Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 26 May 2013 (Sunday) 16:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tripods Again

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 27, 2013 14:25 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

ed rader wrote in post #15972261 (external link)
and yet I did something similar too. I think in the beginning the worth of a good tripod isn't realized and many may never use a tripod enough to justify spending more than a grand on legs, ballheads and plates.

I think you can get a good tripod and ballhead for $250 or so, and that may be all that most need.

Yep, my first Manfrotto with head cost me $200 and it lasted me 20 years. In fact still have it and use it for my medium format film camera. Got myself a lighter CF tripod for trekking, but other than the weight, the Manfrotto is a beast of a tripod.

You DO NOT need to spend $500 -$1,000 on a tripod. It's like anything, the higher priced items ( tripods ) provide marginal improvements over the middle priced items. There are huge deminishing returns on expensive equipment including tripods.

sponsored links
Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,828 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

May 27, 2013 17:14 |  #17

I've just concluded my own scenic tripod selection journey. I now have some Kirk plates along with a one piece Kirk L bracket for my 60D with grip because RRS doesn't make one. I also just bought a RRS tripod, head and leveling base combination. It cost a bit more than I paid for my 70-300L lens but it sure is nice. ;)

The double shock is, I'm shocked at what I was willing to pay... and also shocked at how much easier to use and more stable the RRS is than my Giottos legs and Manfrotto head (and the Manfrotto head is actually pretty nice... the 468 MG with a Kirk quick release plate installed).

I'm an old guy and I use a tripod a lot....now, I can even enjoy the experience.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,029 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

May 27, 2013 17:22 |  #18

Phoenixkh wrote in post #15973163 (external link)
I've just concluded my own scenic tripod selection journey. I now have some Kirk plates along with a one piece Kirk L bracket for my 60D with grip because RRS doesn't make one. I also just bought a RRS tripod, head and leveling base combination. It cost a bit more than I paid for my 70-300L lens but it sure is nice. ;)

The double shock is, I'm shocked at what I was willing to pay... and also shocked at how much easier to use and more stable the RRS is than my Giottos legs and Manfrotto head (and the Manfrotto head is actually pretty nice... the 468 MG with a Kirk quick release plate installed).

I'm an old guy and I use a tripod a lot....now, I can even enjoy the experience.

which RRS QR are you using? the flip lock might be a problem with a kirk plate, fyi.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff, sirui

TejasPOWER
64 posts
Joined Jun 2012

May 27, 2013 17:33 |  #19

I really like my Monfrotto 190cxPRO4 (carbon fiber legs)... I did think long and hard about a swiss. My previous pod is a hand-me-down from long long ago (aluminum legs) and bought at Sears (that thing shook and vibrated with just a slight breeze. My new 190 does not shake or vibrate (that I can tell).
I am still learning / practicing on using my 35; so I just could not justify it to myself to spend the money for something that great that I would not use a whole bunch. May be one day I will get a killer pod.

But until then, I am very happy with my 190CXPRO4.

Canon T3i | Luma CINCH | Motorsport fan -BMW, TOYOTA & MINI | BMWCCA (external link) | TTORA (external link)
Always looking to learn and to be better than before.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,828 posts
Joined May 2011

May 27, 2013 18:14 |  #20

ed rader wrote in post #15973183 (external link)
which RRS QR are you using? the flip lock might be a problem with a kirk plate, fyi.

Ed,

I bought the B2-Pro II.... no problems at all. I had just upgraded everything to Kirk plates, etc... and I have lots of stuff, you know, flash rotator, focusing rails, etc. so I bought the screw type quick release clamp. Had RRS offered a one piece L bracket for my 60D and grip, I'm sure I would have got everything from them. Kirk has great stuff and is about the same price as RRS so it was a great option.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

ed ­ rader
23,029 posts
Joined May 2005

May 27, 2013 20:11 |  #21

Phoenixkh wrote in post #15973299 (external link)
Ed,

I bought the B2-Pro II.... no problems at all. I had just upgraded everything to Kirk plates, etc... and I have lots of stuff, you know, flash rotator, focusing rails, etc. so I bought the screw type quick release clamp. Had RRS offered a one piece L bracket for my 60D and grip, I'm sure I would have got everything from them. Kirk has great stuff and is about the same price as RRS so it was a great option.

oh good. I use the RRS quick lever and it forces me to use RRS and wemberly (sp) plates. the markins flip lever can be adjusted to be used with other plates.

I wanted to use a markins plate on my 5d3 because they are tiny but it slips right out of my RRS QR. I also wanted to buy a cheap universal L plate but it would have the same problem.

one day I might switch to the markins QRs, which weren't available when I bought the RRS QRs.

5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff, sirui

ed ­ rader
23,029 posts
Joined May 2005

May 27, 2013 20:15 |  #22

TejasPOWER wrote in post #15973218 (external link)
I really like my Monfrotto 190cxPRO4 (carbon fiber legs)... I did think long and hard about a swiss. My previous pod is a hand-me-down from long long ago (aluminum legs) and bought at Sears (that thing shook and vibrated with just a slight breeze. My new 190 does not shake or vibrate (that I can tell).
I am still learning / practicing on using my 35; so I just could not justify it to myself to spend the money for something that great that I would not use a whole bunch. May be one day I will get a killer pod.

But until then, I am very happy with my 190CXPRO4.

I had the bigger manfrotto carbon. the two things I did not like about it was it was heavy and the legs did not drop down with gravity like aluminum legs. but it was a very sturdy tripod and that is important.

ed ­ rader
23,029 posts
Joined May 2005

May 27, 2013 20:24 |  #23

Domino1999 wrote in post #15971147 (external link)
I've seen this remark about Manfrotto ball heads before, people saying they don't lock solidly and droop a bit after lock and plenty of people saying to buy an Arca Swiss compatible head. However, they never recommend any specific alternative models, within the same price range as the Manfrotto heads. What do you recommend?

this manfrotto ballhead should be very good.

http://www.ebay.com …ain_0&hash=item​5d392af6da (external link)

sorry I don't know much about the cheap arca swiss ballheads, though you could have bought my markins Q3 for about $150 earlier this year (price it went for on ebay) when I upgraded to the Q10.

georgebowman
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined May 2009

May 27, 2013 22:22 |  #24

I may as well put in my two-cents worth here. I have a 35+ year old Bogen tripod I bought back when I was shooting medium format film cameras in the late 70s through the 90s. It's heavy but it's rock solid. You still can't beat the Manfrotto (Bogen) tripods. I replaced the head with Flashpoint F-3 Magnesium Alloy Tripod Ball Head with Quick Release Plate last year and I love it. It costs less than $100 and it suppose to supports up to 17.6 lbs. I've only used my 50D and my 70-200 f4L lens on it but it really holds well even when it's rotated. I'm sure it's not the best tripod head on the market but it seems to be holding up well so far. This might be a good alternative to the more expensive models mentioned previously. My advice is spend your money on good legs (Manfrotto) and go to a less expensive ball head like the Flashpoint F-3. The ball head can be replaced in the future if the need arises. Good legs can last a lifetime if they are properly cared for.

My Gear: 7d, XTi, 17-55f2.8 EF-S, 70-200f4L, 28-135 Kit lens, 2-580EXii

pdrober2
Goldmember
2,318 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 28, 2013 06:58 |  #25

newfotomd wrote in post #15969707 (external link)
I have been looking into different tripods right now and through the threads here, but I still do not know what I should really be looking for. With my current heaviest possible setup (7D, 70-200 2.8 IS, 600ex-rt), what tripod out there for around $100-$150 would any of you suggest? I've been told to gear more towards Manfrotto, but a lot of the carbon fiber that I saw was well above my price range. Any suggestions at all would be of great help. My main realm of shooting right now for a tripod is outdoors with portraits and wildlife. For sports I don't bother with a monopod, and hand shoot. Thank you to anyone in advance!

i would recommend saving up some more $$$ and extend the budget. I bought the manfrotto 055xprob and 498rc2 for ~$200. it worked great while i was using a rebel body and shorter lenses. as soon as i went up to a bigger body and longer lenses, it started dropping, and frankly I lost my confidence in the QR system. I recently upgraded the legs and head, after saving for a while. i love my rig now and i wont need another one for years and years.

i'm just a hobbyist, so throwing a ton of money into support felt wrong, but it is the only way to get a setup that meets my needs/wants.

i would also recommend you buy used to save some moeny. here, FM and ebay usually have good deals pop up hear and there.

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23 | 27 | 56 | 90 | 55-200
Feedback

peter_n
Goldmember
2,424 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 28, 2013 08:27 |  #26

ed rader wrote in post #15973636 (external link)
oh good. I use the RRS quick lever and it forces me to use RRS and wemberly (sp) plates. the markins flip lever can be adjusted to be used with other plates.

The current RRS B2 LR II lever release clamp (external link) now auto-adjusts to many non-RRS/Wimberley plates. I've used mine with Benro, Clearsight, ProMediaGear, SunwayFoto, RRS & Wimberley plates and they all work fine in the clamp.

~Peter

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,828 posts
Joined May 2011

May 28, 2013 08:38 |  #27

Peter,

I did notice RRS had made version II auto adjustable but not until after I had ordered the screw type clamp. It doesn't take much time to operate the screw clamp, truth be told. It's smooth and a few dollars less expensive, though cost wasn't a factor in my choice.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,424 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 28, 2013 09:06 |  #28

To be honest I prefer the screw clamps myself. I bought the RRS lever clamp to try and I'm keeping it but I certainly don't think (as many here apparently do) that it's the best thing since sliced bread. I would never have bought one if they hadn't updated some of their clamps to be self-adjusting to "foreign" plates. I thought about sending it back but inertia set in...

~Peter

rgs
Goldmember
2,294 posts
Gallery: 144 photos
Joined Jun 2007

May 28, 2013 14:19 |  #29

pdrober2 wrote in post #15974746 (external link)
i would recommend saving up some more $$$ and extend the budget. I bought the manfrotto 055xprob and 498rc2 for ~$200. it worked great while i was using a rebel body and shorter lenses. as soon as i went up to a bigger body and longer lenses, it started dropping, and frankly I lost my confidence in the QR system. I recently upgraded the legs and head, after saving for a while. i love my rig now and i wont need another one for years and years.

i'm just a hobbyist, so throwing a ton of money into support felt wrong, but it is the only way to get a setup that meets my needs/wants.

i would also recommend you buy used to save some moeny. here, FM and ebay usually have good deals pop up hear and there.

Sorry to beat a horse that may be dying, but I said earlier in this thread that the new Manfrotto heads are not a good choice. Some questioned this. Many have experienced the sagging that seems to be related to the Manfrotto quick release system. The 055 PROB legs will work fine for many years. Some may prefer different legs but the Manfrotto 055 legs won't fail you. But put a different head on them.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,399 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

May 28, 2013 14:33 |  #30

cbowlsby wrote in post #15969740 (external link)
Couple of options for you:

Induro is also another great tripod manufacturer, I am very happy with the monopod I have from them. They make a similar set of legs to Manfrotto that are available on Amazon, I'd suggest looking at the AT213 or the AT214 model depending on how tall you are: http://www.indurogear.​com …ies-8m-tripods-at213.aspx (external link)

A ball head for these legs would probably run another $100 or so. You really can't do a good support system for under $250.

I just picked up the Induro last week. LOVE IT. Really solid build and not too heavy.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

sponsored links

3,760 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tripods Again
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.