Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 22 May 2013 (Wednesday) 16:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Any good reasons to use a ballhead on a monopod?

Tanglefoot47
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,413 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 24, 2013 21:57 |  #31

afoton wrote in post #15959266 (external link)
With the monopod on the ground, and one hand on the camera, supporting the top of the monopod, I don't need a hand on the monopod. So the free hand is using for locking the ball, exactly the same way as I would do with a tilt head.

Totally agree I never hold the monopod always the camera and lens

sponsored links
Tanglefoot47
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,413 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 24, 2013 21:59 |  #32

My thinking is loosen the tension up enough and you have freedom enough to move the camera in almost nay direction where a tilt head is up or down I will soon find out

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,043 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 24, 2013 23:24 |  #33

waterrockets wrote in post #15963195 (external link)
I have no head on my monopod, and have no desire to add one. I was surprised to see everyone uses them. A head would fill a much needed void on my monopod...

Maybe it's just based on what I shoot with it? Field sports...

I think that's the case,. the cast majority of big lens sports shooters in the sidelines use the bare monopod. Their not going to need to tilt up or down much :)

It was the Wildlife monopod users that really got RRS to design their tilting monopod head.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,043 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 24, 2013 23:27 |  #34

lilkngster wrote in post #15963306 (external link)
RRS has two versions, I think the difference is how easy it is to switch orientation (allen wrench vs fingers). Sirui cannot be rotated. Like CDS, I have a Sirui and very happy with it. The orientation of the clamp works fine if you use the lens' foot plate but does not work with an L plate. For the "heavier" lenses, I find it much easier to use when mouting the foot plate since it is closer to the center of gravity of the camera/lens combo, instead of mouting from the camera with all the weight going forward.

FYI, I have only ever used a Monopod with a lens plate. The "pod" is almost exclusively for long lens birding when I can't or won't take a tripod.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,931 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

May 25, 2013 10:23 |  #35

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #15965081 (external link)
I think that's the case,. the cast majority of big lens sports shooters in the sidelines use the bare monopod. Their not going to need to tilt up or down much :)

It was the Wildlife monopod users that really got RRS to design their tilting monopod head.

Makes sense.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

May 25, 2013 10:48 |  #36

gakoenig wrote in post #15958790 (external link)
A monopod IS a ballhead... just the diameter of the ball is like 5'

=)

You are seriously losing options with that monopod if you don't have a good head on it.

Why? Because you can "upgrade" your monopod to a tripod if you are a bit clever. But that also mean that you can often not aim the monopod in a good way and hence need a head on it to angle the camera as expected.

Don't ignore the great amount of extra stability you get when you correctly use yourself to form the other two legs of a full tripod.

Edit: A link never hurts: http://www.outdooreyes​.com/photo5.php3 (external link)

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

lilkngster
721 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

May 25, 2013 20:54 |  #37

How about this?

http://www.sirui-photo.us …ui-P-Monopods-Series.html (external link)

With the X series (scroll down), kinda ballhead with adjustable tension and supposed sturdy feet. If you add a good leveling base, looks like a potentially stable, usable, and extremely portable setup. I just dont know how much of a pain it would be needing an allen wrench to adjust the ballhead tension, i.e. set it and forget it or need to adjust to the scenario.

6dII/80d/1dIII|8mm to 400mm|Pro-10/100

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,144 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

May 25, 2013 21:26 |  #38

Tanglefoot47 wrote in post #15957685 (external link)
Thinking of giving this a try but was asked why a ballhead on a monopod and instead of a tilt head. So I would like to hear why you prefer a ballhead? I know there are many who use a ballhead on a monopod :D

Mike

I prefer light and compact when it comes to monopods.

I have never seen a ballhead used on a monopod in the real world. in fact, I have seldom seen tilt heads used in the real world.

I used a tilt head in Africa on safari in an open jeep. it was a $25 manfrotto which worked very well for me. these days I use just a RRS quick release.

getting back to your question. I can see no reason to use a ballhead and i can see some reasons to use a tilt head. I think most guys don't need either.

I use a benro CF monopod with RRS QR which weighs 1lb and is 17" long.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

Tanglefoot47
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,413 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 30, 2013 19:08 |  #39

Yesterday I got the Sirui K20 ballhead and I have to admit I am very pleased with it on the monopod. I like using it on the monopod much more than not having it

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,859 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

May 30, 2013 23:26 |  #40

I had the same feeling the first time I put a ballhead on my monopod.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
6,072 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

May 31, 2013 00:38 |  #41

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #15965083 (external link)
FYI, I have only ever used a Monopod with a lens plate. The "pod" is almost exclusively for long lens birding when I can't or won't take a tripod.

+1
Had the RRS tilt and sold it. Just a plate for me. Take a look at the pros at a sporting event, no balls, no tilts just a plate. Even seen some who fasten lens foot of collar directly to pod.

My Gear flickr (external link)

afoton
348 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 31, 2013 01:06 |  #42

Bianchi wrote in post #15984920 (external link)
+1
Had the RRS tilt and sold it. Just a plate for me. Take a look at the pros at a sporting event, no balls, no tilts just a plate. Even seen some who fasten lens foot of collar directly to pod.

As long as I do photographing myself, I am more interesting in adjusting my gear for my own needs, than trying to look like a pro at a sporting event.
I have tried my monopod without any head, with tilt only head and with a ball head. The ball head worked best for me, and that is what is important for me.

ScatterCr
384 posts
Joined May 2010

May 31, 2013 04:51 |  #43

I will limit my comments to the topic. My opinions are based on what I shoot the most... outdoor sports & wildlife with supertelephoto lenses. Here are the reasons why I would NEVER use a ballhead on a monopod:

a ballhead is just something else to fiddle with

adjustability provides no advantage on a horizontal plane

I abhor canted shots

straightening canted shots waists frame space

utilizing frame space efficiently improves image quality

for outdoor night events, my flash is mounted on my monopod ~17" below my lens

altering the relationship between the monopod & lens changes the vertical flash angle

my flash is always on target whether I'm in portrait or landscape orientation

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8324/8128636911_e08c6733bb_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/scattercreek/8​128636911/  (external link)
Double Team (external link) by ScatterCr (external link), on Flickr

Erik
Gear | flickr (external link)

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
6,072 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

May 31, 2013 09:50 |  #44

afoton wrote in post #15984970 (external link)
As long as I do photographing myself, I am more interesting in adjusting my gear for my own needs, than trying to look like a pro at a sporting event.
I have tried my monopod without any head, with tilt only head and with a ball head. The ball head worked best for me, and that is what is important for me.

Clarification:
Sounds like you may have read into what I said, as I do it because the pros do. Actually I dont use one because of the time it takes to fiddle with the ball/tilt. (adjust my gear for my own needs) As scatter commented, and the point I was trying to make the pros dont use it for the same reason. If they had to take the time to fiddle, they missed there shot, and I fill the same way, thats why I prefer no ball/tilt. It's much faster to adjust your pods angle.

However if your style of shooting allows for adjusting, then I can see no reason not to want to use a ball/tilt.

To each there own. Thers no wright or wrong, just preferences..

My Gear flickr (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,840 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

May 31, 2013 10:21 |  #45

ScatterCr wrote in post #15985194 (external link)
    for outdoor night events, my flash is mounted on my monopod ~17" below my lens

altering the relationship between the monopod & lens changes the vertical flash angle

my flash is always on target whether I'm in portrait or landscape orientation

Can you either take a photograph or otherwise provide details as to the way you attach your flash gun to your monopod? I think that is an interesting solution.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

sponsored links

8,691 views & 0 likes for this thread
Any good reasons to use a ballhead on a monopod?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.