Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 May 2013 (Thursday) 06:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Going to Iceland, need tripod and head reco

light_pilgrim
922 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2012

May 30, 2013 06:29 |  #1

I have a benro carbon tripod and it is Ok. I used it in many places and recently in tuscany. Nothing to complain. I just do nit feel comfortable with the ballhead. I sometimes use 70-200II and need to be 100% certain it will be stable. I would also need to have a solution for panoramas. Ay suggestion?

www.lightpilgrim.com (external link) ||1x.com (external link) ||500px.com (external link)

sponsored links
pdrober2
Goldmember
2,318 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 30, 2013 07:05 |  #2

you'll have better luck posting this in the Accessories & Storage.

as for suggestions, we need to know how much you want to spend. otherwise people will recommend a $1500 setup because its the best :)

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23 | 27 | 56 | 90 | 55-200
Feedback

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

May 30, 2013 07:18 |  #3

What Benro legs do you have?

When I was in Iceland I used my Cullmann MB6.5 head on my Feisol 3441T. Very stable setup, had no issues in strong wind or in water. I've now changed the head to an RRS BH-40 and RRS L bracket which is even more stable (mostly due to the lack of squishy rubber padding on the camera plate, I think).

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

light_pilgrim
THREAD ­ STARTER
922 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 30, 2013 07:32 |  #4

So the L bracket.....why would people need one for Landscape? Just trying to undersyand:-)

www.lightpilgrim.com (external link) ||1x.com (external link) ||500px.com (external link)

pdrober2
Goldmember
2,318 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 30, 2013 07:56 |  #5

light_pilgrim wrote in post #15982035 (external link)
So the L bracket.....why would people need one for Landscape? Just trying to undersyand:-)

you only need it if you use portrait orientation frequently, which some do for landscape shots. i hardly ever shoot portrait, so i just have a regular RRS bracket (1/3 the price of the L)

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23 | 27 | 56 | 90 | 55-200
Feedback

light_pilgrim
THREAD ­ STARTER
922 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 30, 2013 08:01 |  #6

And why you need bracket? You need legs and a head...that is it, correct?

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 30, 2013 09:53 |  #7

light_pilgrim wrote in post #15982035 (external link)

It is useful for panoramas (at least when you don't have a pano head, which I don't). The camera in vertical position means you have more room for error for any vertical drift (so you take a single row, with more shots rather than 2 or 3 rows with fewer shots per row which I'll try explain using this pathetic diagram where each line represents a photo: ||||||| vs =====). As you can see, more room for vertical cropping/error in the first example.

I also like the centre of the image to stay in the same position when I rotate the camera to portrait rather than have to reframe the whole shot.

And I do take portrait orientation landscapes fairly often, so... :)

light_pilgrim wrote in post #15982096 (external link)
And why you need bracket? You need legs and a head...that is it, correct?

By bracket he means the quick release plate. You aren't going to get very much use out of your tripod head if you don't have a plate to fit into the clamp. An L bracket is a quick release plate that goes up the left side of your camera, forming an L shape in case you were confused about that too. :)

-Tom
Flickr (external link)

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

May 30, 2013 17:16 |  #8

Just curious which Benro head do you have? I have a MeFoto tripod/head(Benro's fashionable line) my head is the same as the Benros B1(I think the call Q2 and Q1 is like B0) head and I find quite stable for my 5dIII with 70-200.

*Jayrou
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

May 30, 2013 17:32 as a reply to  @ lovemyram4x4's post |  #9

Was in Iceland a few weeks ago, I have a Benro set up , I use the B2 head http://www.amazon.co.u​k …o02_s01_i01?ie=​UTF8&psc=1 (external link)

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 30, 2013 17:47 |  #10

Gitzo + Really Right Stuff = Never Buy Again

Gear List

light_pilgrim
THREAD ­ STARTER
922 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 31, 2013 02:16 |  #11

Very informative, thank you. I will try to figure out the best set up. I do not like having too much gear...so always think twice before I buy something. I do not have my Benro tripod with me now, so cannot check what tripod this is exactly. I know is it carbon as I wanted to travel light. Been to many-many places with it so far and it is OK. I have MKIII, so I have the electronic level. I will be doing panoramas and long exposure in Iceland for sure...so a sturdy set up is absolutely essential. It is the ball head that I am not so super convinced, but when I check RRS or Arca Swiss....I am not sure. To pay 300-500 USD for a ball head? Interesting:-)

Sirrith wrote in post #15982348 (external link)
It is useful for panoramas (at least when you don't have a pano head, which I don't). The camera in vertical position means you have more room for error for any vertical drift (so you take a single row, with more shots rather than 2 or 3 rows with fewer shots per row which I'll try explain using this pathetic diagram where each line represents a photo: ||||||| vs =====). As you can see, more room for vertical cropping/error in the first example.

I also like the centre of the image to stay in the same position when I rotate the camera to portrait rather than have to reframe the whole shot.

And I do take portrait orientation landscapes fairly often, so... :)

By bracket he means the quick release plate. You aren't going to get very much use out of your tripod head if you don't have a plate to fit into the clamp. An L bracket is a quick release plate that goes up the left side of your camera, forming an L shape in case you were confused about that too. :)

*Jayrou
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

May 31, 2013 02:36 |  #12

light_pilgrim wrote in post #15985070 (external link)
Very informative, thank you. I will try to figure out the best set up. I do not like having too much gear...so always think twice before I buy something. I do not have my Benro tripod with me now, so cannot check what tripod this is exactly. I know is it carbon as I wanted to travel light. Been to many-many places with it so far and it is OK. I have MKIII, so I have the electronic level. I will be doing panoramas and long exposure in Iceland for sure...so a sturdy set up is absolutely essential. It is the ball head that I am not so super convinced, but when I check RRS or Arca Swiss....I am not sure. To pay 300-500 USD for a ball head? Interesting:-)

The Benro B2 head I mentioned has 360 panoramic movement and scale , it holds up to 20KG/44lb , I've had my gripped 5DIII and 70-200 II attached with no worries, its a 3rd of the cost of some mentioned.

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

light_pilgrim
THREAD ­ STARTER
922 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 31, 2013 02:43 |  #13

*Jayrou wrote in post #15985089 (external link)
The Benro B2 head I mentioned has 360 panoramic movement and scale , it holds up to 12KG/26lb , I've had my gripped 5DIII and 70-200 II attached with no worries, its a 3rd of the cost of some mentioned.

I will check wich one I have. So probably the only thing I might need is the L bracket for Panoramas? Would I need to get an additional/different head if I will want to use the L bracket?

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 31, 2013 02:44 |  #14

light_pilgrim wrote in post #15985070 (external link)
To pay 300-500 USD for a ball head? Interesting:-)

Yes, it seems like a lot to me too (even though I've already done it!). But on the other hand, if you think about it, a good ballhead will outlast your other gear, and likely costs a lot less too. And it is vital for good long exposure shots (a bad ballhead will have far worse effect on your long exposures than a bad lens).

I hear good things about the Induro BHL2. That one is a bit under $300.

I don't like Benro heads myself, have tried several, and found that the movement was not as smooth as I'd like, and the knobs not very nice to handle.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)

light_pilgrim
THREAD ­ STARTER
922 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 31, 2013 02:49 |  #15

Sirrith wrote in post #15985094 (external link)
I don't like Benro heads myself, have tried several, and found that the movement was not as smooth as I'd like, and the knobs not very nice to handle.

I agree with you, but then...when money is something you still think about...then I try filter CRITICAL from NICE TO HAVE:-) So yes, Benro might not be best in class...I agree...but the only thing that interests me is whether I can get the job done with it.

sponsored links

1,587 views & 0 likes for this thread
Going to Iceland, need tripod and head reco
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.