Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 May 2013 (Monday) 10:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D II or 6D in regard to IQ and High ISO?

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 25, 2013 16:08 |  #31

Talley wrote in post #15958113 (external link)
Higher iso capability is amazing. Look at this shot. Iso 20,000 2.8 1/160 with 40mm pancake. If it wasn't for this camera there is no way I could've gotten shots of my newborn daughter in the NICU where they keep lights down low and do not allow flash, especially when you need to keep shutter up to keep hands and such from showing up as a blur.

iso 20,000 looks pretty good !

sponsored links
gdourado07
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 29, 2013 05:40 |  #32

Hello,
I am really leaning towards a 6D.
Just wanted to ask another question. In regard to dynamic range, is the Nikon D600 vastly superior like some reviewers say?

Cheers!

Current gear:
Fuji X100S

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

May 29, 2013 05:56 |  #33
bannedPermanent ban

gdourado07 wrote in post #15978522 (external link)
Hello,
I am really leaning towards a 6D.
Just wanted to ask another question. In regard to dynamic range, is the Nikon D600 vastly superior like some reviewers say?

Cheers!

easily 2 stops @ low ISO. Enough said.

If you are primarily a land/seascape person, I'd go with D600.

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

Tmuussoni
330 posts
Joined Oct 2011

May 29, 2013 06:55 |  #34

Sirrith wrote in post #15952090 (external link)
Get the 6D if you want:
better AF
better IQ
better high ISO
more features

Get the 5DII if you want:
a body that is not labelled "entry level"
to save money by buying used

In my opinion, a slightly updated comparision:

Get the 6D if you want:
-better central AF point (-3 EV sensitivity, really helps at low light)
-better IQ at high ISO (over ISO 4000). Granted I used 6D only for a week for test purposes, but I really could not tell the difference in IQ when compared to my 5D II below ISO4000. Maybe 6D can give you cleaner JPG-files, but I hardly use JPGs anyway...
-more features (GPS&WIFI)
- slightly lighter and smaller body (I actually really appreciate this feature, for me smaller and lighter, the better)

Get the 5DII if you want:
-a body that is not labelled "entry level"
-to save money by buying used
- has joystick
- 1/8000 shutter speed
-More features coupled with Magic Lantern custom firmware: for example: focus peaking, focus stacking, focus snap, really useful HDR, etc. 5D II & Magic Lantern = awesome combination!

Dynamic range it is a tie, it's insignificant difference. You won't see any difference in real life images.

So to sum up:

5D II is still a great body, especially for it's price. It's great for landscaping. If you can get it for let's say >300-400$ cheaper than the 6D, go for it. 6D will have only one year warranty anyway, so chances of your DSLR breaking in first year is kinda tiny anyway.

If you want truly astonishing body at extreme ISOs ( like you will be using over ISO 6400 on regular basis), get the 6D. GPS and WIFI are really cool features as well.

If you want a truly wonderful full frame DSLR with excelent auto focus system, get the 5D III. 5D III is from different planet, when comparing it's AF to 6D/5D II, make no mistake. It's a world if difference when you have 63 AF points (41 all cross type AF points) vs 5DII/6D 11 AF-points (with only single cross-type), and you are trying to AF something which is moving irrationally and fast.

And despite this beeing a dedicated Canon forum, it's better to keep your views open. If you are not in any way already committed to Canon lenses, I would give serious consideration to Nikon D600. 2 EV stop advantage in dynamic range is huge compared to 6D/5D III/5D II. You can safely pull the shadows all the way without significant degration on image quality, while doing the same on 6D/5D II/5D III gives you considerable banding effect. Looks horrible. In my view D600 offers the best perfomance and image quality below ISO 4000, with excelent AF system. D600+lens like Zeiss 21/2.8 or Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 will blow your sucks off for landscaping ;)

Flickr (external link)
Gear list

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

May 29, 2013 07:07 |  #35
bannedPermanent ban

Slight correction above - 5D3 has 61 points with 41 crosstypes, not 63/19.

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

Tmuussoni
330 posts
Joined Oct 2011

May 29, 2013 07:32 |  #36

kin2son wrote in post #15978613 (external link)
Slight correction above - 5D3 has 61 points with 41 crosstypes, not 63/19.

Ah you are right, thank you :). I don't know what I was thinking, for some reason I was thinking number of AF points in 7D.. edited and corrected :)

Flickr (external link)
Gear list

ShaneF
22 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 29, 2013 07:35 |  #37

Personally, I would worry about auto focus last. If you're doing static non-moving image (and you're certain it's a "keeper") then one should be using a tripod AND manual focus it, anyway. As I said, if it's a "keeper" then I wouldn't let the camera do any thinking for me, whatsoever.

Second: the high ISO people make me laugh. Obviously, they are not printing images to sell to people for 700 bucks. Are they trying to tell me that they are going to shoot something at 25,600 (or even above ISO 320 for that matter), then print it at 24X36 inches and expect to get paid?

These ISO freaks are hobby people.

The first thing to think about -in my opinion, because I own a 24 inch printer- is: will I be able to shoot the image with the intention of making a print that size and make it saleable?

That's what " I " care about.

gfspencer
179 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2008

May 29, 2013 08:31 |  #38

davidfarina wrote in post #15966366 (external link)
Would you say it beats even the 5dM3?

Yes. I think it would beat a 5DIII.

The 5DIII is a great camera. I would love to own one. (I would be glad to own a 5DII as well.) However, the 6D beats anything I have ever seen in low light.

Yesterday I was in a gold mine. (Reed Gold Mine - a North Carolina state historic site) This is a dark mine. The only light is an the occasional 60w bulb spaced along the tunnel. I did not have a flash with me but I thought I might as well try to get some pictures. One or two time the 6D had a little trouble hunting for a focus but once it had a focus it took some very good pictures.

Every time I use the 6D in a low light setting I am impressed.

Canon 50D - Canon 7DII - Canon 6D - 16-35mm f/2.8L - 24-105mm f/4[COLOR="red"]L IS - 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - 50mm f/1.2L - 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS - 100-400mm II f/4.5-5.6L IS - Extender EF 2x

Mavgirl
647 posts
Joined Mar 2013

May 29, 2013 08:43 |  #39

ShaneF wrote in post #15978664 (external link)
Personally, I would worry about auto focus last. If you're doing static non-moving image (and you're certain it's a "keeper") then one should be using a tripod AND manual focus it, anyway. As I said, if it's a "keeper" then I wouldn't let the camera do any thinking for me, whatsoever.

Second: the high ISO people make me laugh. Obviously, they are not printing images to sell to people for 700 bucks. Are they trying to tell me that they are going to shoot something at 25,600 (or even above ISO 320 for that matter), then print it at 24X36 inches and expect to get paid?

The first thing to think about -in my opinion, because I own a 24 inch printer- is: will I be able to shoot the image with the intention of making a print that size and make it saleable?

Or event shooters. Being able to go into clubs, restaurants, gallery openings and other dark locations and get shots with significantly lower noise that preserve the atmosphere created by the ambient lighting is handy. I can do things with my 6D in extreme low light that were unimaginable fifteen years ago.

But we all have different needs from our cameras.

6D/50D/350D with too many lenses
Calumet 4x5, Pentax SV 35mm, Canon A-1, Rebel G and many more toys...

davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2013

May 29, 2013 09:18 |  #40

Whats wrong about beeing hobby people? Dont we deserve to have OUR point of view about such topic? If youd call yourself a pro, or at least a non-hobby photographer you'd recognize that the camera is just a tool, for professinal or for private purposes. Sure you cant print a 12500 ISO image that large, but what about if you use 6400 ISO, its your only chance to get THAT SPECIAL picture. Wouldnt you like to get that picture a bit noisy instead of coming home without a picture? Converting to black and white and the noise can be used as stylistic element (thought not suitable for every subject)

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

May 29, 2013 10:08 |  #41

kin2son wrote in post #15978539 (external link)
easily 2 stops @ low ISO. Enough said.

If you are primarily a land/seascape person, I'd go with D600.

One thing to keep in mind is the Two stop advantage is not upheld through the entire ISO range. So, two stops through around 100-800 ISO, and from that point forward the two cameras are about the same.

_
My Gear is ---> Here

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,086 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 29, 2013 10:48 |  #42

Who cares what you care about. I took this photo of my daughter while she is in the NICU and cannot use flash. It's ISO 20,000 and you bet your ass I will print this at 24x36 AND if I couldn't do this myself I would pay someone for it. You "Pro" photographers really let your marketing shine don't ya.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2013

May 29, 2013 17:41 |  #43

Talley wrote in post #15979210 (external link)
Who cares what you care about. I took this photo of my daughter while she is in the NICU and cannot use flash. It's ISO 20,000 and you bet your ass I will print this at 24x36 AND if I couldn't do this myself I would pay someone for it. You "Pro" photographers really let your marketing shine don't ya.

Real morron. Some people dont get impressed by his statement of the 700 bucks. Maybe he doesnt understand that its a important moment of someones life and it doesnt matter how noisy the result is, thought its still looking much better than the photos my parents had of me :)

The statement about hobby/iso-fans really shows up hes less pro as he thinks ;)

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

_igi
262 posts
Joined May 2011

May 29, 2013 18:03 |  #44

I have both (actually had, cause my 5D is dead) and i can say that 6D is in every way better in terms of image quality, but it have few flaws.

For me the biggest deal is 1/4000th limited shutter, lack of screen brightness sensor and few software bugs - two menus for wi-fi, problematic choice of focus points (can't it be just like in 60D?), too large menu and these stupid buttons on the top, i'm changing my white banalce and iso daily, but things like lightmeter or focusing mode are set just like it came from factory.

Anyway, i would grab 6D over 5DII any day, it's very nice camera :-)

1DsIII x2 | 1DIV | TS-E17/4L | TS-E 24/3.5LII | 24L | 35L | 50L | 100L | 135L | 28-70/2.8L | 100-400L

tekdekk
29 posts
Joined May 2013

May 29, 2013 18:53 |  #45

The 6D reviews are def up there. I have seen a lot of comparisons between both 6D does in fact have an Up on the mk2. No bashing intended on the mk2 it is a great cam.

5DC | 50mm 1.4 | PrimeTime | 85mm 1.8 |

sponsored links

7,282 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D II or 6D in regard to IQ and High ISO?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.