Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 27 May 2013 (Monday) 01:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How slow is Canon 85L ii 's AF?

clarkent1
134 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 27, 2013 22:40 |  #16

for me its perfectly fine on the 5d3, a notch slower than 50 1.2....who shoots subjects super close to infinity and back constantly?

Canon 5D Mark III - 35L - 50L - 85L II

sponsored links
MFG
536 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 27, 2013 23:01 |  #17

once you get the 5D3 or 1dx, the 85LII AF is no longer an issue.
I hope to share some pics of 5d3+85LII at 1.2 of my dog running towards me. managed to get all sharp in focus photos.

AIPP Accredited (Australia), WPJA
Professional Wedding, Newborn and Family Photographer
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/ScottGohPhotography (external link)
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au/blog (external link)
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au/babie​s-and-children/ (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

May 27, 2013 23:16 |  #18

I know a few guys who will use this lens for basketball but ONLY at mid-court from the sidelines.

I don't know anyone who uses it at the end lines. IOW, not the best glass for chasing people moving toward you or away from you at high speed. ;)

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

alann
Goldmember
2,609 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2007

May 27, 2013 23:26 |  #19

Funny. I have until tomorrow to send my 85L back to Adorama. I am trying to decide if I should qet a s35 and 135 instead. I don't do portraits much.

My FLickrPage (external link)

sportmode
549 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 27, 2013 23:47 |  #20

alann wrote in post #15974227 (external link)
Funny. I have until tomorrow to send my 85L back to Adorama. I am trying to decide if I should qet a s35 and 135 instead. I don't do portraits much.

If you don't do portraits, honestly I'm not sure if 85L makes sense for you.

5D Mark III, 6D, EOS-M 22mm f/2 | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 50mm f1.4 | 100L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | Rokinon 8mm Fisheye

moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011

May 28, 2013 06:41 |  #21

is the 85 f/1.8 faster than the 85L in focus ?
Thanks

| Canon EOS | and some canon lenses

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,596 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

May 28, 2013 07:05 |  #22

moltengold wrote in post #15974729 (external link)
is the 85 f/1.8 faster than the 85L in focus ?
Thanks

yes,, much faster

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011

May 28, 2013 07:30 |  #23

Thanks a lot Mike

| Canon EOS | and some canon lenses

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 28, 2013 07:47 |  #24

clarkent1 wrote in post #15974102 (external link)
for me its perfectly fine on the 5d3, a notch slower than 50 1.2....who shoots subjects super close to infinity and back constantly?

MFG wrote in post #15974168 (external link)
once you get the 5D3 or 1dx, the 85LII AF is no longer an issue.
I hope to share some pics of 5d3+85LII at 1.2 of my dog running towards me. managed to get all sharp in focus photos.

Not really sure about that.
I would never describe the 85L's AF as being a "notch slower" than the 50L. It's significantly slower, especially when having to do a full rack.

I have the 5D3, and while I don't shoot the 85L beyond what I purchased it for, it definitely has issues tracking moving targets, especially those that change direction and speed quickly. Not the best lens for the job and if that was a criteria, I would stick with the 85 1.8.

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,596 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

May 28, 2013 07:58 |  #25

nicksan wrote in post #15974852 (external link)
I would never describe the 85L's AF as being a "notch slower" than the 50L. It's significantly slower, especially when having to do a full rack.

I have the 5D3, and while I don't shoot the 85L beyond what I purchased it for, it definitely has issues tracking moving targets, especially those that change direction and speed quickly. Not the best lens for the job and if that was a criteria, I would stick with the 85 1.8.

^^^^^^^^
This
85L is an awesome lens designed for portrait work. I have used it on a 1Dx and my 5D3's...I dont see any speed difference from a 5D2 to be perfectly honest. Its slow enough to when im trying to hit dance shots of a couples first dance that it cant keep up so ive missed some moments where as a 135L is right there everytime.. but its a bit too long. Im thinking getting another 85 1.8 and still keeping the 85L.... 85 1.8 is very fast. When its dark, couples are moving, i will miss moments with the L,, but that being said, when it hits, theres nothing like it...definitely a bit torn here on my part.......would never ever part with the 85L,,,,,Sigma 85 is a good alternative. I had one. Got too many misses with the sigma,,, sold it and got the L

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

alann
Goldmember
2,609 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2007

May 28, 2013 14:09 |  #26

I am debating keeping my 85L or sending it back to Adorama and getting a 135 and a Sigma 35. Got until the end of today. This tread is a real value to me. Thanks for all the input. :)

My FLickrPage (external link)

stan23
88 posts
Joined Jun 2003

May 28, 2013 14:29 |  #27

AF speed is pretty subjective. I say go try for yourself. Don't go by what people write online who may or may not have had direct experience with the lens.

MFG
536 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 28, 2013 19:41 |  #28

nicksan wrote in post #15974852 (external link)

i agreed with one poster that the AF is subjective.
I have to admit that the AF mode from the 5D3 makes a diff to the dog running towards me. I had AI focus and One Shot -> on good, slow etc.
Then i switch to AI Servo -> then it starts to work really well.

Nicksan, try changing the focusing mode and the focus type. I think i had mode 2 or 3 selected -> lock focus on subject that gets into AF point quick or something along there. It really helps.

AIPP Accredited (Australia), WPJA
Professional Wedding, Newborn and Family Photographer
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/ScottGohPhotography (external link)
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au/blog (external link)
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au/babie​s-and-children/ (external link)

kouasupra
Goldmember
2,750 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2008

May 29, 2013 05:13 |  #29

The 85L is a little faster when it comes to AF on the 1DX compare to the 5D3 and 5D2. It's not painfully slow but you'll get used to it. :)

sportmode
549 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 29, 2013 09:46 |  #30

MFG wrote in post #15977369 (external link)
i agreed with one poster that the AF is subjective.
I have to admit that the AF mode from the 5D3 makes a diff to the dog running towards me. I had AI focus and One Shot -> on good, slow etc.
Then i switch to AI Servo -> then it starts to work really well.

Nicksan, try changing the focusing mode and the focus type. I think i had mode 2 or 3 selected -> lock focus on subject that gets into AF point quick or something along there. It really helps.

Nice tip. It's mode 3. Which grouping of AF points are you typically using if you want to make sure the eyes are in focus, or would you use single point?

5D Mark III, 6D, EOS-M 22mm f/2 | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 50mm f1.4 | 100L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | Rokinon 8mm Fisheye

sponsored links

3,171 views & 0 likes for this thread
How slow is Canon 85L ii 's AF?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.