Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 22 May 2013 (Wednesday) 12:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need some advice/tips

six3onei
28 posts
Joined May 2013

May 22, 2013 12:32 |  #1

Hello,
So this weekend my uncle would like me to take some pictures of his middle school basketball team as they play. I told him I never shot sports before but ill give it a try. I know I'm limited with what I can do since the gear I have (T3i, and the lens) but Ill like to make the best of what I have.

My plans are to use my 55-250mm lens. So most of the shots would be at f/5.6
I plan to shot in Manual mode to keep the f/stop at 5.6. and shutter 1/400 or 1/500 (maybe ISO at 800 i hope...) I'm hoping the lights in the gym will be bright so the setting above wont be dark.

any advice or tips? You can see my gear below.

Thanks!

Canon T3i w/ Magic Lantern | EFS 18-55mm IS | EFS 55-250mm IS | EF 50mm 1.8 | EF 40mm 2.8 | Yongnuo YN560 & YN560 II | Canon RC-6

sponsored links
MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

May 22, 2013 14:44 |  #2

Basketball gym... I would say that there is a really low chance you will get good exposure at the settings you are hoping for. The nifty fifty may not focus fast enough but might be worth a try. You also might have to push iso to 1600. You might also be able to get away with slower shutter speeds. Get there during warm ups and try several things before the game starts.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

six3onei
THREAD ­ STARTER
28 posts
Joined May 2013

May 22, 2013 14:46 |  #3

Okay, Thanks for the heads up.

Canon T3i w/ Magic Lantern | EFS 18-55mm IS | EFS 55-250mm IS | EF 50mm 1.8 | EF 40mm 2.8 | Yongnuo YN560 & YN560 II | Canon RC-6

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

May 23, 2013 08:59 |  #4

can you rent a faster lens?

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

six3onei
THREAD ­ STARTER
28 posts
Joined May 2013

May 23, 2013 09:09 |  #5

I could but im not getting paid for this, just helping him out. I didnt think I should.

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,601 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

May 23, 2013 09:41 |  #6

Indoor gyms are notorious for having lousy lighting. That combined with the fact that you need to keep shutter speed up to freeze the action (and almost certainly can't use flash or other lighting) means you really need a wider aperture than you have.

I hope I'm wrong about the lighting. Give it your best shot but don't be overly disappointed if you don't get the results you were hoping for.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

IslandCrow
589 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 23, 2013 10:13 |  #7

Give it a shot. You don't have the best equipment for it, but I think you already know that. . .it's still going to be far better than a point and shoot. Expect your ISO to be up around 3200, so you're going to have to deal with a good amount of noise with the T3i. That's still better than a blurry shot, so keep that shutter speed up around 1/500 as planned. Depending on the action, even that may not be as fast as you'd like. You'll probably get some motion blur in the hands, but overall it should be alright.

Lastly, I'd highly recommend shooting raw in your case. It will give you more flexibility with noise reduction in post processing. 3rd party noise reduction software like Noise Ninja or Neat Image are best, but the noise reduction tools in Lightroom and Photoshop Bridge (either Elements or CS versions) work well.

Have fun, though. There's nothing quite like shooting sports. Shoot in 3-4 shot bursts, use AI servo focusing, and above all, anticipate the action.

six3onei
THREAD ­ STARTER
28 posts
Joined May 2013

May 23, 2013 11:08 |  #8

thanks for the tips. Ill give it a shot and see how it comes out. I don't plan on shooting sports, I just wanted to help him out since he asked.

sponsored links

854 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need some advice/tips
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.