Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 12 Feb 2013 (Tuesday) 16:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Back button focusing - When and why?

Oldschool1948
587 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2012

Apr 26, 2013 21:12 |  #76

Maureen Souza wrote in post #15629350 (external link)
Thank you so much, Tom. I will give it a whirl. Sounds good but I am afraid my 10 year old habits will die hard.:D

When you press the BBF button you have to hold it for a second or two so that AI Servo has time to lock on.

5DIII Gripped
AD360 | Canon 600EX-RT (x2) | 580EXII | L358
70-200 f4L IS | 24-70 f2.8L II | 50 f1.8 mk I | Tamron 150-600 G2
Canon Pro-10 Printer | Adobe LR6 | OnOne Raw

sponsored links
djrosen
39 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 23, 2013 14:33 as a reply to  @ Oldschool1948's post |  #77

In the T4i owners manual it recommends with AI Servo to use Automatic AF point selection and that it initially uses the center point to acquire focus (Page 96). When using BBF with AI Servo, would you still use Automatic AF Point selection or manually select only the center point?

Also in the custom function setup for BBF there are 3 BBF options available (page 297 of the manual). I am taking some pictures of birds both stationary and in flight and I am not sure which would be best for this.

Thank you for your responses.

Dan

EOS Rebel T4i, EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM , EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, Speedlite 430EXII, PowerShot G10

D ­ 550D
THREAD ­ STARTER
404 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 29, 2013 09:13 |  #78

LV Moose wrote in post #15603574 (external link)
Does pushing the shutter release halfway, have any affect when using the back button? Can you have it depressed halfway in preparation?

I belive half press does Exporsure Lock.

http://domenulbl.blogs​pot.com/ (external link)
550D|Sigma 18-35 1.8 Art|Sigma EX 70-200 OS|Nifty Fifty|Samyang 85 1.4|430 EX II|

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 29, 2013 10:09 |  #79

D 550D wrote in post #15978916 (external link)

Depends on settings. My 7D is currently set up for half press being metering only, but exposure lock would be another function. (At least as far as I can tell. I don't use any of the auto modes often)

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

May 29, 2013 18:30 |  #80

djrosen wrote in post #15960507 (external link)
In the T4i owners manual it recommends with AI Servo to use Automatic AF point selection and that it initially uses the center point to acquire focus (Page 96). When using BBF with AI Servo, would you still use Automatic AF Point selection or manually select only the center point?

Also in the custom function setup for BBF there are 3 BBF options available (page 297 of the manual). I am taking some pictures of birds both stationary and in flight and I am not sure which would be best for this.

Thank you for your responses.

You'd use whatever AF point selection for BBF as you'd use to shutter button AF all that would change is which button starts/stops AF.

As for if you should a single point or use auto selection, most cases it's best to select a single(or expansion if your camera has the feature). BIF with sky as a the background is one of the few times I'd use auto selection because there's nothing else for it try to focus on(that fact that it picks what normally closest and easiest to focus on more often than is not what you want it focus on) that way if you can't track it perfectly and it's moving in/out of the focal plain another point can keep it focus. On my 1dIV I sometimes use 45 point expansion(functions similar to auto selection) for BIF with only sky in the background, it actually lights which point that it's using to focus so I know it's using the correct ones. For busy back grounds(trees, ground, water, etc) I select a single point or one of the smaller expansions(depending on the size of the subject int he frame and how hard it is to track).

I'm not familiar with the T4i manual/menu but what you want to set is for shutter to be meter only and AF-ON(or which ever button you want BBF on) to start AF.

D 550D wrote in post #15978916 (external link)

Mine are set to half press meter start and * exposure hold(not lock).

nathan549
155 posts
Joined Feb 2013

May 30, 2013 09:06 |  #81

Does anyone change back to normal focusing? i use BBF and i shoot mainly fashion and portraiture i just find it really comfortable haha. i see no advantage at all of using the regular shutter half press focusing over bbf. So mine is permanently on BBF

Canon 60D - 24-70mm 2.8 L II - 70-200mm 2.8 L IS II - Speedlight 600 ex-rt - Broncolor Move 1200L pack + A2L pack + MobiLED flash head

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Joined Mar 2013

May 30, 2013 13:12 |  #82

nathan549 wrote in post #15982255 (external link)
Does anyone change back to normal focusing? i use BBF and i shoot mainly fashion and portraiture i just find it really comfortable haha. i see no advantage at all of using the regular shutter half press focusing over bbf. So mine is permanently on BBF

I don't switch back, but I have my custom mode for underwater set so the AF is linked to both, I use BBF to first get focus(prevent inadvertent full press of shutter-which I have a couple reason I don't want that to happen) but if I'm in heavy surge or current I might not be able to keep my distance steady so when I pull the shutter lever it can focus again imediately prior to the shutter action. I don't use AI servo becasue the bodies I use for UW lack focus confirm in that mode.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,667 posts
Gallery: 175 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 30, 2013 13:25 |  #83

I only switch back on the rarest of occasions. ( tethered shooting, If I want to use my Galaxy NoteII to control AF for instance)

I just spent two days with a used camera I thought could not be configured to BBF (I was wrong thankfully) and I have to say, every single shot started with me pressing the * AE Lock button, wondering why it wasn't focusing, and then moving on! Lather Rinse Repeat..

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)
-EOS 1DX 2 For Sale- $2,950.00

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,667 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 30, 2013 13:26 |  #84

We have been doing this before there was even an 'AF-ON' button

Oh yes,. very much so!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,667 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 30, 2013 13:28 |  #85

yogestee wrote in post #15633891 (external link)
Likewise. I use my thumb to scroll through my focus points and change aperture or exposure compensation.

So do I, but this in no way prevents me from using my thumb to focus as well.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,518 posts
Gallery: 154 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

May 30, 2013 13:40 |  #86

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #15983073 (external link)
So do I, but this in no way prevents me from using my thumb to focus as well.

So true, Jake.

I often see people say that they don't use BBF because they need their thumbs for other things. But as you say, using your thumb to activate the * button does not in any way mean that you can't use it to scroll the wheel dial, or use the joystick. It's not like there is ever a need to do both at precisely the same instant.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Joined Mar 2013

May 30, 2013 13:59 |  #87

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #15983066 (external link)
I only switch back on the rarest of occasions. ( tethered shooting, If I want to use my Galaxy NoteII to control AF for instance)

I just spent two days with a used camera I thought could not be configured to BBF (I was wrong thankfully) and I have to say, every single shot started with me pressing the * AE Lock button, wondering why it wasn't focusing, and then moving on! Lather Rinse Repeat..

Wait I take it back I do switch back, but rarely. Tethering and remote self portrait(if it's a group I'll just pre-focus and then join).

Tom Reichner wrote in post #15983101 (external link)
So true, Jake.

I often see people say that they don't use BBF because they need their thumbs for other things. But as you say, using your thumb to activate the * button does not in any way mean that you can't use it to scroll the wheel dial, or use the joystick. It's not like there is ever a need to do both at precisely the same instant.

I guess these people can't adjsut anything with the main dial because they need their index finger for AF/meter/shutter.

I do get the small few that are constantly moving AF points around and that's about all they do with their thumb might not like having to move it over to the other button. I can't think of anything I'd be shooting that I'd need to move the AF point that much.

Anyway, I personal have no issue using my thumb to pick an AF point, adjust my aperture, turn Ae hold on, push the set button to change ISO and still focus with it, while at the same also use my index finger to start metering, change shutter, change ISO and actuate the shutter to actually take a photo.

D ­ 550D
THREAD ­ STARTER
404 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 30, 2013 15:27 as a reply to  @ post 15603273 |  #88

Plus when someone else uses the camera they wonder what the f*** is going on [/QUOTE
wrote:

=
Plus when someone else uses the camera they wonder what the f*** is going on :lol:

That's the cool part of it. And then you can play the wise guy on them and show them how its' done :D

http://domenulbl.blogs​pot.com/ (external link)
550D|Sigma 18-35 1.8 Art|Sigma EX 70-200 OS|Nifty Fifty|Samyang 85 1.4|430 EX II|

Preeb
Goldmember
2,605 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

May 30, 2013 19:41 |  #89

I have my custom setting for normal focus for when I'm on a tripod with a remote and I need the AF function. Otherwise it's always BBF now.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

nathan549
155 posts
Joined Feb 2013

May 31, 2013 01:19 |  #90

Preeb wrote in post #15984209 (external link)
I have my custom setting for normal focus for when I'm on a tripod with a remote and I need the AF function. Otherwise it's always BBF now.

I remember when i first started using BBF and i tried to take a photo with a remote. i was trying to work out what was going on and why it wasn't focusing, then it clicked. hahaha :lol:

Canon 60D - 24-70mm 2.8 L II - 70-200mm 2.8 L IS II - Speedlight 600 ex-rt - Broncolor Move 1200L pack + A2L pack + MobiLED flash head

sponsored links

12,464 views & 0 likes for this thread
Back button focusing - When and why?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.