Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 30 May 2009 (Saturday) 14:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

May 22, 2013 20:13 |  #2716
bannedPermanent ban

No, it's not: CPL = circular polariser. It's not good practice to use linear polarisers with digital, although in this case there's no auto focusing that the linear polarisation would mess up.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

sponsored links
Arob1000
836 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2012

May 22, 2013 20:17 |  #2717

4g63photo wrote in post #15958171 (external link)
The 4x4 cpl is linear right? From what I understand you can rotate it like a regular circular polarizer?

It is circular not linear and yes you can rotate it like a regular circular polarizer. Where you start having issues is if you are using a GND, that's why they offer the 105mm CPL's that rotate independently than the other filters, they are pricey though and by turning the 4x4 CPL in 90 degree increments you can usually get the effect you are looking for.

Website (external link) :cool:500px (external link) :cool: Flickr (external link) :cool: Facebook (external link) :cool:Blog (external link):cool:

mikelino
47 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 23, 2013 03:42 |  #2718

Las Médulas (As Médulas or As Meduas in Galician language) is a historical site near the town of Ponferrada in the region of El Bierzo (province of León, Castile and León, Spain), which used to be the most important gold mine in the Roman Empire. Las Médulas Cultural Landscape is listed by the UNESCO as one of the World Heritage Sites.

The spectacular landscape of Las Médulas resulted from the ruina montium, a Roman mining technique described by Pliny the Elder in 77 AD. The technique employed was a type of hydraulic mining which involved undermining a mountain with large quantities of water. The water was supplied by interbasin transfer. At least seven long aqueducts tapped the streams of the La Cabrera district (where the rainfall in the mountains is relatively high) at a range of altitudes. The same aqueducts were used to wash the extensive gold deposits.

Pliny also stated that 20,000 Roman pounds of gold were extracted each year.[3] The exploitation, involving 60,000 free workers, brought 5,000,000 Roman pounds (1,650,000 kg) in 250 years. (wikipedia)

http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Las_M%C3%A9dula​s (external link)

This place is amazing!!

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5345/8794886434_67ddfbdc55_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/31980029@N08/8​794886434/  (external link)
Las Médulas (external link) por Miguel A. GQ (external link), en Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/31980029@N08/ (external link)

*Jayrou
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

May 23, 2013 07:01 as a reply to  @ mikelino's post |  #2719

Anyone had trouble changing the shift knob for the larger one?

The manual say just unscrew the small screw (as in just the screw comes loose) but mine unscrews the small knobs metal insert, which the screws fix into.

Am I missing something?

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

ElectronGuru
427 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 23, 2013 10:09 as a reply to  @ Alveric's post |  #2720

This thread has ruined me. It's so hard to look at other lens' shots and not go 'man, that would so much better with the 24 T/S. Today's example (from a thread with many spectacular shots, done with a lens I own):

https://photography-on-the.net …p=12550592&post​count=2477

"Light is the paint, lenses are brush, sensors are the canvas"
6D | 100L Macro | 50L | 24L TSE
Builder of custom flashlights, OVEREADY.com (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

May 23, 2013 11:30 |  #2721
bannedPermanent ban

*Jayrou wrote in post #15959320 (external link)

The manual say just unscrew the small screw (as in just the screw comes loose) but mine unscrews the small knobs metal insert, which the screws fix into.

Am I missing something?

That's weird; the only thing that should come off is the small screw. :confused:

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Luta13
185 posts
Joined Mar 2013

May 23, 2013 18:28 |  #2722

*Jayrou wrote in post #15959320 (external link)

Am I missing something?

I just did this today. Did you unscrew the Shift knobs center screw and not the Tilt knob? The little center screw of the shift know comes out and you slip the larger knob sleeve over the existing knob and then insert the provided larger screw. Save the other smaller screw and store in box. Done.

- Mike -
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/luta_foto/ (external link)

Arob1000
836 posts
Joined May 2012

May 23, 2013 18:37 |  #2723

ElectronGuru wrote in post #15959718 (external link)
This thread has ruined me. It's so hard to look at other lens' shots and not go 'man, that would so much better with the 24 T/S. Today's example (from a thread with many spectacular shots, done with a lens I own):

https://photography-on-the.net …p=12550592&post​count=2477

Just bite the bullet and get one for yourself! I took a similar shot with a Sigma 35 and the TS-E 24 II and while both are great, the TS-E24 is noticeably sharper at 1:1. Having the shift function is great too, photoshop loves stitching together pics/you don't loose any of your frame from geometric distortion.

Website (external link) :cool:500px (external link) :cool: Flickr (external link) :cool: Facebook (external link) :cool:Blog (external link):cool:

*Jayrou
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

May 24, 2013 02:13 |  #2724

Alveric wrote in post #15959925 (external link)
That's weird; the only thing that should come off is the small screw. :confused:

Urgh... mine isn't doing that...:(

Luta13 wrote in post #15961253 (external link)
I just did this today. Did you unscrew the Shift knobs center screw and not the Tilt knob? The little center screw of the shift know comes out and you slip the larger knob sleeve over the existing knob and then insert the provided larger screw. Save the other smaller screw and store in box. Done.

Yes , the shift knob , If i unscrew the screw , everything circled in the below image comes out, I tried to see if I could unscrew the screw from the the insert but its seems attached and meant to be there.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

ElectronGuru
427 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 25, 2013 02:04 |  #2725

Arob1000 wrote in post #15961278 (external link)
Just bite the bullet and get one for yourself!

Yeah, pretty well there, but having just dropped $4.5k on new gear, I need to sell some older gear first (see sig). This may even (gasp) replace my beloved 16-35, giving me a 3 lens, all prime lineup.

Arob1000 wrote in post #15961278 (external link)
Having the shift function is great too, photoshop loves stitching together pics/you don't loose any of your frame from geometric distortion.

Looking forward to trying that (especially if I can work out the L bracket left/right adjustment thing), but as a working lens (first), the high value job will be rather the reverse of what seems to be the popular 24 TSE uses. I want to create perspective distortion and increasing DOF, mostly on close/tiny subjects. For my uses, the MFD is a key feature on this lens!

"Light is the paint, lenses are brush, sensors are the canvas"
6D | 100L Macro | 50L | 24L TSE
Builder of custom flashlights, OVEREADY.com (external link)

ken2000ac
Goldmember
1,390 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 25, 2013 12:29 |  #2726

Can't help but bring it with me on beautiful days. My better half is guarding my Alhambra center frame.

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5460/8828042044_54c9be6478_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/ken2000ac/88280​42044/  (external link)
St. Andrew Square (external link) by kenny mccartney (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link)
5DSR | 5D II | 1N RS | TS-E 24L II | 85L II | 135L | 2X III

Arob1000
836 posts
Joined May 2012

May 25, 2013 16:47 |  #2727

ElectronGuru wrote in post #15965272 (external link)
Yeah, pretty well there, but having just dropped $4.5k on new gear, I need to sell some older gear first (see sig). This may even (gasp) replace my beloved 16-35, giving me a 3 lens, all prime lineup.

Looking forward to trying that (especially if I can work out the L bracket left/right adjustment thing), but as a working lens (first), the high value job will be rather the reverse of what seems to be the popular 24 TSE uses. I want to create perspective distortion and increasing DOF, mostly on close/tiny subjects. For my uses, the MFD is a key feature on this lens!

Very cool, I just sold my 17-40 and now have the Rokinon 14mm, TS-E 24mm, and Sigma 35 which I've been using for all my landscape needs, working great so far!

Luta13
185 posts
Joined Mar 2013

May 26, 2013 07:30 |  #2728

Just received my 24mm f/3.5L II Thursday. Haven't had a chance to really see it shine yet but I was able to get away just before sunset yesterday and take this. I used the tilt feature to try and keep foreground/background both in focus. I focused foreground and moved 10x liveview to background and tilted until buildings came in focus. I had a hard time keeping the entire building in background in focus. If I adjusted for the bottom of buildings to be in-focus the top would be soft and vice-versa. Not enough DOF I suppose. Had a good time though. Looking forward to continued learning with this great lens.

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3699/8835420041_545ba645cf_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/luta_foto/88354​20041/  (external link)
Biscayne Sunset (external link) by Luta13 (external link), on Flickr

- Mike -
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/luta_foto/ (external link)

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
13,120 posts
Gallery: 619 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

May 26, 2013 13:21 |  #2729

Drove up to Glencoe on Friday night for sunset as it had been a really nice day.

9 images (Shift left, centre, shift right) (-2EV, 0, +2EV) to create 3 panos which were blended in SNS-HDR.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

The Three Sisters, Glencoe, Scotland (external link) by xpfloyd (external link), on Flickr

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black
Loxia 21 | FE35
16-35 GM | Tamron 28-75

Candersson
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 26, 2013 14:55 as a reply to  @ xpfloyd's post |  #2730

^^ Beautiful result!!!!!

- Thomas -
1DX/1DIV/7D/5DmkII and Lenses | WWW (external link)
So much to learn, so little time...

sponsored links

1,505,909 views & 1,596 likes for this thread
Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.