Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 May 2013 (Monday) 14:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Manual Focus Lenses on 7D - Adapter/Screen etc help!

segedi
47 posts
Joined Feb 2013

May 27, 2013 14:52 |  #1

I have a Canon 7D and the 24-105mm and 70-200mm zooms, but both are f4. I'd like to mount 28 and 50mm lenses from an old Nikon F2 for low light work.

Would FD lenses work just as well?

Any issues with the mirror not clearing the mount?

Best adapter? Do the AF confirm adapters work well?

Best focus screen replacement to use with both AF and MF lenses?

Thanks!

---------------
Segedi.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,653 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

May 27, 2013 15:30 |  #2

This thread should answer all of your questions. https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=644277

As for the AF confirm adapters; many people have differing opinions on these, but I swear by them. As long as you get a decent quality adapter (only $10-30 depending on brand and type) they work wonderfully.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

segedi
THREAD ­ STARTER
47 posts
Joined Feb 2013

May 27, 2013 17:09 |  #3

Wow, lots of info there. Thanks!

What brand adapter do you use?

---------------
Flickr (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,653 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

May 27, 2013 17:48 |  #4

It depends on the lens mount. For C/Y mounts I like the $30 Fotodiox chipped adapters, for M42 mount lenses I like the EzFoto chipped adapters ($12 on Amazon) and for my K-mount lens I use a generic chipped adapter from Amazon (cost me $8), all work perfectly. The only adapters I've had trouble with and would avoid are the ones from Rainbow Imaging.

As for screens; I have an EG-S precision Matte screen in my 6D and love it, but it does make the VF a bit darker when using an f/4 or slower lens like the 24-105L.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

segedi
THREAD ­ STARTER
47 posts
Joined Feb 2013

May 27, 2013 20:36 |  #5

Thanks again!

---------------
Flickr (external link)

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,464 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 27, 2013 20:41 as a reply to  @ segedi's post |  #6

7D screen is non-swappable, I believe.

Mark J.
Gear

Rafromak
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 27, 2013 21:43 |  #7

I have a Nikon 50mm f/1.4 Ai-S lens mounted on a Fiotodiox adapter, "Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter. NIKON to Canon EOS V.2 w/AF Chip." It works perfectly on my 5DII, but I haven't tried it on the 7D. Bought it from Amazon for $29.00.

Before you buy, go to the Fotodiox website and look at the adapters for Nikon FD lenses to Canon cameras. It's up to you to pay more at Fotodiox, or to order the right model from Amazon :)

7D, 5DII

segedi
THREAD ­ STARTER
47 posts
Joined Feb 2013

May 28, 2013 10:35 |  #8

M_Six wrote in post #15973753 (external link)
7D screen is non-swappable, I believe.

It's not as easily swapped as a 50D screen, but it's a matter of two screws so not that hard to do.

---------------
Flickr (external link)

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,464 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 28, 2013 10:36 |  #9

segedi wrote in post #15975394 (external link)
It's not as easily swapped as a 50D screen, but it's a matter of two screws so not that hard to do.

Do the projected grid lines and focus points still work with a different focus screen?

Mark J.
Gear

segedi
THREAD ­ STARTER
47 posts
Joined Feb 2013

May 28, 2013 10:41 |  #10

That's a very good question. Not sure.

---------------
Flickr (external link)

Scapevision
Goldmember
1,118 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 28, 2013 12:29 |  #11

M_Six wrote in post #15975400 (external link)
Do the projected grid lines and focus points still work with a different focus screen?

Yes they do, everything works as with stock screen. I use a focusingscreen.com screen with microprisms. Switching was a matter of unscrewing 2 small screws.

scapevision.carbonmade​.com (external link) and on Flickr (external link)
"Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light. I just take pictures"

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,464 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 28, 2013 12:51 |  #12

Scapevision wrote in post #15975837 (external link)
Yes they do, everything works as with stock screen. I use a focusingscreen.com screen with microprisms. Switching was a matter of unscrewing 2 small screws.

Cool. I used to use a Katzeye in my T1i, but I found it didn't really work well. Swapping was a pain, though. I got lots of dust in my viewfinder because it took me so long to get the original screen back in. Mostly it was due to my inability to see such small things clearly and my fumble fingerness. The 6D screen is way easier to swap out.

Mark J.
Gear

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 28, 2013 13:14 |  #13

Scapevision wrote in post #15975837 (external link)

Well, not everything will still work...

If you go to a focus screen with a split image center spot (which is what you'll want for manual focus with larger aperture, shorter focal length lenses), your 7D's Spot metering will no longer be accurate. It might effect Evaluative metering, too, if and when the center AF point is the selected or primary active point.

Most manual focus cameras had both the split image center spot and a "donut" of microdiaprisms around it. The center spot, as mentioned above, works best with shorter focal lengths and larger aperture lenses. The microdiaprisms work best with longer focal lengths and smaller apertures, where the split image is difficult or impossible to use.

If you don't already have them, I wouldn't recommend buying Canon FD lenses with plans to convert them. It is possible, and some FD lenses are great, but they are tricky to convert and only certain lenses can be used fully (many lose infinity focus, unless you use an optical adapter that costs a lot of image quality).

Instead I'd suggest you choose among Nikkor F mount, Oly, Pentax, Contax/Yashica, M42 and a host of other vintage, manual focus lenses that are very easily adapted for use on modern Canon cameras. See Bob Atkin's website (external link) for a lot more info about this.

I can't personally recommend one brand or another of adapter. I don't have a whole lot of conversions, but do always use the chipped type, since they give me Focus Confirmation and I usually just buy generic off eBay or Amazon. I also have several modern manual focus lenses (tilt-shift, for example), but I do not find it necessary to change out my camera's focus screens. Focus Confirmation, a magnifying angle finder and the rear LCD on the camera are all adequate focus assists for my purposes.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

segedi
THREAD ­ STARTER
47 posts
Joined Feb 2013

May 28, 2013 13:36 |  #14

Thanks for all the info. I think I'll take it step by step. I have a near mint 50mm Nikon f/1.4 and will adapt that first. Then see if a new screen is even needed. Since I plan to shoot video with it 80% of the time, I'll just magnify the live view to start and not mess with a focus screen just yet.

---------------
Flickr (external link)

Yogi ­ Bear
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 28, 2013 15:02 |  #15

segedi wrote in post #15976123 (external link)
Thanks for all the info. I think I'll take it step by step. I have a near mint 50mm Nikon f/1.4 and will adapt that first. Then see if a new screen is even needed. Since I plan to shoot video with it 80% of the time, I'll just magnify the live view to start and not mess with a focus screen just yet.

You should look at Magic Lantern. It has focus peaking and is ideal for video MF.

Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS |
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM | 250D | EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 580 EX II |

sponsored links

2,961 views & 0 likes for this thread
Manual Focus Lenses on 7D - Adapter/Screen etc help!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.