now.

SmugMug (external link)

Mistabernie
'Camera Unicorn McSparkles'..
2,744 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

May 21, 2013 14:51 |  #7790

yeah, Angie's list is such a good concept.. pay money to review stuff for other people, who also pay money, but may not review stuff. Can't see anything wrong with this model.. Hell, I think I get recommendations from Angie's List as a photographer, that ought to tell you something!

Donate if you love POTN! | Smugmug (external link) | Gear List & POTN Marketplace Feedback
Feel free to call me Bernie.
LIVING PROOF WHY YOU DON'T MENTION THE TITLE FAIRY...

Skip ­ Souza
Cream of the Crop
26,204 posts
Joined Mar 2005

May 21, 2013 14:58 |  #7791

You may have to refer to You Tube How-to videos, a good pair of gloves, large bottle of the magic blue pills ( Aleve :) ) and a bottle of liniment. A few good friends and a BBQ may be in order too. Good luck.

Bless the recently fallen and their family and friends.
I have a Cannon with me at all times. You can't take the shot if you don't have something with which to shoot. :rolleyes:
That which does not kill me ~~ Should Run.
5DMkII, 7D, 70-300L IS, 24-105L,
No more PayPal gift payment requests.
"PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."

Nathan
Can you repeat the question, please?
7,893 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

May 21, 2013 15:13 |  #7792

Skip Souza wrote in post #15953893 (external link)
You may have to refer to You Tube How-to videos, a good pair of gloves, large bottle of the magic blue pills ( Aleve :) ) and a bottle of liniment. A few good friends and a BBQ may be in order too. Good luck.

I offered before - count me in. I love a good barbecue.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 50L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 580 EX II x2

Harm
I don't always post, but when I do, I drink Dos Equis....
48,663 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2008

May 21, 2013 16:06 |  #7793

Plenty of severe storms and some tornados in New England. Play it safe fellas.

SmugMug (external link)

sansational
Reverse Psychologist
2,386 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2011

May 21, 2013 16:17 |  #7794

Grew up and lived in Iowa for 23 years, and went through my fair share of tornado scares. One ripped through my college campus in Iowa City (even went across the river) Easter weekend of my freshman year. Had some crazy rain Sunday and yesterday, high winds, didn't see anything related to tornadoes this time around. Heart aches for those in OK.

Andrew
flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

scotteisenphotography
Never been blessed
4,147 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 21, 2013 19:39 |  #7795

Was a interesting day out on the islands.

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5444/8771181459_516bbd552c_c.jpg

2X Canon 1Dx|Canon 1D Mark IV|Canon 5D Mark III|14mm 2.8L II|16-35mm 2.8L II|24mm 1.4L II|35mm 1.4L|50mm 1.2L |85mm 1.2L II|70-200 2.8L IS|200mm 2.0L IS|300mm 2.8L IS|400mm 2.8L IS|800mm 5.6L IS| 580EX II| 600EX RT II|

USMCCpl
98 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2013

May 21, 2013 20:21 |  #7796

scotteisenphotography wrote in post #15951798 (external link)
Hello, sir!

That is a nice pic of the island as well!

http://heatware.com/ev​al.php?id=68582 (external link)
T3i, 18-55mm, 55-250mm

t3ichef
275 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 21, 2013 20:40 |  #7797

Harm wrote in post #15951562 (external link)
What an utter load of rubbish. Clearly you don't work in the global field of the power industry. My projects range from in Chile through to Sudan/Nigeria, Trinidad, Europe, Middle East, the US, Australia etc. all is the same. Solar/wind is too expensive and unreliable. Not everyone gets the US subsidies. Other countries have a much better push on renewables but it is expensive. When I do lenders engineering work for a bank, they won't lend money if you do not make a return on investment.

im an investor, and i dont have to work in any particular sector to know how the money is spent, i have press releases on my desktop pertaining to global fossil fuel subsidies. 630 billion dollars worth of petrolium is subsidized in emerging markets (developing countries) YOY since 2008. globally, when you include the US, nearly 1 trillion dollars (probably more) will be subsidized this year 2013 globally. i dont think it's any wonder why petrolium technology is so advanced, is getting more advanced, and no other technology is allowed to take hold because simply put, they are outspent.

but i digress...this is a photo forum. we can agree to disagree, but please realize that technology is driven by r&d, and r&d comes from investment. nobody is investing in solar because its too expensive, because it's costs are minimally subsidized by the most monetarily wealthy institutions on earth, large 1st world governments. the technology developed in heavily subsidized areas of the world, will in short order, make it's way to other areas of the world, thereby benefiting those markets indirectly via the subsidies that make that technology possible.

t3ichef
275 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 21, 2013 20:51 |  #7798

symbolphoto wrote in post #15953834 (external link)
Home Depot/Lowes sells the cheaper stuff. We are looking for Vinyl Fence. Particularly Kroy products. They have .25 thickness. HD/Lowes has thinner walls.

Angieslist.com is like a contractor review site, popular around these parts. They 'claim' to have unmolested reviews, but i find it hard to believe reading some of these...

We went to 4 different fence suppliers in our area, not guys with trucks. Businesses with the appearance of reputability. But alas... they all seem rather incompetent.

kroy is sold under the same name. from the cheap crap to the more expensive thicker walled stuff. i like the digger specialties stuff because it is framed in aluminum, with heavy duty aluminum brackets. the posts are basically a vinyl shell over an aluminum post. you should be estimating about 2x the price for vinyl as wood. if someone is telling you equal quotes for wood and vinyl, run for the hills, even if they say they're installing kroy. kroy's cheap stuff, once again, is sold under the exact same name. be careful. check with bbb.org before hiring anyone.

i used to work for a fence company...most of our jobs were repairing broken/sagging fence panels from big box store customers.

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,668 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 21, 2013 20:53 |  #7799

symbolphoto wrote in post #15953013 (external link)
I was saying to my wife earlier that we never have to worry about that here, but then i remembered what happened out in western Ma 2 years ago.

Never say never.

That hit my hometown.

If I lived in Moore I'd be looking to live elsewhere.

www.tinnitus-photography.com (external link)
Facebook link (external link)

gear list

symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,623 posts
Joined Nov 2005

May 21, 2013 21:09 |  #7800

t3ichef wrote in post #15954903 (external link)
kroy is sold under the same name. from the cheap crap to the more expensive thicker walled stuff. i like the digger specialties stuff because it is framed in aluminum, with heavy duty aluminum brackets. the posts are basically a vinyl shell over an aluminum post. you should be estimating about 2x the price for vinyl as wood. if someone is telling you equal quotes for wood and vinyl, run for the hills, even if they say they're installing kroy. kroy's cheap stuff, once again, is sold under the exact same name. be careful. check with bbb.org before hiring anyone.

i used to work for a fence company...most of our jobs were repairing broken/sagging fence panels from big box store customers.

They don't make aluminum privacy fence. Just picket stuff.

sponsored links

674,668 views & 0 likes for this thread
Boston POTN Meet (2)
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.