Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 28 May 2013 (Tuesday) 15:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you carry anything for self-defense?

this thread is locked
FreeSoul1987
THREAD ­ STARTER
526 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jul 2012

May 29, 2013 14:01 |  #61

mpix345 wrote in post #15979649 (external link)
Sorry FreeSoul, I didn't mean to come across as a jerk. Pretty serious subject that is very hard to communicate about in this format. You need to feel safe, and feel that you are keeping your kid(s) safe. Sounds like you have given it a ton of thought and are doing what is right for you.

I totally understand, and I really hope I didn't come off as jerky or "snippy". It really is hard to explain everything, without remembering or thinking I missed something that would help. My excuse for that, I have ADHD and I could have a whole paragraph (book) in my head but only have a few sentences here, thinking I have completely explained myself to you... it's a curse I would assume :)
Tom Reichner, things like this happen in real life. A woman walking her child back in Georgia just a month or so ago, two teens walk up to her, threaten that if she didn't give any money that they would kill her 13 month old boy, she had no money, they shot and killed the boy. Here in my town, just a few months or less a guy was walking down the street and got shot in the leg by a drive by, a strip joint just the other day had a drive by shooting, one guy (probably something to do with drugs) was chased to Walmart (him and the other were driving), shot in the back while trying to run into Walmart, he lived though. Another case, last year a woman was running at 5 in the morning on our riverfront, attacked from behind by a man and raped (can't remember if she lived or not). A sheriff in I believe Kentucky was shot down, he was headed home and for some reason got out of his car and walked near an embankment or overpass where the shooter apparently was hiding. A passerby found his body and called police. This isn't a movie, it's reality and there are bad people out there, being a woman it is probably slightly more dangerous for me than you and I don't intend on taking chances. If I thought movies were real life then I would expect that holding a gun gave me absolute professional skills with it and I could do what Angelina Jolie does in Tomb Raider, but I know it doesn't because I understand the difference between reality and fake.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*
www.FreeSoulPhotograph​y.smugmug.com (external link)
Gear: Canon EOS 70D, 430EX II flash, Tamron 18-270mm VC PZD II, Canon 18-55mm lens, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens

sponsored links
Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 29, 2013 14:06 |  #62

Tom Reichner wrote in post #15979702 (external link)
This sounds surreal to me - like something out of a Mission Impossible or James Bond movie.

Does anyone here on POTN really live in a place with all kinds of criminal plots going on around them all the time? Reading this thread, it seems to me like maybe some people spend too much time watching TV or the movies, and then think that what they see on the screen is what "real life" is like.

Meh, a healthy dose of paranoia will either keep you alive, or kill you from stress.

So far I'm still alive. (But I really have never been in a place or event that I felt truly threatened by anything beyond stupidity. And that includes a few short trips to less than friendly parts of the world.)

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

May 29, 2013 14:13 |  #63

This sounds surreal to me - like something out of a Mission Impossible or James Bond movie.

Does anyone here on POTN really live in a place with all kinds of criminal plots going on around them all the time? Reading this thread, it seems to me like maybe some people spend too much time watching TV or the movies, and then think that what they see on the screen is what "real life" is like.

I think you're right Tom. Specifically, I think the "news" has a lot to do with some people's perception of what the world is really like.

FreeSoul1987
THREAD ­ STARTER
526 posts
Joined Jul 2012

May 29, 2013 14:28 |  #64

Luckless wrote in post #15979792 (external link)
Meh, a healthy dose of paranoia will either keep you alive, or kill you from stress.

So far I'm still alive. (But I really have never been in a place or event that I felt truly threatened by anything beyond stupidity. And that includes a few short trips to less than friendly parts of the world.)

There's a 99.9% chance I'll never be in that situation, but I'm concerned about that tiny, teeny-weeny % chance that I might........because that is the one that matters most.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*
Gear: Canon EOS 70D, 430EX II flash, Tamron 18-270mm VC PZD II, Canon 18-55mm lens, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens

koala ­ yummies
736 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Oct 2008

May 29, 2013 14:35 as a reply to  @ FreeSoul1987's post |  #65

There are photographers carrying around 1DXs, 1D4s, 1Ds3s, 70-200IIs, 24Ls, 300 2.8s, working in places like Eritrea, Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Lebanon, North Korea, Haiti, basically the worst places on earth. I've never seen or heard about James Nachtwey, Chris Hondros (RIP), David Guttenfelder, Paula Bronstein or any other AP, Magnum, Reuters, AFP or freelance photojournalist, carrying a weapon.

flickr (external link)

luciddreamer
861 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 29, 2013 14:41 |  #66

I usually have a ten pound lens on the end of a long tripod. Fend off squirrels, warblers, bunny rabbits, snakes, weasels, beavers, and eagles with that set up. I try to stay out of the city, too many scary rats in those places.

materialism ~
preoccupation with or emphasis on material objects, comforts, and considerations, with a disinterest in or rejection of spiritual, intellectual, or cultural values.

Rstanford
201 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 29, 2013 14:49 |  #67

On average 200,000 women defend themselfs yearly from violent attack with a handgun, thats more than 500 a day, where do you live? in a bubble.

cdiver2
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Joined Feb 2012

May 29, 2013 14:57 |  #68

There is a lot to be said for being aware of your surroundings. May years ago I was in a busy downtown city center (on foot) as my wife and I came to a cross road we got slightly separated and had to Waite to cross the road. Looking at the people around me I noticed a guy looking at my wife's purse and then the people around him, he did this 2-3 times. Eventually our eyes meet and I shake my head in a no gesture, when we got the walk light he took off like a rocket.
You can never catch every thing, I have had a knife pulled on me, shot at and I was not aware of the situations until they started to unfold. In hind site I could have been more prepared for the knife incident.

jimfred
41 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 29, 2013 15:08 |  #69

I used to carry an ice axe, but over the last decade I've acquired a balance problem so no more mountains unfortunately. Now I go to track meets and volleyball games with my camera. Relatively safe unless some nut with an AK47 or equivalent shows up. There my ice axe wouldn't help.

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,416 posts
Gallery: 222 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

May 29, 2013 15:09 |  #70

koala yummies wrote in post #15979880 (external link)
There are photographers carrying around 1DXs, 1D4s, 1Ds3s, 70-200IIs, 24Ls, 300 2.8s, working in places like Eritrea, Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Lebanon, North Korea, Haiti, basically the worst places on earth. I've never seen or heard about James Nachtwey, Chris Hondros (RIP), David Guttenfelder, Paula Bronstein or any other AP, Magnum, Reuters, AFP or freelance photojournalist, carrying a weapon.

The dynamics of being in a war zone are different from being on a city street at night. Both can be dangerous, but for different reasons. Protecting yourself in a rocket or mortar attack, or from rebels, insurgents, and so on, isn't the same as defending yourself against a thug with a knife.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

FreeSoul1987
THREAD ­ STARTER
526 posts
Joined Jul 2012

May 29, 2013 15:21 |  #71

LV Moose wrote in post #15979997 (external link)
The dynamics of being in a war zone are different from being on a city street at night. Both can be dangerous, but for different reasons. Protecting yourself in a rocket or mortar attack, or from rebels, insurgents, and so on, isn't the same as defending yourself against a thug with a knife.

+100
Didn't think about it that way, but good point. I also like cdiver2 and Rstanford's responses as well.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 29, 2013 15:21 |  #72
bannedPermanent ban

Besides, those aren't their gear and they are insured.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

koala ­ yummies
736 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Oct 2008

May 29, 2013 15:34 |  #73

Protecting yourself from an arbitrary what-if scenario is a lot different from trying to defend against an entire culture of permeating unfounded fear.

As if there aren't 'thugs with knives' in any of the nations listed? I didn't realize this thread was primarily about fear.

There are photos of Paula with an AK in her face as she clutches her 1-series. War-zone, city street, semantics. The concept of carrying a weapon to protect camera equipment is... well, there are no words that I can come up with at this present time to describe just how ridiculous this concept is.

By all means, if it's legal, pack some heat. And please stay away from me.

flickr (external link)

Casual
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined May 2013

May 29, 2013 15:38 as a reply to  @ TooManyShots's post |  #74

kf095 wrote in post #15976650 (external link)
I don't know any neighborhood anywhere in Canada where I will need something for defence, because of the neighborhood.

Well I know plenty!

I usually feel a little better with a monopod at my side, mine has a nice retractable sharp metal tip that I extend when my spidey sense goes off. That combined with awareness and comon sense can go along way. Probably a good idea to NOT be shooting by yourself in questionable locations with thousands of dollars worth of gear on your back.

5DMKIII|50D|17-40L|24-105L|50 f1.4|100 f2.0 Macro|70-300 f4-5.6|Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 29, 2013 15:40 |  #75

Rstanford wrote in post #15979938 (external link)
On average 200,000 women defend themselfs yearly from violent attack with a handgun, thats more than 500 a day, where do you live? in a bubble.

99% of all statistics are made up on the spot. ;):cool:

Tom

sponsored links

13,529 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you carry anything for self-defense?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.