Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 27 May 2013 (Monday) 22:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1.5 hour wedding?

kaitlyn2004
Goldmember
1,668 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 27, 2013 22:00 |  #1

I'm meeting with potential/likely clients tomorrow but they initially asked about me for about 3:30-5 - only 1.5 hours!

This would actually be my very first wedding... and that timing seems awfully short! I'll confirm with them the schedule/how the day will play out and maybe there is photo opportunities earlier/later.. but otherwise, it seems incredibly short to try and cram a bunch of things in?

Seems like it would be a rush to cover their actual event unfold, but leaves no time for getting ready, formal shots, etc. etc..?

My Landscape Photography Videos (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
juicedownload
374 posts
Joined Jun 2011

May 27, 2013 22:17 |  #2

Yes, absolutely. An established wedding photographer would probably never do something that short, unless it paid well. I would expect no more than 100 images. Have they mentioned their budget? Or will that be discussed tomorrow? Just be prepared with how low you're willing to go and you don't necessarily have to provide a quote right there and then. And bundle all services in the same quote. Maybe negotiate more time for a price, if you feel their needs are not possible to cover in said time frame.

Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

TheBrick3
Goldmember
2,094 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 27, 2013 22:19 as a reply to  @ juicedownload's post |  #3

Sounds like they just want the ceremony and some formal pictures afterwards.

1D III 5D II 5D | 580 EX II x 2
17-40L | 35L | 100L | 70-200 II | 17-35 f/2.8-f/4
Website (external link)

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 28, 2013 01:01 |  #4

Yeah, this is almost certainly pre-ceremony at the church, brides arrival, ceremony, post ceremony formals.

I am confused however as to why any professional would refuse to provide the level of service that a client wanted.

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

May 28, 2013 01:06 |  #5

Nightstalker wrote in post #15974376 (external link)
Yeah, this is almost certainly pre-ceremony at the church, brides arrival, ceremony, post ceremony formals.

I am confused however as to why any professional would refuse to provide the level of service that a client wanted.

Too short location jobs means lots of travel time, setup time etc in relation to the total income from the job. While at the same time, it is likely that they don't want to pay too much either. So the total profit from the job might be very low compared to if a professional have other jobs available.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 28, 2013 01:09 |  #6

Nightstalker wrote in post #15974376 (external link)

Because in a busy wedding season this takes a prime day out of the running where you could have a full day booking. As most weddings tend to be on the weekends (mainly Saturdays) and be seasonal there are only realistically only so many possible bookings per year.

I have a 5 hour coverage package however I'll only take on a few of these a year. It is also unlikely that I'll take them for the height of the wedding season.

Personally I wouldn't consider a very short coverage wedding unless it was at short notice and I had nothing else on that day.

Peter

casp3r
Goldmember
1,489 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

May 28, 2013 06:28 |  #7

Could also be a civil wedding i.e. not in a church, and these ceremonies usually only take 15 - 20 minutes, well here they do :)

http://www.mcarberypho​to.co.uk (external link)
http://www.niaviation.​co.uk (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Looony2nz
162 posts
Joined May 2010

May 28, 2013 10:10 |  #8

Yes, this can be common with 2nd marriages, couples with a small budget etc. and we cater to those people. They are happy to find a photographer that doesn't have a 4 hour miniumum (for example) and doesn't necessarily want or need all the bells and whistles (fancy album, 500 proofs, etc.)

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

May 28, 2013 10:43 |  #9

kaitlyn2004 wrote in post #15973978 (external link)
I'm meeting with potential/likely clients tomorrow but they initially asked about me for about 3:30-5 - only 1.5 hours!

This would actually be my very first wedding... and that timing seems awfully short! I'll confirm with them the schedule/how the day will play out and maybe there is photo opportunities earlier/later.. but otherwise, it seems incredibly short to try and cram a bunch of things in?

Seems like it would be a rush to cover their actual event unfold, but leaves no time for getting ready, formal shots, etc. etc..?

The only thing I'd add to the previous comments is that you might need (or want) to add your travel and setup time to the quote.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 28, 2013 12:25 as a reply to  @ archer1960's post |  #10

I typically try to let the client determine what a successful shoot is. If it's 1.5 hours and it fits in with your scheduling and pricing, then why not?

No point in coming up with a set of images that would take you 3 hours to accomplish if the timeframe on their end doesn't allow for that. Adjust your expectations/shot list accordingly, imo.

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

Trent ­ Gillespie
589 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 28, 2013 13:13 as a reply to  @ Foodguy's post |  #11

1.5 hours is fine, but I would keep a strict timeline... otherwise it will turn into, "can you show up a little bit early to get a few shots of me getting ready??" And then, the day of, you receive a text or phone call at 11:00... "Where are you?"

Setting expectations with them a head of time is huge. You might even highlight what is possible and not possible in such a short amount of time.

Trent Gillespie
Denver Wedding Photographer (external link)
Gear in the Bag (external link)

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 28, 2013 13:53 |  #12

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #15974399 (external link)
Because in a busy wedding season this takes a prime day out of the running where you could have a full day booking. As most weddings tend to be on the weekends (mainly Saturdays) and be seasonal there are only realistically only so many possible bookings per year.

I have a 5 hour coverage package however I'll only take on a few of these a year. It is also unlikely that I'll take them for the height of the wedding season.

Personally I wouldn't consider a very short coverage wedding unless it was at short notice and I had nothing else on that day.

I do understand that better paying jobs have to take priority - this is a given - I have to juggle the same stuff myself on a regular basis.

I read the original post slightly differently, in that, a professional would not want to be involved in such a short booking for creative reasons.

In my defense it was 7am and I was just on my way out to my 1st job of the day having got up at 6am - I claim being barely awake as the excuse for my stupidity.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 28, 2013 14:03 |  #13

My third ever wedding was a shorty so I did my job for the span I was hired and then played around with techniques & equipment on my own for a bit after. It's not often you can do that in a live situation.

Just because you're paid for short doesn't mean it doesn't have to be worthwhile. OP is new after all. Just make sure the contract is specific about when you're on their dime and when you're not, what images they get and what images they do not.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Flores
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Joined May 2010

May 28, 2013 14:11 |  #14

I got re-married in maui back in march. The fellow who covered our very short ceremony on the beach was a real pro, and we couldn't be happier with his work.

his original coverage was for an hour, and we ended up keeping him busy and engaged on the beach for more like 2... he had no complaints, as I had no problem committing to purchasing finished images on a CD for a few hundred bucks more over his original price, and we got much more than I had hoped for. :D

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 28, 2013 14:25 |  #15

Flores wrote in post #15976249 (external link)
I got re-married in maui back in march. The fellow who covered our very short ceremony on the beach was a real pro, and we couldn't be happier with his work.

his original coverage was for an hour, and we ended up keeping him busy and engaged on the beach for more like 2... he had no complaints, as I had no problem committing to purchasing finished images on a CD for a few hundred bucks more over his original price, and we got much more than I had hoped for. :D

That's kind of how I am about watching the clock. I don't pay that close attention to it, but I set the limits in the contract in case the clients are a real bear and I need out. That way staying is always at my discretion.

I won't sprinkle fairy dust and say every client is wonderful and perfect and a fun time. Some..maybe even most..are but certainly not all.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

sponsored links

1,974 views & 0 likes for this thread
1.5 hour wedding?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.