Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 20 May 2013 (Monday) 11:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Airport security and your gear?

ewingeric
30 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 20, 2013 11:14 |  #1

In a couple weeks I will be taking a trip from Dallas to Santa Barbara, CA for a video shoot. I will be bringing such things as a camera (obviously) but more importantly a separate bag case and hard case that will be carrying tripods and sliders as well as electronics, such as audio equipment and batteries and what not. I just want to make sure that none of those things will prevent my cases from traveling with me.

I tried looking for luggage rules and what not on the airlines websites, but could not locate anything.

Could someone help me out with their experience with their gear at airports and let me know if you think I would run into any problems?

Thanks!

sponsored links
CraigPatterson
287 posts
Joined Jul 2012

May 20, 2013 11:54 |  #2

My experience tells me that you will indeed have trouble if you're taking a bunch of gear and treating it as luggage.

If you're bringing that gear as carry-ons, you may not be able to carry on a tripod. They're allowed, but I've still had enough difficulty with them that I actually FedEx the larger ones to my destination first, as mine are too long to check without paying a hefty fee. A smaller tripod is fine in your luggage.

If you're checking the gear, make sure they get hand-inspected at check-in, and lock them with a TSA lock. They can still open that lock, but at least it's something.

But here's the worst part: If your gear is stolen or damaged during the trip, no US airline will reimburse you for it, so make sure everything is insured. They're only liable for a few hundred dollars, even if you had the Crown Jewels in your luggage. They occasionally pay more if they get some bad press, but I wouldn't count on that.

If this is a paid trip, you might be better off renting gear at your destination, depending on how much gear you need. If there's any way possible to do it, pack all the gear as carry-ons, and then check your Duracells, adapters, cabling and clothes.

Alkaline batteries (Duracells and the like) are allowed under all circumstances. Some airlines limit you to two lithium batteries in carry-on, and most will not allow them at all in checked luggage.

I always try to keep everything expensive with me at all costs, which cuts down on my gear volume quite a bit.

I have a ton of gear, but my gear is just a hammer.
www.craigpatterson.com (external link)

veritasimg
210 posts
Joined Sep 2011

May 20, 2013 11:55 |  #3

Just returned from a month long photoshoot project. All my gear (2 bodies, lenses, lights, batteries etc) were on my carry-on. At one of the airports, the agents did want to to check the stuff out. Not a problem, told them upfront that I am a photographer etc. Went on my merry way. The only PITA in that episode was taking the gear out and putting them back in.

Be cooperative since they are doing their jobs for our safety anyway. But make sure you account for all the gear are put back in place. I have lots of triggers and small stuff.

Vancouver Portrait Photographer (external link) | Our latest Works @ Veritas Images (external link) | Let's Get Social! (external link)

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 20, 2013 13:30 |  #4

Don't check anything valuable/fragile.

I check my tripods, monopods, clamps, etc. I carry my lenses, cameras, memory, computers. Never had a problem checking batteries, but put them in their cases.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

May 20, 2013 13:38 |  #5

It's mainly lose batteries that scares them - they don't want a fire.

The international rules for Li-ion batteries are for quite large - or many - batteries, based on the number of grams of lithium that is allowed. But batteries that may short are a big no-no.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

PKIDelirium
35 posts
Joined May 2013

May 20, 2013 18:35 |  #6

pwm2 wrote in post #15950114 (external link)
The international rules for Li-ion batteries are for quite large - or many - batteries, based on the number of grams of lithium that is allowed. But batteries that may short are a big no-no.

Boeing must have missed that memo... :-P

60D, Kiss Digital N/350D, 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, 50 1.8 II, Tamron 10-24, 75-300 III
Film: AE-1 with FD 50 1.8 S.C. and FD 135 3.5. EOS Rebel T2/300X with 28-90 III
[URL="http://flickr.co​m/donaldflint"][URL="h​ttp://flickr.com/donal​dflint"]Flickr

bclark22
49 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 21, 2013 20:52 |  #7

If the luggage/cases are going to be checked bags I would just make sure they have great padding in them for when they get thrown around by the staff. I haven't had any issues taking a whole backpack full of a laptop, DSLR, 3 lenses, 5 batteries, a small tripod, chargers, and a few other accessories like an external hard drive. I would also take the most expensive smaller pieces with me onto the plane as carry on because I don't trust anyone. There are so many people out there that steal things and to make it look less lucrative would be better.

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

May 22, 2013 11:43 |  #8

I'd look into shipping things insured via FedEx. I'd never check expensive gear, luggage locks pretty much open if you look at them sternly. Alternatively see about renting things locally or at least have everything insured. I think airlines cover something like $250 if luggage is lost or stolen.

My local mailboxes place advertises "suitcase boxes" suggesting to ship your entire luggage ahead of time to your destination. Too expensive for international I'm sure, but domestic that could be an interesting option. And FedEx etc ship expensive stuff all the time, I'd guess they are a bit more careful than the luggage wranglers at airports.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

tlzimmerman
258 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 22, 2013 11:50 as a reply to  @ phantelope's post |  #9

Our roller bag is the largest carry on thats allowed, I can fit everything but the tripod in it, tripod gets locked and checked. I have never been stopped or had the bag inspected in 4 trips through security, but I am sure it will happen.

5d Mk III - 5d Mk II - 550d - 24-70L - 70-200L IS II - 24-105 F4 L - 85 1.8 - 50 1.4 - 60 Macro - 15 Fisheye

tickerguy
595 posts
Joined Dec 2012

May 22, 2013 14:56 |  #10

Ship insured FedEx for larger things. I have a carry-on that fits under the seat which is my maximum "on plane" thing. Most hardcases and such can be checked but you will get gang-raped on cost and it is usually cheaper to ship it ahead -- but not always.

TSA will not let anything that they think might be a weapon through. What has tripped people up before with camera gear is most-often spiked feet on tripods. Yes, they think you might stab a cabin attendant with a tripod leg. They're that nuts. Ship it ahead or remove the spikes and put in checked luggage.

Canon 7D & 5d3, EF-S 15-85, 24-105L, 70-200L f/4 IS, 100mm Macro/L, EF 50 f/1.4 and more

Ltdave
it looks like im post #19,016
3,974 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Apr 2012

May 22, 2013 15:04 |  #11

veritasimg wrote in post #15949814 (external link)
...they are doing their jobs for our safety anyway...

either youre being sarcastic or you completely snowed...

-im just trying. sometimes i succeed

aphphoto
448 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 22, 2013 17:20 |  #12

Ltdave wrote in post #15957423 (external link)
either youre being sarcastic or you completely snowed...

long rant about security theater anyone? :rolleyes:

There was a couple of guys on "Shark Tank" last week trying to sell the sharks on luggage shipping starting at $39 door-to-door. lugless.com was their site.

who gives a rat crap how much gear you can list?

Shamir
508 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 22, 2013 20:57 |  #13

I only take my backpack and my laptop roller bag as carry on items. The roller case goes on the overhead bin and my camera backpack goes below the seat infront of me or between my feet and my seat.

Security on my country checked the backpack once when I was flying to USA. However, I fly every two months to the US and I've never had issues with my bags.

Shamir
My Website - Click Here (external link)

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

May 23, 2013 14:29 |  #14

I think I've flown on around 30 flights with my gear as carry-on, both domestic and international. The only time I've ever been hassled is when one of them wanted to run my external hard drive separately from the rest of my equipment. Everything else has been flawless. I always travel with my Pelican 1510, 2 bodies, 2 lenses, 1 flash, and the usual accessories (memory cards, some filters, some extra batteries, etc). Occasionally I'll bring an extra flash or two and remote triggers instead of strobes.

I don't typically travel with my tripod or strobes / vagabond setup, just because my kind of work tends to not require it and it's quite cumbersome.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

bjbsav
Goldmember
1,283 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

May 23, 2013 15:00 |  #15

I travel often and I do like most have said pre-ship or rent equipment at the site. Another option is to buy some new stuff in that location and you will have to only ship it home :-)

My name is Ben from Savannah, GA
Canon cameras and glass
Facebook - Brengman Photography (external link) My Website (external link)

sponsored links

2,053 views & 0 likes for this thread
Airport security and your gear?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.