Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 28 May 2013 (Tuesday) 19:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Spyder 3 Elite Can't calibrate anything

Saxi
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 28, 2013 19:25 |  #1

I've had a HP LP2475w for a long time and had nothing but problems, I finally cut my loses and got rid of it a while ago for a Dell 2711.

I finally got around to calibrating it with my Spyder 3 Elite Puck, I had nothing but problems with my HP and calibration and was told it was a difficult monitor to calibrate, but it was also defective and replaced 6 times.

I am having similar issues with the Dell 2711. When I don't calibrate it, it looks decent. When I calibrate it, using the recommended 5800 120 or my preferred 6500 120 or even Native 120 it always has a yellow tint. If I slide a window (like a web browser) across multiple monitors, I can see the tint and it is very noticeable.

No matter what I do, it gives me a tint unless I just keep it uncalibrated. I worked on this with Data Color before and they sent me a replacement puck twice but nothing changed.

Part of the problem is I don't like 120 as I do gaming and a lot more on the computer and I prefer whites to be white and not grey, but even if I pump up the brightness a bit, it still looks yellow.

5D III, 24-105mm f/4 L, 135mm f/2 L, 70-200mm f/4 IS L, 580EX II
Full Gear List
Flickr Photostream (external link)

sponsored links
DiMAn0684
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 28, 2013 20:09 |  #2

have you tried using "native" instead of 5800?

Canon 5D MkII | Canon 16-35mm f/4 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | Canon 24-105mm f/4 | Tamron 70-300mm VC | Canon 430EX II | Benro A2682TB1

Saxi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 28, 2013 20:40 |  #3

DiMAn0684 wrote in post #15977469 (external link)
have you tried using "native" instead of 5800?

Yes, I mentioned above I tried the recommended 5800, 6500, and Native. When I spoke with Data Color, they said I should always use Native as it will keep the color better. But it never works, no matter what I do.

Right now, this is how I have to calibrate.

1) Do nothing.

2) Calibrate, then go into monitor RGB settings and change them until it "looks" good. Pretty sad that's how I have to calibrate with a professional calibrator tool.

I know it isn't the puck, I have 3 of them, none of them work and they all have same results. On my old HP I always had a red tint if I didn't manually calibrate it or leave it uncalibrated. On the Dell it is yellow.

My colors pop a lot better when I calibrate it with the Spyder, then go in and manually adjust RGB until it "looks" right. Not scientific but it is a ton better than letter the Spyder do it. Even uncalibrated looks pretty good and what I used for a while because I was so tired of fighting it.

5D III, 24-105mm f/4 L, 135mm f/2 L, 70-200mm f/4 IS L, 580EX II
Full Gear List
Flickr Photostream (external link)

Naito
171 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 29, 2013 08:56 |  #4

Are you using the software that the Spyder came with? If it has trouble, maybe try this instead:
http://dispcalgui.hoec​h.net/ (external link)

It takes a long time, but is supposed to be a more accurate profile than what the Data Color software makes.

Carl
EOS 40D | 6D

40mm f/2.8 STM | 50mm f/1.8 II | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 100mm f2.8 Macro | Tamron SP 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di VC | Opteka 500mm f/6.3 Mirror
Metz 50-AF1 | Yongnuo YN-622C

tomholman
Goldmember
1,333 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 29, 2013 09:09 |  #5

I have a HP LP2475w. I have had the monitor connected to 3 different laptops with different results. From what I have seen the laptop / graphics abilites of the device the monitor is connected to have more to do with my ability to clibrate the monitor than the monitor plays.

Tom
My Home (external link)
http://www.nthelight.c​om/ (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 31, 2013 07:03 |  #6

Saxi wrote in post #15977572 (external link)
2) Calibrate, then go into monitor RGB settings and change them until it "looks" good. Pretty sad that's how I have to calibrate with a professional calibrator tool.

Don't "go into monitor RGB settings and change them"…
You shouldn't have to.

Are you sure the screen *is* yellow, instead of *looks yellow to you* since you have always watched a blue-ish screen?

At 120Cd/m^2, whites shouldn't look "gray", unless the environment you are in is (way too) bright…

What OS?
Are you creating a V4 or V2 profile?

"Native" is the best option. What does your calibration software tell you after calibrating?
What software are you viewing images in?

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links

1,688 views & 0 likes for this thread
Spyder 3 Elite Can't calibrate anything
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.