Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 10 Oct 2011 (Monday) 02:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Phottix Odin, Wireless E-TTL that works!!!!

elv
Goldmember
1,488 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 24, 2013 01:16 |  #751

dwdallam wrote in post #15962108 (external link)
Elv

You can trigger the 580-EXII in manual "from the flash test button" without a pref lash. That's how you can use a light meter.

Yes but the test fire button on the Odin transmitter unfortunately doesn't fire the flashes at the set power level. Its just the one low pulse indicating the flash will fire. And the the groups fire separately one second after each other.

That's what I mentioned above, if they could at least update this test fire, you could then use a meter. The pre-flash when firing the shutter doesn't really mater.

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

sponsored links
dwdallam
126 posts
Joined Oct 2011

May 24, 2013 02:03 |  #752

I had the chance to test again today. I was going to post the results in a spread sheet, but they were 100% positive, with a few caveats.

First test was between 52', 65' and 110'

Flash: 2x 580EXII, 1x 600RT, all manual mode at 1/128th in 2nd curtain
Camera: 1DS MKIII manual mode 1sec @f7.1
The 600RT was in front of my car firing through the front window to the back window, and this is what I considered "obstructed."

10+ shutter releases. No misfires*

The second test was done at 110' with all flash guns in front of my car no more than 2' from each other.

10+ shutter releases, no misfires*

The last test was using 2 flash units, one 580EXII and one 600RT, both in ETTL 2nd curtain -3 EV

Test distance was 90' and 105'

Flash units were 17' a part and both were fully obstructed behind tree trunks.

Same number of shutter releases at varying exposure settings.

10 shutter releases from each distance.

No misfires.*

* There were misfires, but from what I can tell, they were due to uncharged units, the Odin TCU not talking correctly to the units, or a combination of both. The solution was to give the flash units plenty of recycle time and equally important, to give the Odin TCU enough time to talk with the flash units on each standby cycle.

Although the camera, flash units, and receivers are not in stand-by, the Odin TCU seems to go into stand-by mode in about 5 seconds. When the TCU is "active" it will have a solid green light on the front panel. When the TCU is in "stand-by" the green light blinks.

In order to avoid misfires, I had to hold the shutter release down long enough for the green light to stop blinking, and long enough for the TCU unit to talk to the flash units. The time took approximately 3-5 seconds after the green light became solid, then misfires were resolved. Alternately I could simply trigger the shutter and wait a few seconds and then start shooting.

In summary, I think Odin needs to increase the TCU stand-by time to at least 60 seconds. That would prevent the vast majority of misfire problems people may have.

dwdallam
126 posts
Joined Oct 2011

May 24, 2013 02:08 |  #753

elv wrote in post #15962145 (external link)
Yes but the test fire button on the Odin transmitter unfortunately doesn't fire the flashes at the set power level. Its just the one low pulse indicating the flash will fire. And the the groups fire separately one second after each other.

That's what I mentioned above, if they could at least update this test fire, you could then use a meter. The pre-flash when firing the shutter doesn't really mater.

Yep,

It would be nice if you could test fire from the TCU at the given manual power setting, w/o the ettl preflash.

BTW, the 600RT flash guns are really quality. They are the best built flash guns Canon have ever developed, in my opinion, although we can't see the quality of the internals. However, they are not worth upgrading from the 580EXII unless one needs the radio triggers. On the other hand, having all 600RTs would make a good backup system for the Odins. Problem: having an extra Odin TCU and 2x recievers is cheaper than one 600RT.

Stickman
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Nov 2006

May 24, 2013 20:53 |  #754

Looks like they got around to a 1Dx firmware update, has anyone tried it yet?

http://journal.phottix​.com …-firmware-v123-canon-1dx/ (external link)

Stick
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/stickgunner/ (external link)

SFtag
35 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 03, 2013 22:31 |  #755

I've read through a bunch of this thread and had a few questions, especially for people mixing monolights and speedlites.

Can you achieve HSS with both an Einstein and a 580/420 mk II at the same time on a 5D3?

I read earlier in the thread someone was able to get the Einstein to work up to 1/8000. Is that just a fluke for their setup or can you expect that on a 5D3?

I don't have the Odins or Einstein yet and was hoping someone could help me out here.

Thank you

Professional Camera Operator
Amateur Photographer

neilwinch
163 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 16, 2013 01:16 |  #756

Stickman wrote in post #15964736 (external link)
Looks like they got around to a 1Dx firmware update, has anyone tried it yet?

Nope. I stopped using the Odins with my 1DX and stuck with the 5DIII. I still might hold off on the firmware update until they're recommended for all bodies.

Neil Winch Photography
My Website (external link) | My Flickr (external link)

butterfly2937
Cream of the Crop
6,964 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 16, 2013 20:39 |  #757

SFtag wrote in post #15997102 (external link)
I've read through a bunch of this thread and had a few questions, especially for people mixing monolights and speedlites.

Can you achieve HSS with both an Einstein and a 580/420 mk II at the same time on a 5D3?

I read earlier in the thread someone was able to get the Einstein to work up to 1/8000. Is that just a fluke for their setup or can you expect that on a 5D3?

I don't have the Odins or Einstein yet and was hoping someone could help me out here.

Thank you

It will work just realize that that the Einstein has a short flash duration so you will loose allot of power. The triggers will fire in HSS strobes with a shorter flash duration like an AB 1600 will likely output a little more of a tail of light when the triggers are used in HSS.

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,203 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 01, 2013 12:14 |  #758

I see there is a new update.

http://journal.phottix​.com …irmware-update/#more-6421 (external link)

I'm confused as to what they say...Odin 1.5? Is that a newer Odin?

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,203 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 01, 2013 12:17 |  #759

of course I just now saw this on that page:

Update: There are two different versions of the Odin TTL Flash Trigger for Canon – the original Odin and Odin 1.5. How can you tell what you have? Look at the TCU and/or receiver – both will clearly say Odin 1.5 if they are Odin 1.5 units. Sorry for any confusion.

was there any differences between the two models?

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

elv
Goldmember
1,488 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 01, 2013 12:33 |  #760

PLLphotography wrote in post #16172830 (external link)
was there any differences between the two models?

The original Canon Odin didn't have the 1/3rd stops printed on the LCD screen.

I'm not sure if there are any other differences (apart from the 1.5 details printed on the back).

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,203 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 01, 2013 12:35 |  #761

ah, so my original, with the obscure +0.3, +0.7 etc. is not the new fancy one that actually shows +1/3, +2/3, etc?

I want a refund! :lol:

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,203 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 02, 2013 07:34 |  #762

I ran into an issue where my flash was flashing in full power. Also, zoom wasn't working.

I'm trying to see if I can revert back to v1.20 firmware.

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,203 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 02, 2013 07:58 |  #763

I reverted back to firmware 1.20, and my flash now fires at whatever power output I select....

but I still can't seem to get my zoom to work. I don't mess with that setting all that often, but it seems no matter what I set it to, I never hear the zoom head move, and I don't see it change on the flash lcd screen.

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,203 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 02, 2013 07:59 |  #764

bah...nevermind... just saw my flash had "m" next to zoom. remote zoom is working now. :oops:

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,203 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 02, 2013 15:56 |  #765

I was scared I thought I may have bricked my Odins from reverting to the previous firmware, but everything is working perfectly fine.

which makes me start to wonder...if my TCU dies, then I'm stuck buying another $300+ TCU. I've been debating on whether to sell off my Odin set and go to something like the Atlas IIs. at least those are tranceivers so if my transmitter on camera dies I can just switch it with another one.

anyone else end up going that route? (or other manual triggers). I know I would of course be losing wireless TTL, and group functionality, but I've never actually needed to use the group feature and rarely used the TTL feature...it was just nice to have IF I ever needed it.

sponsored links

180,543 views & 0 likes for this thread
Phottix Odin, Wireless E-TTL that works!!!!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.