Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 30 May 2013 (Thursday) 11:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wow, just wow - Sun Times lays off Photo staff

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

May 30, 2013 11:01 |  #1

http://www.chicagotrib​une.com …-20130530,0,4361142.sto​ry (external link)

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

sponsored links
Gaarryy
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2010

May 30, 2013 11:08 |  #2

wow is right.
I realize it's just me, but when I'm online the thing I hate as much as ad's is some video clip going on when I just want to read the story.
So the photo staff is gone, Video will be more prevalent, I wonder how many will stay on as free lance

---------------Camera, Lens, Flash stuff.. but still wanting more

treck_dialect
689 posts
Joined Jul 2010

May 30, 2013 11:10 |  #3

^^^ i feel the same way about video.

well hello
http://aleccorpuz.word​press.com/ (external link)
Flickr (external link)

2n10
Cream of the Crop
17,074 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Sep 2012

May 30, 2013 11:13 |  #4

Same here on video. Terrible news.

John
Equipment
My Portfolio (external link)

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 30, 2013 11:14 |  #5

Makes sense financially. Why pay a staff photographer 60-90K a year when you can buy images a la cart from freelance photographers. Especially now that everyone carries digital cameras everywhere. You might have something happen newsworthy and have more and better images from the general public than you do from your staff photographer.

Plus newspaper sales are tanking...I am still surprised that they didn't keep at least a couple staff on board. But they can always come back and freelance for pennies compared to what they made before...

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,947 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

May 30, 2013 11:15 as a reply to  @ treck_dialect's post |  #6

Unfortunately, as long as every weekend warrior continues to give it away for free so they can get their names in the paper, and go on their blogs and tell everyone,,OMG Im so excited that i have been published,,, what a crock of crap,,,, this will continue happen at the rest of the major companies...why pay benefits and salaries when you can get it for free

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,254 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

May 30, 2013 11:15 |  #7

I hate hate hate video popping up when I am trying to read a news story online. I'm curious how this will shake out though. I suspect they will still continue to use photos as they currently do, just moving the costs associated with maintaining an employee over to independent contractors..

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

May 30, 2013 11:24 |  #8

I'm actually surprised they still had staff photogs, would have guessed that went away a long time ago.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 30, 2013 12:38 |  #9

umphotography wrote in post #15982604 (external link)
Unfortunately, as long as every weekend warrior continues to give it away for free so they can get their names in the paper, and go on their blogs and tell everyone,,OMG Im so excited that i have been published,,, what a crock of crap,,,, this will continue happen at the rest of the major companies...why pay benefits and salaries when you can get it for free

Well, to some extent that is me. I freelance for a handful of papers and magazines and when I have an interesting image I try and sell it to the editor. Not to pat myself on the back but for exposure. I have had numerous people say they saw my picture in "X" and can we get together and talk about a project. The allure of being published fades after its happened a few times, and the payout is rather measly compared to a fine art print or event work.

Do I feel like I am destroying the lives of staff photographers and taking food out of their babies mouths? Hardly.

gonzogolf wrote in post #15982606 (external link)
I hate hate hate video popping up when I am trying to read a news story online.

I disable the flash plugin in my browser so the video doesn't automatically play. Works great.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,840 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

May 30, 2013 12:48 |  #10

The times, they are a changin'...... and have been for decades. When print publications started putting their stuff online, this change was inevitable, I think.

Losing your job to these world changes is not pleasant. I've been there..... 2000/2001 when the hi tech industry bubble popped.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

waylandcool
486 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2007

May 30, 2013 12:52 |  #11

I'm surprised this doesn't happen more. The biggest issue I see with freelancers is quanity and quality control. If they start getting lots and lots of amateur submitted crap, they may just hire pros on an assignment to assignment basis.

Hiring good freelancers, good cost effective move. Getting photos from the avaerage amateur with an IPhone, not a good move.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,109 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 30, 2013 13:19 |  #12

"Video Killed the Radio Star" and apparently, the Photo Journalist.

Wow.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,432 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 30, 2013 13:48 |  #13

I'm surprised that the Suntimes and Trib are still around. I would have thought that the vast majority of their readers have died off and a good portion of the ones left can no longer read. ;):)

Seriously, who the heck still reads newspapers? Bird owners? Though i must admit, once every other month or so I'll pick one up. Newspaper works great for cleaning windows and for starting charcoal in a charcoal chimney.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,254 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

May 30, 2013 13:52 |  #14

gjl711 wrote in post #15983130 (external link)
I'm surprised that the Suntimes and Trib are still around. I would have thought that the vast majority of their readers have died off and a good portion of the ones left can no longer read. ;):)

Seriously, who the heck still reads newspapers? Bird owners? Though i must admit, once every other month or so I'll pick one up. Newspaper works great for cleaning windows and for starting charcoal in a charcoal chimney.

I know you are joking, and newspapers are not the profit centers they once were. But they still have a strong subscriber base. The funny thing is, all the news you read on the net, it usually starts with a newspaper reporter.

dwarrenr
Goldmember
1,650 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 30, 2013 14:06 |  #15

The small daily papers have sadly done the same thing years ago, and most of the daily papers no longer have a photo-editor (job falls on the editor). And most have even dropped their AP Photo subscription as well for their NCAA and pro sports. It is just now starting to happen to the large papers. But for the most part most seem to shy away from publishing much 'reader submitted' images and when they do it is captioned "submitted photo".

As far as city news, the small daily papers have been requiring the report to shoot their own images...and yes I've witnessed several using their phone. And that goes some for sports as well. I had one sports editor call me and ask, "can you stop by and show me how to use our camera? I'm tired of my photos sucking." And he is shooting with a Canon 20D, which is their good camera. :-(

Print media is dying...which we all know.

D. Warren Robison
"All guys feel the need to compensate. Most compensate with sports cars. I compensate with a 400mm 2.8"
Flickr (external link) - Home Page (external link) - MaxPreps Gallery - (external link)Razzi (external link)
Equipment List

sponsored links

14,496 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wow, just wow - Sun Times lays off Photo staff
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.