Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 May 2013 (Tuesday) 07:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5d3 & battery grip issues - since firmware update

npompei
563 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 28, 2013 07:57 |  #1

Hey guys,

I am hoping, but not for your sake, that someone has had this happen and has a solution:

Upgraded my 5d3 firmware about 2 weeks ago, went out to shoot a wedding this weekend and my Vello batter grip and camera are acting all sorts of crazy. The camera just starts burst continuous shooting until it fills the buffer, waits, then keeps going. It doesnt stop! The only way it stops is if I turn the camera or grip power off. Its crazy.

Yes, it worked fine before the upgrade. With genuine canon batteries and with 2 sets of aftermarkets. Never an issue, camera even gave me level readings of the batteries.

Shutter button doesnt take the picture, but it will focus? Sometimes I could get it to stop shooting in burst long enough to test that but if I got it to stop shooting, the main shutter on the camera didnt work!

Very strange but I am fearing the firmware didnt play nice with this grip. Anyone have this issue or a suggestion?!

www.nickpompei.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Canon 5d3-gripped / Canon 5d / Canon EOS M / Phottix Mitros + (3) / Tamron 17-35 (2.8-4.0) / Tamron 28-75 (2.8) / Canon 35L / Canon 50 (1.4) / Sigma 85 (1.4) / Canon 70-200(2.8)IS

sponsored links
*Jayrou
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

May 28, 2013 08:14 |  #2

My genuine grip stopped working completely the day after the firmware upgrade install ....but I was thinking that's just coincidence, its currently at Canon getting looked at.... luckily had 2 weeks before my warranty ran out.

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

Christina.DazzleByDesign
Goldmember
1,973 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 28, 2013 08:17 |  #3

What firmware update #? I updated my firmware about that time ago I believe, have not noticed any issues with my Canon grip....

5D3 | 7D | 85L II | 70-300L | 24-105L | Nifty Fifty | 600EX-RT_______________
| Facebook (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear List |Flickr (external link) |

*Jayrou
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 28, 2013 08:20 |  #4

Christina.DazzleByDesi​gn wrote in post #15974948 (external link)
What firmware update #? I updated my firmware about that time ago I believe, have not noticed any issues with my Canon grip....

Version 1.2.1 released on April 30th

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

npompei
THREAD ­ STARTER
563 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 28, 2013 08:21 |  #5

Yeah I just emailed Vello and waiting to hear back from them. Will they even work on this thing if its got a 3rd party grip on it?! They should considering their firmware update may have broken it. Who knows, still waiting to see what Vello says I guess before moving forward. I was just hoping someone here had a quick fix!

Flickr (external link)
Canon 5d3-gripped / Canon 5d / Canon EOS M / Phottix Mitros + (3) / Tamron 17-35 (2.8-4.0) / Tamron 28-75 (2.8) / Canon 35L / Canon 50 (1.4) / Sigma 85 (1.4) / Canon 70-200(2.8)IS

Christina.DazzleByDesign
Goldmember
1,973 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 28, 2013 08:23 |  #6

*Jayrou wrote in post #15974959 (external link)
Version 1.2.1 released on April 30th

Yep, thats the one. Mine has been working fine. Thats strange that one canon grip would be affected and not another :/ My 5D3 is one of the original releases (light leak model) I never got it "fixed" since it was perfectly fine/didn't affect my shooting. Could it have something to do with the newer models that have been shipped since?

| Facebook (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear List |Flickr (external link) |

*Jayrou
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 28, 2013 08:36 |  #7

npompei wrote in post #15974962 (external link)
Yeah I just emailed Vello and waiting to hear back from them. Will they even work on this thing if its got a 3rd party grip on it?! They should considering their firmware update may have broken it. Who knows, still waiting to see what Vello says I guess before moving forward. I was just hoping someone here had a quick fix!

I doubt it , as its not the camera is it? does it do these weird things without the grip?

Christina.DazzleByDesi​gn wrote in post #15974974 (external link)
Yep, thats the one. Mine has been working fine. Thats strange that one canon grip would be affected and not another :/ My 5D3 is one of the original releases (light leak model) I never got it "fixed" since it was perfectly fine/didn't affect my shooting. Could it have something to do with the newer models that have been shipped since?

My 5d3 is the same , got it on release day ....21st March last year?

I'm waiting to hear back from Canon, but the firmware had crossed my mind briefly, it did work for initial couple of shots testing after but I removed the grip from the body, and when I re attached the next day it was completely dead.

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

Christina.DazzleByDesign
Goldmember
1,973 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 28, 2013 08:45 |  #8

*Jayrou wrote in post #15975013 (external link)
My 5d3 is the same , got it on release day ....21st March last year?

I'm waiting to hear back from Canon, but the firmware had crossed my mind briefly, it did work for initial couple of shots testing after but I removed the grip from the body, and when I re attached the next day it was completely dead.

Yep, I got mine on release day too. I didn't get the battery grip until quite a bit later due to the ridiculous prices here in Canada for them. I waited for it to go on sale but I can't remember exactly when now.

Now I'm afraid to take the grip off :p

*Jayrou
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 28, 2013 08:46 |  #9

Christina.DazzleByDesi​gn wrote in post #15975035 (external link)
Yep, I got mine on release day too. I didn't get the battery grip until quite a bit later due to the ridiculous prices here in Canada for them. I waited for it to go on sale but I can't remember exactly when now.

Now I'm afraid to take the grip off :p

Haha.. that was the first time I removed it since I bought it too.

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

Christina.DazzleByDesign
Goldmember
1,973 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 28, 2013 08:49 |  #10

*Jayrou wrote in post #15975042 (external link)
Haha.. that was the first time I removed it since I bought it too.

Great, I have not taken mine off either. Now Im feeling like I should just to test it...

*Jayrou
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 28, 2013 08:51 |  #11

Christina.DazzleByDesi​gn wrote in post #15975056 (external link)
Great, I have not taken mine off either. Now Im feeling like I should just to test it...

Remember , curiosity killed the cat... :)

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

Christina.DazzleByDesign
Goldmember
1,973 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 28, 2013 08:53 |  #12

*Jayrou wrote in post #15975065 (external link)
Remember , curiosity killed the cat... :)

Yeah, I'm not going to risk it :p

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,947 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

May 28, 2013 08:59 as a reply to  @ Christina.DazzleByDesign's post |  #13

I have a canon grip and no issues with mine after the update

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

npompei
THREAD ­ STARTER
563 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 28, 2013 09:17 |  #14

yeah the camera works fine with the grip on the camera but the power to the grip off. regular camera functions all good, but as soon as I power it on, the camera goes nuts.

I got the camera right around Christmas, just before the new year. This is really going to annoy me! Lets hope that Vello has a solution.

Flickr (external link)

dexy101
Goldmember
2,370 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined Jan 2011

May 28, 2013 19:18 |  #15

Maybe the update didn't fully finish or there was an error somewhere, I wonder if you could go back down a firmware and try installing again.

sponsored links

2,604 views & 0 likes for this thread
5d3 & battery grip issues - since firmware update
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.