Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 29 May 2013 (Wednesday) 11:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tight space for Business Portraits Help!

mgnike1
398 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 29, 2013 11:30 |  #1

Hi all,

I've been asked to provide digital images of an optometrist (headshot) and his staff, individually, and group the staff as one image. The optometrist's wife requested I do the shoot at his office in their "good size lounge". I stopped by his office to take a look at the lounge and walked into about an 8x12 lounge. It's quite small and I'm beginning to worry that it's going to be really tight. I texted his wife a day later to let her know it would be tight and would do my best. She replied "whatever works for you". I'm unsure wether to use some of my backdrops (blue, burgundy, grey, white) or my chroma key for the shoot. I will be using a 7D with 24-70 2.8 lens, don't have a wider lens. Also, do you suggest monolights (24x36 softbox) for shoot or speedlight (580EX)?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,243 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

May 29, 2013 11:38 |  #2

Use the gray drop. The headshots should be doable in that space. Since you say monolights (plural) and Speedlite (singular) then I suggest monolights. Just move the group to any space nearby you can find. You cant bend the laws of physics to suit the client, if the space isnt big enough, find one that is.

tlzimmerman
258 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 29, 2013 11:40 |  #3

Should be plenty of room for headshots, I would bring the backdrops and let them choose what they want, and push them towards grey (my favorite color for headshots). Back up as far as you can, zoom in, and make it work. I would set up the big softbox on the mono myself unless you wanted the light to be a little harder.

5d Mk III - 5d Mk II - 550d - 24-70L - 70-200L IS II - 24-105 F4 L - 85 1.8 - 50 1.4 - 60 Macro - 15 Fisheye

mgnike1
THREAD ­ STARTER
398 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 29, 2013 11:54 as a reply to  @ tlzimmerman's post |  #4

Gonzo, it will be head shot of optometrist. The staff I will shoot individually and 1/2 body. I will then then merge the 8 staff members into one image as a staff to appear as one whole group. Will the grey backdrop work for that or should I be thinking chroma key?

Zimmerman, I'm unable to move subjects anywhere else due to the rooms/offices are all small.

Also, I don't have much space to move them away from the backdrop and avoid background shadow....

i_am_cdn
258 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2009

May 29, 2013 12:23 |  #5

personally, I would suggest an "environmental" shot, use an exam room with equipment in background, wide aperture to keep focus on the subject. no background needed.

Douglas Portz Photography
www.portz.ca (external link)
www.winnipegsportsteam​photos.com (external link)
www.winnipegsportsphot​os.com (external link)
www.winnipegeventphoto​s.com (external link)

mgnike1
THREAD ­ STARTER
398 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 29, 2013 13:13 |  #6

I am, I thought of the "environmental" shot but they requested headshot/staff so I'm basically complying with their request...thanks!

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

May 29, 2013 13:23 |  #7

Shooting the headshots in that space should be no problem. One monolight for main, one for fill, and maybe the Speedlight for a hair/rim/kicker/BG light.

Shooting the busts with the intent to composite them together to look like a group shot? That's a whole 'nother ball of wax. Unless you're very skilled with compositing (including shooting and lighting with the intent to composite later) it's gonna be hard to make it look natural.

I wouldn't use the chromakey/green screen. In a room that size, it will be practically impossible to avoid throwing a color cast onto the subject. A flat gray or unlit white will arguably work best for this.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

May 29, 2013 16:27 |  #8

mgnike1 wrote in post #15979340 (external link)
I'm unsure wether to use some of my backdrops (blue, burgundy, grey, white) or my chroma key for the shoot. I will be using a 7D with 24-70 2.8 lens, don't have a wider lens. Also, do you suggest monolights (24x36 softbox) for shoot or speedlight (580EX)?

If this is a paying gig, these are the types of decisions that you should be able to make in your client's best interest.

Based on the fact that you are trying to merge multiple photos in post, I would think that a chromakey background would be easiest, especially since there are likely to be white labcoats in the shot.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

May 30, 2013 06:56 |  #9

mgnike1 wrote in post #15979635 (external link)
I am, I thought of the "environmental" shot but they requested headshot/staff so I'm basically complying with their request...thanks!

In this case, you might want make the suggestion any way. If they veto it, you've still given your professional opinion and they can't complain.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

sponsored links

1,104 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tight space for Business Portraits Help!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.