Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 23 May 2013 (Thursday) 13:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Stick with older version of PS

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 23, 2013 13:39 |  #1

If I choose to stick with CS5 and purchase a new camera whose CS5's RAW doesn't support, is there a way to force CS5 raw to accept the new camera profile so I can keep using CS5?

sponsored links
Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

May 23, 2013 13:41 |  #2

Nope.

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,939 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 23, 2013 14:11 |  #3

Yes, use the free DNG converter and convert them to DNG.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 23, 2013 14:29 |  #4

D Thompson wrote in post #15960401 (external link)
Yes, use the free DNG converter and convert them to DNG.

So DNG will open the raw files? Where does that reside? Never used that before....

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

May 23, 2013 14:32 |  #5

use the software from your camera or use Lightroom, which for now will remain being a box product sold by itself with perpetual license. And sure to be upgraded to what ever new cameras there will be.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,491 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 23, 2013 14:37 |  #6

DNG is a file format with the extension *.dng. It is an alternate container for the Raw data, so you still have a Raw file which retains all the latitude and flexibility of a CR2, but it can be opened by older versions of ACR and LR (and some other third party applications) even if they do not directly support the camera model. In order to do the conversion you need to download and install the free DNG Converter available from Adobe.

Elie / אלי

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Joined May 2009

May 23, 2013 14:57 |  #7

How much longer will DNG converter be free and available without subscription?

I don't think I'd be willing to trust adobe with the longevity of my source files. I'll stick with archiving the camera own RAW files - at least I know Canon will support it in the future. adobe, I wouldn't trust the any farther than I can throw em.

If you do convert them, be sure to save the original RAW files!

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,210 posts
Gallery: 277 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

May 23, 2013 15:10 |  #8

You can use lightroom to act live ACR and export to your existing PS as a Tiff.

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,939 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 23, 2013 16:29 |  #9

Shooting wrote in post #15960483 (external link)
So DNG will open the raw files? Where does that reside? Never used that before....

You need to convert the RAW files to DNG and then the DNG's can be opened in ACR.

PC - http://www.adobe.com …ads/detail.jsp?​ftpID=5569 (external link)
Mac - http://www.adobe.com …ads/detail.jsp?​ftpID=5568 (external link)

Make sure to read - http://www.adobe.com …_7.4_Converter_​ReadMe.pdf (external link)

I would still keep the original CR2 files. There may come a time that Adobe no longer updates the converter or offers it for free and you have to come up with another method. Hope this helps.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,491 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 23, 2013 17:25 |  #10

Todd Lambert wrote in post #15960593 (external link)
How much longer will DNG converter be free and available without subscription?

I don't think I'd be willing to trust adobe with the longevity of my source files. I'll stick with archiving the camera own RAW files - at least I know Canon will support it in the future. adobe, I wouldn't trust the any farther than I can throw em.

If you do convert them, be sure to save the original RAW files!

This is really hilarious. Not so very long ago lots of people were saying, "I wouldn't trust Canon to not stop supporting old cameras." I presume you are aware that dng is an open and fully published code and has been submitted to the international body that governs the standardization of computer formats for recognition as a standard format. Exactly the opposite is true of CR2, nef, arw, etc.

Anybody whose images have value to him backs them up. There is no reason why the working files and the archived backup files cannot be in different formats.

Elie / אלי

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Joined May 2009

May 23, 2013 17:30 |  #11

tzalman wrote in post #15961087 (external link)
This is really hilarious. Not so very long ago lots of people were saying, "I wouldn't trust Canon to not stop supporting old cameras." I presume you are aware that dng is an open and fully published code and has been submitted to the international body that governs the standardization of computer formats for recognition as a standard format. Exactly the opposite is true of CR2, nef, arw, etc.

Anybody whose images have value to him backs them up. There is no reason why the working files and the archived backup files cannot be in different formats.

Who wants to keep two versions? Not me. I trust Canon a lot more than I trust Adobe. And it's been proposed as a standard, but it's still wholly in the Adobe camp as it sits today.

agb
160 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 23, 2013 17:45 |  #12

Shooting wrote in post #15960303 (external link)
If I choose to stick with CS5 and purchase a new camera whose CS5's RAW doesn't support, is there a way to force CS5 raw to accept the new camera profile so I can keep using CS5?

You could of course use your camera raw converter, DPP for canon,convert to a tiff and then open the tiff file in ACR,or straight into Photoshop.Set the Camera raw preferences in photoshop to open tiff and jpeg. Or use on of the other raw converters, DXO, Capture, raw thereapee.

dalto
758 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 23, 2013 19:18 |  #13

Todd Lambert wrote in post #15961105 (external link)
Who wants to keep two versions? Not me. I trust Canon a lot more than I trust Adobe. And it's been proposed as a standard, but it's still wholly in the Adobe camp as it sits today.

For the record, I am not an Adobe fan right now as I have stated in detail in other places.

That being said, the fact that the DNG standard is public makes me believe that if Adobe ever dropped support for it someone else would pick it up.

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Joined May 2009

May 23, 2013 19:32 |  #14

dalto wrote in post #15961399 (external link)
For the record, I am not an Adobe fan right now as I have stated in detail in other places.

That being said, the fact that the DNG standard is public makes me believe that if Adobe ever dropped support for it someone else would pick it up.

Yeah, I hear ya. I just don't want to put my eggs in that basket. Canon will be around longer than Adobe will (in my opinion) so for now, I am keeping everything in their own native format. If the day ever comes that I feel differently, then I will convert things then. I just don't want to do that now... and then hope nothing happens with the format or hope that somebody else picks it up, etc...

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,491 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 24, 2013 03:18 |  #15

I feel your pain and understand your anger. In the future it will cost you more to acquire new features in PS or possibly to install it on some future computer. Nevertheless, observing the hysteria, false conclusions and either intentional or unintentional dissemination of misinformation across the internet, I have been amazed and repelled. I am afraid, Todd, that your one word answer, "Nope", falls into the last category, considering the OP's question about whether there exists a method of making Raws from an unsupported camera compatible with ACR. Abode has stated unequivocally that Lightroom will not be a cloud-only product in the foreseeable future. I have not seen a similar statement specifically regarding the DNG Converter, but I think it is considerably more reasonable to assume that the same policy refers to it. You may not trust Adobe, but surely the proper answer to the OP would have recognized that the converter is today available, is likely to remain so, and should the day ever come when it is no longer a free or at least a cheap download, that will be the time to look for and consider alternatives. The philosopher David Hume pointed out that there is no logical certainty that the sun will rise tomorrow morning, yet we continue to live our lives based on that assumption. The sun, of course, has no compulsion or even desire to maximize the bottom line and corporate marketing policies are not set in stone. Nevertheless, the responsible attitude regarding advise given to others would be to temper anger with realism.

so for now, I am keeping everything in their own native format. If the day ever comes that I feel differently, then I will convert things then.

So presumably you are presently working with a version of PSCS that is compatible with your camera and computer, using other third party software, using DPP (for me personally an unacceptable alternative), or shooting jpgs. You are not faced with the situation described by the OP - one in which opening a CR2 in the software he has available is not possible - so your declaration of what you personally intend to do is irrelevant and hardly rises above the level of a baseless rant.

Elie / אלי

sponsored links

3,526 views & 0 likes for this thread
Stick with older version of PS
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.