Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 May 2013 (Thursday) 13:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can't focus properly through the viewfinder on my T3

skyh
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined May 2013

May 23, 2013 13:00 |  #1

I've had my T3 for almost 2 years and last year, I sent it to Canon to get some part cleaned (something got into the camera while I was changing lenses). When I got it back, I noticed that it was hard to focus when looking through the viewfinder. Objects I want to focus on get less blurry than the rest of the view, but are never in sharp, clear focus, like it's supposed to be, although the images turn out the way I want them to when I review them. It doesn't matter which lens I use or if it's AF or MF. Looking through the live view, however, is perfectly fine. Would this be possible to correct without sending it back to the shop (since the problem only started when I got my camera back from them)?

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

May 23, 2013 13:04 |  #2

Canon probably tweaked your VF Diopter...

Small wheel, next to viewfinder? Take off your lens, point the camera at a blank wall and re-adjust the diopter until the VF symbology is sharp.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Rafromak
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 23, 2013 14:56 |  #3

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #15960177 (external link)
Canon probably tweaked your VF Diopter...

Small wheel, next to viewfinder? Take off your lens, point the camera at a blank wall and re-adjust the diopter until the VF symbology is sharp.

bw!

Good one. There is a thread about checking your camera's diopter

7D, 5DII

bclark22
47 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 23, 2013 14:57 |  #4

I second the Dioptics adjustment. Should be a small wheel around the vicinity of the viewfinder. Adjust this and it should be fine.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,725 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 23, 2013 15:05 |  #5

What jay said. If your uncomfortable having your lens off for any length of time as you adjust, just unfocus it as much as possible.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,934 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2007

May 23, 2013 15:57 as a reply to  @ gjl711's post |  #6

Since you adjust the diopter whilst looking at the viewfinder information, not the image shown in the viewfinder, it doesn't matter if you have the lens focused or not. Neither do you need to remove it from the camera.

Anders

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,525 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 23, 2013 16:03 |  #7

apersson850 wrote in post #15960821 (external link)
Since you adjust the diopter whilst looking at the viewfinder information, not the image shown in the viewfinder, it doesn't matter if you have the lens focused or not. Neither do you need to remove it from the camera.

Actually it works best to do the adjustment with the lens cap on...

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,725 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 23, 2013 16:33 |  #8

apersson850 wrote in post #15960821 (external link)

Though you are right, it does not need to be removed or OOF, it is much easier and more accurate to do so when all the background image goes totally blurry.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

May 23, 2013 16:36 |  #9

MakisM1 wrote in post #15960844 (external link)

Actually, my viewfinder markings are all black so that's a problem... ;)

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Rafromak
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 23, 2013 16:55 |  #10

MakisM1 wrote in post #15960844 (external link)

I just point the camera toward a white board or wall, and then adjust the diopter. This way I can see as the focus points on the viewfinder turn darker or sharper. It's the same as adjusting a riflescope. In this case the crosshairs turn from a lighter or fuzzier color to solid black at the sharpest point.

7D, 5DII

YARDBURNER
116 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 23, 2013 19:13 as a reply to  @ Rafromak's post |  #11

I just wish the diopter wheel were a little harder to move
or there was a way to lock it once set. (save the super glue jokes:cool:)
It seems get bumped a lot

Tiberius
Goldmember
2,544 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 23, 2013 19:51 |  #12

YARDBURNER wrote in post #15961388 (external link)
I just wish the diopter wheel were a little harder to move
or there was a way to lock it once set. (save the super glue jokes:cool:)
It seems get bumped a lot

I tried to come up with a joke that didn't involve superglue, but I got stuck.

My photography website!PHOCAL PHOTOGRAPHY (external link)

Rafromak
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 24, 2013 01:22 |  #13

If anything I would place a small section of black electrical tape over the adjuster wheel. But it's not really a big problem as long as you are aware of it. The adjuster wheel is very tight on my 7D, but a little loose on my 5DII, so I double-check the latter one every now and then just to make sure.

7D, 5DII

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,934 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2007

May 24, 2013 01:40 |  #14

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #15960931 (external link)
Actually, my viewfinder markings are all black so that's a problem... ;)

Not the green digits and icons at the bottom. You just need to keep the shutter button halfpressed every so often.

Actually I like that the diopter is easy to adjust. I use glasses on a regular basis, but I also equip my camera with a dioptric adjustment lens on the eyepiece. When having that mounted, I can cranck the adjustment in the opposite direction, to counter the effect, and then I see fine with my glasses on. When I take my glasses off, I crank the adjustment in the other direction and see fine without glasses too.
I like this, because if I'm trying to capture sports pictures on a rainy day, my glasses and eyepice easily fogs up. Removing the glasses takes away two surfaces where the fog may build up.

A typical rainy day

IMAGE: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-xH-jbMmRFxo/SOkcyj6P50I/AAAAAAAABuo/Uye2HEM5n64/s640/IMG_0169.JPG

Anders

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,140 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

May 24, 2013 03:24 as a reply to  @ apersson850's post |  #15

Lol what kind of fool doesn't know to check the diopter..... oh that would be me.
Knocked it off focus on a couple of occasions and spent several minutes trying to get my lenses to focus.

As if that wasn't embarrassing enough I then tried to use my camera with my reading glasses. Couldn't see anything so thought "Ha wont catch me again it isn't my lenses by the Dioptic" and, of course, wasted several minutes trying to get the dioptic to compensate for my awful eyesight (well outside its limited range) before realising my mistake :(

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

sponsored links

4,729 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can't focus properly through the viewfinder on my T3
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.