Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 May 2013 (Wednesday) 14:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How does one get that soft misty image with a 7D

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,002 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

May 23, 2013 05:47 |  #16

Sharpness, like noise, most of the time is a photographer's OCD, and not a concern of a customer.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links
K-Liss
51 posts
Joined May 2013

May 23, 2013 07:41 |  #17

funny how yall still look on how to ........ get filter lens or use OnOne Perfect Photo Suit 7's Focus Tool!

Canon 50D with 17-85 USM IS lens & B+W 67mm F Pro Neutral Filter

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,865 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 23, 2013 08:06 |  #18

In Lightroom 5, you can download the beta, there is a new radial filter tool that lets you draw one of more circles or ovals on the image. You can them change characteristics (exposure, sharpness, clarity..etc.) either inside the selected...or....outsi​de the selected area.

I would suggest downloading the LR5 beta and plan on purchasing it when the product goes commercial later this year. I have it running alongside LR4. When LR5 is commercial, I will import all the LR4 catalogs.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

May 23, 2013 08:32 |  #19

artyman wrote in post #15959141 (external link)
Just breathe on the lens and shoot before the mist clears

Yeah, I've done that. Back in the days of film of course though.

Back then, you slapped on a soft focus filter (various strengths to choose from) or breathed on the lens, or even smeared vaseline on a UV filter. Any method would get you a nice soft look, but with detail still clearly in focus (such as loose hairs still being sharp) although too much vaseline could start to obscure detail of course.

Nowadays though, I would just shoot normally and apply a soft focus filter in PP. That way you get the best of both worlds, a normal "sharp" image and a soft image that you have much more control over, as you can play with it and adjust exactly to taste when editing.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
14,651 posts
Gallery: 231 photos
Joined Oct 2009

May 23, 2013 12:46 |  #20

artyman wrote in post #15959141 (external link)
Just breathe on the lens and shoot before the mist clears

...or spray a little hair spray on a cheap UV filter to give you a difused look.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

Submariner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

May 25, 2013 11:37 as a reply to  @ navydoc's post |  #21

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My attempt.

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

Submariner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

May 25, 2013 11:59 as a reply to  @ Submariner's post |  #22

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

This is the one from the professional photographer.
1/2,500 sec
F1.8
ISO 200
Maybe its just me but, I wouldn't like to pay for a whole set like this.
Interested in your views maybe its just me.

Mind you I m obsessive regarding sharpness and OK in my example before I softened it far too much for my taste but then if its what the bride wants? What the hell.

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,550 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 25, 2013 12:01 |  #23

In PS, take a sharp image and pull a circle or oval around the area you want sharp using the elliptical marquee tool. Feather the selection by about 400px (for a full size image) and then invert the selection (Select > Inverse). Hit Ctrl-J (or the Mac equivalent) to put the selection in its own layer, then add a 1px or 2 px Gaussian blur to that layer.

This also works well for subtle vignetting, except instead of the blur, you change the new layer's blend mode to Multiply and reduce opacity to taste.

And I agree, that shot looks like a P&S snapshot.

Mark J.
Gear

Rafromak
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 25, 2013 12:29 |  #24

Something else I forgot to mention: by default the "portrait" picture style's sharpness is a couple of notches lower than "landscapes," for example.

What I would do is to take a few experimental photos in the default portrait style, and try some of the suggestions told in this thread. In portrait the focus is already a tad soft. Then I would try some of the "film" effects found in NIK's Color Efex Pro.

Submariner's example looks quite good already relating to the soft and dreamy look, but the photo the OP posted above has been processed to achieve a movie or film look in relation to color.

7D, 5DII

Submariner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

May 25, 2013 12:52 as a reply to  @ Rafromak's post |  #25

Thanks for all the very useful suggestions.
However I would be very grateful for your comments on the what I call the bleached out 'Professionals' image of the girls around the fountain.
Basically need to know is this "the new modern way", or is it what I call crap. And therefore advise my sister to get someone else.

( NB I am well aware of my pretty 'stick in the mud' old-fashioned views, not being what kids want.)

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,550 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 25, 2013 13:03 |  #26

Don't look to me for advice on that. I hate that look, too. We spend all this research and time and money to get beyond the Polaroids and now everyone wants that look back. I don't get it.

Mark J.
Gear

Yogi ­ Bear
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 25, 2013 13:19 |  #27

Submariner wrote in post #15966275 (external link)
Thanks for all the very useful suggestions.
However I would be very grateful for your comments on the what I call the bleached out 'Professionals' image of the girls around the fountain.
Basically need to know is this "the new modern way", or is it what I call crap. And therefore advise my sister to get someone else.

( NB I am well aware of my pretty 'stick in the mud' old-fashioned views, not being what kids want.)

I agree that the posted image by the "pro" looks terrible! If you have any influence with your sister I sure hope that you can convince her to use someone else!

Stick to your values, Submariner!

Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS |
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM | 250D | EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 580 EX II |

Badger49456
417 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 25, 2013 13:33 |  #28

I think I must be missing something, but I don't see what's wrong with the photo at all? Besides being crooked and off-center. Just looks like a little over-exposure and desaturation to the photographer's/artist'​s/client's taste. Looks pretty sharp to me, certainly neither soft nor misty. Maybe you can post another example?

flickr (external link)

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,836 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 25, 2013 13:39 |  #29

Submariner wrote in post #15957305 (external link)
Hi

I showed my sister my photos and she said " Oh they are great, razor sharp, so rich, and the colours look lovely" "but that is not the look she wants - she wants really soft, dreamy pictures.! "

So how does one take these soft dreamy pictures, but still have them in focus. Is it something like a smokey filter one uses?

So any ideas?

There is something called the Orton Effect that might be what you want. it's built into Elements and I'd assume the other Adobe editing software, I fooled around with it a bit on some flower photos, it only seemed to work well on some of my photos, and has to be applied subtly, that is, there is a slider and you barely tweak that thing and you get noticeable changes.

Flickr (external link)

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

May 25, 2013 15:16 |  #30

Badger49456 wrote in post #15966379 (external link)
I think I must be missing something, but I don't see what's wrong with the photo at all? Besides being crooked and off-center. Just looks like a little over-exposure and desaturation to the photographer's/artist'​s/client's taste. Looks pretty sharp to me, certainly neither soft nor misty. Maybe you can post another example?

Where do I start:
In focus Leafless trees make an awful background
Blown out areas on hair and shoulders.
Skin tone looks wrong not artistic
No depth of field control.
Tilted for no good reason
I could go on, but In general looks like it was taken with an iPhone.

Richard
Gear

sponsored links

6,868 views & 0 likes for this thread
How does one get that soft misty image with a 7D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.