Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 20 May 2013 (Monday) 16:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flickr HUGE Makeover !

Plumtreelad
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 22, 2013 01:34 |  #211

My background just went from black to white????

5D Mk III|7D |1DmkIV |10 -22 |24 -105 F4 IS L | 35 F2 IS | 70-200 F2.8 IS II L | 85 1.8 | 300 F2.8 IS MK II L|1.4 Extender MK III |
flickr (external link)
david kissman photography (external link)

sponsored links
vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
12,687 posts
Gallery: 254 photos
Joined Jun 2009

May 22, 2013 04:17 |  #212

neil@domino.org wrote in post #15955506 (external link)
I can't believe they did this without some sort of beta/feedback from pro users...

Agree... But users would have never agreed and it is just about making more money out of us suckers...

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8 VC + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

May 22, 2013 04:20 |  #213

vk2gwk wrote in post #15955704 (external link)
Agree... But users would have never agreed and it is just about making more money out of us suckers...

You mean that they shouldn't make money?

Or what is the main reason for the existence of Flickr?

And you feel Free is too expensive?

Or that the Pro price of $25 was ok but suddenly isn't, despite the Pro accounts not losing anything but instead gaining some improvements?

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
12,687 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 22, 2013 04:21 |  #214

The only way to win is to cancel your subscription, start showing your photos somewhere else and ignore Flickr.
When I look at the number of Flickr users world wide - and that is what was attracting the potential advertisers - represented on POTN it would be a shock to the Flickr system if we all left for somewhere else. Power is in numbers - think about it when you are unhappy with Flickr.

5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8 VC + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...

ohata0
557 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 22, 2013 05:04 |  #215

not sure i like the layout...didn't really look at it much. images and everything loaded ok for me.

but i like that i can access full resolution now (i'm a free user).
i'm guessing that the 200 recent photo limit is gone now (i never did upload more than 200)...if so, i guess i'll go back to flickr as my photo sharing site.

vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
12,687 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 22, 2013 05:28 |  #216

pwm2 wrote in post #15955706 (external link)
You mean that they shouldn't make money?

Or what is the main reason for the existence of Flickr?

And you feel Free is too expensive?

Or that the Pro price of $25 was ok but suddenly isn't, despite the Pro accounts not losing anything but instead gaining some improvements?

I don't think you got the complete picture...
I am a PRO subscriber and to get ad free I all of a sudden have to pay twice what I paid per year. And for double that money I get less than I had (unlimited).
I don't mind businesses making money - I like to make money as well - but I think Flickr just ignored their mainstream customers wishes because advertising seems to make more money than regular subscriptions.
That means subscribers don't count and you can just wait for next change that makes it even more unattractive for pro users - users that use Flickr to show their work.

Jan ­ Jasinski
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,993 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 22, 2013 06:05 |  #217

The app store says I can update the flickr app but I won't do it.
It'll probably be extremely slow and too much stuff on a tiny iPod screen.

photojan.ca (external link) | Instagram (external link)

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

May 22, 2013 06:15 |  #218

vk2gwk wrote in post #15955774 (external link)
I don't think you got the complete picture...
I am a PRO subscriber and to get ad free I all of a sudden have to pay twice what I paid per year. And for double that money I get less than I had (unlimited).
I don't mind businesses making money - I like to make money as well - but I think Flickr just ignored their mainstream customers wishes because advertising seems to make more money than regular subscriptions.
That means subscribers don't count and you can just wait for next change that makes it even more unattractive for pro users - users that use Flickr to show their work.

I think you are totally wrong, and angry with them on totally wrong grounds.

I think the Pro accounts are ad-free without you needing to pay anything extra.

They specify a cost of $50 for the free accounts to upgrade to ad-free.

And your Pro account still has unlimited storage for the current price of $25. It's the users of the Free accounts that needs to chip in $500 if they have filled their first TB and want a second TB.

So no, saying that subscribers don't count seems to be totally based on wrong assumptions. Have you actually spent time looking at the FAQ, or requesting more information, before you started to decide to be angry and write angry posts?

It's because the current Pro accounts have more features at a lower cost than their new offerings, that they don't allow more Pro accounts to be signed. So they honor the existing Pro users (and actually improves them by increasing the max size of stills and video files).

And the cost of $50 to remove ads isn't much either, for the non-Pro users.
And the cost of $500 for a second TB isn't much either, since that amount only needs to be payed by people who have been running free and filled at least 1TB. How cheap/fun is it to host a web site with data replication?

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

mladen77
113 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 22, 2013 06:28 |  #219

pwm2 wrote in post #15955839 (external link)
I think you are totally wrong, and angry with them on totally wrong grounds.

I think the Pro accounts are ad-free without you needing to pay anything extra.

They specify a cost of $50 for the free accounts to upgrade to ad-free.

And your Pro account still has unlimited storage for the current price of $25. It's the users of the Free accounts that needs to chip in $500 if they have filled their first TB and want a second TB.

So no, saying that subscribers don't count seems to be totally based on wrong assumptions. Have you actually spent time looking at the FAQ, or requesting more information, before you started to decide to be angry and write angry posts?

It's because the current Pro accounts have more features at a lower cost than their new offerings, that they don't allow more Pro accounts to be signed. So they honor the existing Pro users (and actually improves them by increasing the max size of stills and video files).

And the cost of $50 to remove ads isn't much either, for the non-Pro users.
And the cost of $500 for a second TB isn't much either, since that amount only needs to be payed by people who have been running free and filled at least 1TB. How cheap/fun is it to host a web site with data replication?

pwm2 I think you nailed it, the main problem is that yesterday there was a lot confusion about what will happen to pro accounts and now people are starting to get real info that does not look bad. Regarding the look of new flicker, well I personally have dark toned web, and I use justified image gallery for quite some time to showcase my pictures in blog posts, so this new look is more in line with that :) As to navigation and some other stuff I think that we will se more or less changes in next few weeks. All in all my flickr renewal is in three weeks, and I think I will remain "pro".

G+ (external link) flickr (external link) facebook (external link)WEB (external link)

iamascientist
680 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 22, 2013 07:22 |  #220

neil@domino.org wrote in post #15955506 (external link)
I can't believe they did this without some sort of beta/feedback from pro users...

Just so people know, they actually did force the new layout on a select group of users over the last few weeks (I wasnt one of them, but a contact was), and even the test group gave 99.8 negative feedback, to which Flickr paid no attention, and went ahead with the changes anyway.

Gerald-NC
174 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Dec 2006

May 22, 2013 07:45 |  #221

I love it!!! I think the layout is beautiful. Of course I don't have but a few photos on there compared to many of you, but I think it's a great layout to show off our photos. My account is of course the free model, and I see no ads.

C&C Is Always Welcomed and Encouraged!
500px (external link)
Canon EOS Rebel XSi / 450D Kit EF-S IS 18-55mm Lens, Shorty 40mm, EF 55-250mm STM

YankeeMom
Goldmember
3,115 posts
Gallery: 305 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Oct 2008

May 22, 2013 07:56 |  #222

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #15955281 (external link)
Another thing you loose if you go from a Pro account to a free account is the ability to replace a photo.

WHAT?! Are you sure about that? That is a serious loss. Where did you read that?

Kristin
Mom to 11 ~ Still sane and rocking my Canon 5DMkII.
Calibrated with Spyder 4
Website (external link)
| Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | 500px (external link) | Pinterest (external link) | Instagram (external link)

aquaforester
886 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

May 22, 2013 07:59 |  #223

namtot wrote in post #15955949 (external link)
Just so people know, they actually did force the new layout on a select group of users over the last few weeks (I wasnt one of them, but a contact was), and even the test group gave 99.8 negative feedback, to which Flickr paid no attention, and went ahead with the changes anyway.

That makes no sense. Then why spend money on research if you don't utilize the results pro or con?

Flickr (external link)

Current Gear
Canon 60D, 10-18, 24 Pancake, 60 macro, 70-200 F4

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
5,855 posts
Gallery: 87 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2010

May 22, 2013 08:03 |  #224

What are the main reasons people have a pro account? Thanks

Cory
Sony ⍺6500 | Sigma 56/1.4 | Sony/Zeiss E 24/1.8 | Samyang 12/2
flickr (external link) flickr (external link)
Feedback

iamascientist
680 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 22, 2013 08:07 |  #225

aquaforester wrote in post #15956037 (external link)
That makes no sense. Then why spend money on research if you don't utilize the results pro or con?

Your right, and if they don't make drastic changes going foreword, it really wont make any sense. They have received enough feedback over the last 2 days to clearly see that 99% of users aren't happy.

sponsored links

40,556 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flickr HUGE Makeover !
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.