Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 May 2013 (Monday) 14:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Manual Focus Lenses on 7D - Adapter/Screen etc help!

segedi
THREAD ­ STARTER
47 posts
Joined Feb 2013

May 28, 2013 19:41 |  #16

Yogi - are you using ML on your 7D? I'm liking it but when the camera turns off ML seems to disappear. I can't get it back unless I do a firmware update...

---------------
Segedi.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,464 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 28, 2013 21:36 |  #17

I think that's a known issue with the 7D ML. It needs to be loaded from scratch every time you turn the camera on.

I could be wrong, but I thought I'd read that somewhere.

Mark J.
Gear

segedi
THREAD ­ STARTER
47 posts
Joined Feb 2013

May 29, 2013 00:05 |  #18

Thanks M Six! It's still in alpha so I guess it has its quirks.

---------------
Flickr (external link)

Yogi ­ Bear
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 29, 2013 09:30 as a reply to  @ segedi's post |  #19

segedi wrote in post #15977368 (external link)
Yogi - are you using ML on your 7D? I'm liking it but when the camera turns off ML seems to disappear. I can't get it back unless I do a firmware update...

No, I haven't used it yet. My only card reader (built into Canon printer) is not capable of writing files to a card, only reading them. So, I currently have no way to write the ML files to a CF card.

M_Six wrote in post #15977743 (external link)
I think that's a known issue with the 7D ML. It needs to be loaded from scratch every time you turn the camera on.

I could be wrong, but I thought I'd read that somewhere.

That is correct. The current Alpha release for the 7D is not yet designed to use the 'bootflag' like the other versions do. Ir must be loaded each time the camera is turned on or is returned to service after sleep mode.

Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS |
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM | 250D | EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 580 EX II |

Scapevision
Goldmember
1,118 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 29, 2013 09:34 |  #20

You can write files to the card through USB drag n drop

scapevision.carbonmade​.com (external link) and on Flickr (external link)
"Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light. I just take pictures"

Yogi ­ Bear
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 29, 2013 09:54 |  #21

Scapevision wrote in post #15978972 (external link)
You can write files to the card through USB drag n drop

I can't see any way to do that in Win XP. Windows Explorer is showing the picture files but not the parent folder. It should be "100EOS7D" (I can see it on the printer reader) but it just doesn't show in Explorer. Even so, the card is somehow 'write protected' when in the camera and I cannot even copy a picture file to the card.

Am I missing something?

EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM | 250D | EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 580 EX II |

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

May 29, 2013 10:04 |  #22

Yogi Bear wrote in post #15979039 (external link)
I can't see any way to do that in Win XP. Windows Explorer is showing the picture files but not the parent folder. It should be "100EOS7D" (I can see it on the printer reader) but it just doesn't show in Explorer. Even so, the card is somehow 'write protected' when in the camera and I cannot even copy a picture file to the card.

Am I missing something?

Use a card reader to read the card. The camera is putting additional software in between you and the card.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Yogi ­ Bear
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 29, 2013 10:14 |  #23

SkipD wrote in post #15979077 (external link)
Use a card reader to read the card. The camera is putting additional software in between you and the card.

Like I said in my post above, the only card reader that I have is in my Canon printer and it can only read, not write files to the card. Is that 'normal'? Is there any work-around?

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

May 29, 2013 10:49 |  #24

Yogi Bear wrote in post #15979110 (external link)
Like I said in my post above, the only card reader that I have is in my Canon printer and it can only read, not write files to the card. Is that 'normal'? Is there any work-around?

Go to WalMart (or any similar retail outlet) and buy a USB card reader. That's the best workaround you'll find. They are not at all expensive.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

segedi
THREAD ­ STARTER
47 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 17, 2013 19:00 |  #25

Just an update...
I bought the Optix V5+ AF Confirm PCB Chip AI to Canon adapter from allteamgo on eBay. It was near $50 but works great. Good fit on the lens and body and is way easier to program than a Hasselblad to Canon AF confirm adapter I used to have.

So far so good, although the focusing on Nikon's seems a bit backwards to what I'm used to. Great way to bring new life to the lens and it seems really sharp. Better than the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 I used to own. Will try to get some pics up later.

---------------
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,959 views & 0 likes for this thread
Manual Focus Lenses on 7D - Adapter/Screen etc help!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.