Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 May 2013 (Thursday) 06:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D noise issues

Circa ­ Soundtrack
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Mar 2013

May 30, 2013 06:00 |  #1

Hi, i've posted about this before but i'm really starting to tear my hair out on this one.

When i zoom in on the background of this photo all i see is this disgusting graininess, and one certain detail on the face too, in particular on the teeth.

Am i going mad or is this normal on a correctly exposed ISO100 shot?

This was shot with a 7D with 50mm 1.4.

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5329/8888723259_d83c1c36cb_b.jpg

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,168 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

May 30, 2013 06:12 |  #2

• Is this a out-of-camera JPG or raw?
  • If a raw, what steps did you take to finally generate the JPG?
  • Did you post process the JPG and what did you do?
  • If you shot as a JPG only, what picture style settings did you have defined?

I ask these questions because if you raise brightness up after the fact either on the raw or JPG, you will create noise. If you sharpen this, the noise effect will be amplified.

What is the exif here too? Did you actually shoot at f1.4? If so, then your DOF is very thin, and you won't have full head detail, but just a small sliver. You would be better service shooting at f4, for example, at ISO 400, with EC set to +1/3, IMO.

Now, if what you mean by noise and graininess, you mean the strange patterns of the background, that is called bokeh, and the 50 1.4 is not known for rendering smooth out of focus areas, its bokeh is a bit twitchy as you can see. So if that is what you are talking about, that is all a result of your lens, and not your camera. Based on what I read from your other thread, I don't think you mean noise in the conventional sense, but rather the bokeh and chromatic effects of the lens. You mentioned in the other thread about how you use smaller aperture numbers, you start to get effects around edges of subjects, etc and based on your picture above, you really mean the background rendering. Again, if that is what you are trying to get across, that is all on the 50 1.4 lens. It is one of the reasons I no longer shoot with it, along with its AF internal design that fails easily.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,482 posts
Gallery: 114 photos
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

May 30, 2013 06:26 |  #3

This is noise.....if your image looks like this....you have problems.

IMAGE: http://www.frogdawg.com/img/s4/v62/p1811686694-4.jpg

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

Orogeny
987 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2003

May 30, 2013 07:10 |  #4

Circa Soundtrack wrote in post #15981885 (external link)
When i zoom in on the background of this photo all i see is this disgusting graininess, and one certain detail on the face too, in particular on the teeth.

Quit zooming in on the background.;)

There's someone in my head, but it's not me! - Roger Waters

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/orogeny/ (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

May 30, 2013 07:17 |  #5

Orogeny wrote in post #15981988 (external link)
Quit zooming in on the background.;)

Instead, print your image 5 foot wide then examine the print with a magnifying glass. It has the same effect, but it's so obviously stupid that you'll only do it the once.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

JCH77Yanks
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Mar 2007

May 30, 2013 09:39 |  #6

Woolburr wrote in post #15981917 (external link)
This is noise.....if your image looks like this....you have problems.
QUOTED IMAGE

Agreed. That is noise. The "noise" most complain about nowadays is at magnified views. I honestly don't care about today's noise, I'd rather have a sharp image than a blotchy, noise-reduced mess.

Joe Halliday
7D | XT | 10-22 | 24-105 f/4L | 28 1.8 | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8 | 580EXII | 430EXII | 430EX | Flickr (external link)| 500px (external link) |
Dial "M" for Manual.

Circa ­ Soundtrack
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Mar 2013

May 30, 2013 09:46 |  #7

TeamSpeed wrote in post #15981898 (external link)
  • Is this a out-of-camera JPG or raw?
  • If a raw, what steps did you take to finally generate the JPG?
  • Did you post process the JPG and what did you do?
  • If you shot as a JPG only, what picture style settings did you have defined?

I ask these questions because if you raise brightness up after the fact either on the raw or JPG, you will create noise. If you sharpen this, the noise effect will be amplified.

What is the exif here too? Did you actually shoot at f1.4? If so, then your DOF is very thin, and you won't have full head detail, but just a small sliver. You would be better service shooting at f4, for example, at ISO 400, with EC set to +1/3, IMO.

Now, if what you mean by noise and graininess, you mean the strange patterns of the background, that is called bokeh, and the 50 1.4 is not known for rendering smooth out of focus areas, its bokeh is a bit twitchy as you can see. So if that is what you are talking about, that is all a result of your lens, and not your camera. Based on what I read from your other thread, I don't think you mean noise in the conventional sense, but rather the bokeh and chromatic effects of the lens. You mentioned in the other thread about how you use smaller aperture numbers, you start to get effects around edges of subjects, etc and based on your picture above, you really mean the background rendering. Again, if that is what you are trying to get across, that is all on the 50 1.4 lens. It is one of the reasons I no longer shoot with it, along with its AF internal design that fails easily.

Shot in Raw.
Uploaded raw into Lightroom and exported as JPEG.
All i did in post processing was a little bit of colour alteration. The noise was present before.

I'm quite aware about the Bokeh, my problem is the graininess present in the whole photo and all of my photos even when exposed correctly on low ISO's like this one was. I took on board what advice i got in the other thread but it hasn't fixed my problem at all.

palamedes
72 posts
Joined May 2013

May 30, 2013 09:46 |  #8

Circa Soundtrack wrote in post #15981885 (external link)
Hi, i've posted about this before but i'm really starting to tear my hair out on this one.
QUOTED IMAGE

I see no noise.. That's a good looking image to me.. Can you circle what you're talking about?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,168 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Joined May 2002

May 30, 2013 10:33 |  #9

So no sliders up and down in LR regarding exposure?

We need to see a 100% crop, so just go to your JPG, and lasso a small section roughly 800x800, crop it, and save as a new image, then upload to your reply.

This image looks a bit dark, but underexposure itself doesn't create the noise until you really bring the exposure back up digitally, which will then bring out the noise. If you did nothing but altered saturation/tone, and nothing else, then I am not sure why you would have noise at ISO 100. I have noiseless samples at ISO 400 from yesterday's shoot at the softball games, for example. I don't start to see noise until around ISO 800, and even then, it is very light.

As to your detail issue, that is all about your DOF and whether your gear is front or back focusing. You might have to MFA your lens, and then also make sure your aperture is small enough to get a full body inside the DOF.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

xzoup
21 posts
Joined Nov 2011

May 30, 2013 10:49 |  #10

The back ground does look a little disturbing maybe changing the aperture a stop might help. The guy looks ok, or take out that large patch of dark greeen to the right of the guy would help a lot.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,101 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 30, 2013 10:52 |  #11

As mentioned, 100% crops would help but looking over the pic, it seems that the sharpness might be a bit too aggressive. That would tend to highlight noise as well, even at low ISO.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Tommy1957
Goldmember
1,288 posts
Joined Apr 2013

May 30, 2013 10:55 |  #12

This is off a 60D at ISO 6400. I shot jpg and did some EC and CA removal. No noise modification besides in-camera Standard high-ISO noise removal. If I pixel-peep it looks like warmed-over crap. His mom is happy to have a nice shot of his last grade-school band concert. Stop pixel-peeping.

EDIT: It was also shot with a lens most people consider crap: 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 @ 210mm and f/5.6.

2n10
Cream of the Crop
17,066 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Sep 2012

May 30, 2013 10:58 |  #13

Tommy1957 wrote in post #15982543 (external link)
This is off a 60D at ISO 6400. I shot jpg and did some EC and CA removal. No noise modification besides in-camera Standard high-ISO noise removal. If I pixel-peep it looks like warmed-over crap. His mom is happy to have a nice shot of his last grade-school band concert. Stop pixel-peeping.

+1,000,000,000,000

John
Equipment
My Portfolio (external link)

skycolt
410 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 30, 2013 11:56 |  #14

Agreed to many people above. That photo looks very well

1D IV | converted 1000D | ever changing lenses
Flickr (external link)

kipliq
752 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 30, 2013 12:09 |  #15

I agree with Teamspeed and Read through TS posts about post processing. I think everyone that is trying to help needs shot of the noise your referring to at 100% crop. Are you pixel peeping? Every camera will give you noise.

"Space Mountain may be the oldest ride in the park, but it has the longest line." - Ric Flair

sponsored links

6,441 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D noise issues
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.