Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 29 May 2013 (Wednesday) 23:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which lens to take to Italy

RodneyCyr
616 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 30, 2013 12:48 |  #16

My wife and I spent four days in Rome last fall - most of them at the Vatican. On my 60D I used mostly my 15-85. Had that been my only lens, I would have been satisfied. But I did use my 10-22 a few times, and even my 70-300 for a few ceiling shots inside St. Peter's Basilica.

Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 10-22EFs, 15-85EFS IS, Sigma 18-300, Canon 60mm EFs Macro, Rokinon 8mm fisheye, 550EX flash, Olympus TG2 underwater P&S
Postprocessing: DxOLabs, DxO Viewpoint 3, Paint Shop Pro X9
Speak softly and carry a big zoom.

sponsored links
Orogeny
976 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Aug 2003

May 31, 2013 07:37 |  #17

I honestly think that your 5DIII + 24-105 will be used almost all of the time. The 17-40 will be used, but if it were me taking the photos, it would mostly be in the bag. The thing is, everyone is different in the way we shoot. If I get a chance to return to Europe and I don't upgrade my equipment by then, I will be happy with my 7D and Sigma 17-70 OS which gives me roughly the same coverage as the 24-105 on the 5DIII. My personal wish would be to have something longer, maybe the 70-200 f/4 IS. I absolutely love the detail you see in those magnificent churches and would love to be able to capture them in detail.

Make sure you have a nice travel tripod. You can't use it in a lot of places, but it comes in very handy for night shots (which can be incredible) and for getting you and your wife in the same photo with an awesome background.

Tim

There's someone in my head, but it's not me! - Roger Waters

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/orogeny/ (external link)

4g63photo
Goldmember
2,742 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 31, 2013 09:52 |  #18

My wife and I were in Italy about 3 or 4 weeks ago. We visited Rome, Venice, Pisa, and Florence. We flew from Rome to Venice. Then we made our way back to Rome via train. I took tons of pictures. Never did I miss the 70-200. The most used was 17-40, 24-105. After a while the 24-105 just stayed on. I do recommend some filters if you have them. A polarizer for sure. The only other lens i took was the 85mm 1.8. I used it once inside the vatican when the 24-105 was just too slow. I did take a flash to overpower the sun for our tourist portraits. I think next time i would take the 24-105 and 50mm ish fast prime. I was shooting with a 5dmk3.

-Fernando-
Gear List
Flickr (external link)

4g63photo
Goldmember
2,742 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 31, 2013 09:53 |  #19

framedinaustin wrote in post #15982887 (external link)
I'm leaving for Florence in a few weeks and decided to take my 17-40, 24-105, and 85 1.8 (I like taking pictures of my family inside of churches). I think these lenses will give me all the range I need. I'm also guessing I'll be using the 17-40 the most.

Ahhh! Great minds!

-Fernando-
Gear List
Flickr (external link)

light_pilgrim
922 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2012

May 31, 2013 12:20 |  #20

I think that taking pictures of family in churches in Italy is no different from how you will do it in other countries. Ideally it is better to say what you will photograph in italy and where exactly in italy...it will limit the number of irrelevant replies:-)

www.lightpilgrim.com (external link) ||1x.com (external link) ||500px.com (external link)

Bill ­ Emmett
201 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 03, 2013 11:32 |  #21

When my wife, and I decided to go on a Med cruise 2 years ago, I had a full bag of all sorts of "Kit" lenses for my Canon 50D. I decided to sell the "kit" stuff and buy just one lens for a walk-around-lens for the trip. I looked at Canon, but they just didn't have the range to make use of just one lens. I decided on the Tamron 18-270mm with VC. It worked just fine except the 18mm end was not wide enough. It seems while in Rome, the streets and ped. malls were to narrow, and the 18mm end was not wide enough to get the entire shot. Also, the fountains and churches seem to be crowded together with tourist stores etc, on both sides of the little streets. So, I would definitely take a ultra wide angle lens on that 40D, like a 10-22mm. At the forums or larger openings use a mid range zoom on your 5D. Remember in Rome, most all the outside building are white marble, with marble pavers, so a good ND filter set is a good idea for those bright days at noon or later. Be prepared for crowds, everywhere. In St. Peters, there is very little light, and no flash, so take lenses that have a good low light ability. 2.8 is OK, but your 50mm 1.8 is the best in this church. Be prepared to stand in line at the Vatican, take a liter of water with you in a backpack, with your lens selection for the trip. After the Vatican, you may want to swing to the Collusium, it will also take hours to get through it. You will need the self-guided tour phone. Here you will need the mid-range zoom, and the Ultra wide angle. Outside of the Collusium is some of the oldest ruins in Rome, so take a walk around and see the old pagan temples. Have a great trip, and be ready to do lots of PP.

New Canon EOS 5D Mark IV, Canon EOS 7D Mark II, Canon EOS 50D, Canon 7D Classic, Canon 6D, Canon EF 70-200 f4L USM with IS, Canon 40mm pancake, Canon EF 50mm 1.8, Canon EF-S 10-22mm wide angle, Canon EF-S 18-135 IS STM, Canon EF 100mm 2.8L USM Macro, Tamron 18-270mm Dii VC, Tamron SP 150-600mm VC, Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC USM, Canon EF 16-35 f2.8L II USM, Tamron 2X Tele-Extender, 1.4 Tele-extender

light_pilgrim
922 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jun 03, 2013 14:42 |  #22

So this was taken during my recent trip to Italy and I used 70-200 exclusively.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

www.lightpilgrim.com (external link) ||1x.com (external link) ||500px.com (external link)

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,665 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 03, 2013 15:21 |  #23

Yes, if you like Tuscan landscapes, a long telephoto may be a good thing. But having been in Italy a few times, including two weeks visiting small Tuscan villages, I would definitely say that a normal zoom plus an ultrawide are much more critical. You will spend most of your time either in big old cities, like Rome or Florence, and small villages, something like San Gimignano or Arezzo, or many others. Both will be asking for wide. If you are going to visit typical Italian tourist places, the 70-200 will mostly be useless. And take into consideration the fact that you are going to walk all day long. The weight of the 70-200 will be next to unbearable by the end of the day.

Of course some folks will object that on the basis that I do not know what you are going to shoot. In fact, when I advised somebody on POTN what to take to London, somebody said that he knew a person who wanted to shoot hawks in that city. Well, if that's the case, please ask somebody who does that! :-)

On hour long line at the Colosseum and the Vatican:

Almost as soon as you get in line, there will be people asking for those who would like to join an English speaking tours of the places. Just do it! It costs about $10 more than a regular ticket, and the tour will be fairly short, but it will save you hours of standing in those lines. You will have all the time you want in those museums. I did that, and it saved us a lot of time that I usually do not have.

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

L.J.G.
"Not brigth enough"
10,463 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 03, 2013 15:26 |  #24

Seriously, do not go to Italy without a UWA, it can't be any simpler than that!

Lloyd
Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
Gear Flick (external link)r

light_pilgrim
922 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jun 03, 2013 15:29 |  #25

L.J.G. wrote in post #15995850 (external link)
Seriously, do not go to Italy without a UWA, it can't be any simpler than that!

I was there and just do not imagine why would I use it. I had 24-105 and was surprised to use it only 10% of the time whereas I used 70-200 most of the time. I would say that I would come back empy handed if I would not take 70-200 with me.

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,665 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 03, 2013 15:37 |  #26

light_pilgrim wrote in post #15995865 (external link)
I was there and just do not imagine why would I use it. I had 24-105 and was surprised to use it only 10% of the time whereas I used 70-200 most of the time. I would say that I would come back empy handed if I would not take 70-200 with me.

I am not challenging you in any way, just curious:

Earlier you posted amazing images of Tuscany countryside. What else did you shoot in Italy? How did you manage to shoot on very narrow streets of small towns? Or even in large cities, where the buildings are huge, and not much room to back up? Or inside the Colosseum?

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

light_pilgrim
922 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jun 03, 2013 22:17 |  #27

Lbsimon wrote in post #15995887 (external link)
I am not challenging you in any way, just curious:

Earlier you posted amazing images of Tuscany countryside. What else did you shoot in Italy? How did you manage to shoot on very narrow streets of small towns? Or even in large cities, where the buildings are huge, and not much room to back up? Or inside the Colosseum?

I went to Italy.....not the tourist version of it with thousands of people all over the place. I will share some of the in town shots....taken with 70-200, but I am only interested either in people or landscapes.

Preeb
Goldmember
2,535 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 04, 2013 00:03 |  #28

light_pilgrim wrote in post #15997070 (external link)
I went to Italy.....not the tourist version of it with thousands of people all over the place. I will share some of the in town shots....taken with 70-200, but I am only interested either in people or landscapes.

And there is the answer. You are not interested in what draws 95% of the people who go to Italy. Americans don't have those amazing 12th century monasteries and 15th century cathedrals. We don't have the fortified hilltop villages and castles which require wide to ultra wide lenses to get a decent result. These are special places to us, and when we have maybe one or two chances for such a trip, we have to take major advantage of the opportunity.

My wife and I visited Venice, Milan, Florence, a week in Tuscany which included 2 days off the beaten track with a local custom tour guide, and a day and a half on the Cinque Terra. Most stops I shot from wide to normal, rarely any telephoto. Shots like this one from a 12th century monastery on the shore of Lake Maggiore needed wider than I had available, but I still had to record something for the memories.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i575.photobucke​t.com …Monastery_zps4c​162d4b.jpg (external link)

Rick
60D - EF-S 10-22 f3.5-f4.5 -- EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS -- EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

paul-t
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 04, 2013 00:33 |  #29

Yep as been said take the 17-40L, you need a uwa. I go to Italy once a year at least, and always take a longer lens, either 80-200L or more often than not my 35-350L, but this depends on what I'm shooting and were. But whatever you take with you, lots of cards are a most. Enjoy your trip.

light_pilgrim
922 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jun 04, 2013 01:33 |  #30

I certainly understand and it is very-very normal:-) I have been to Venice twice and hopefully never again, been to Rome for 1 day and will need to find a way how to get to Italy and avoid Rome:-) Been to Milan, Florence and other cities too - all you see is millions of tourists, all you eat is a food for tourists and you really do not get the flavor of real Italy. BUT, I fully-fully understand why people want to go there and why people want to see all these places. I have to admit that I would also love to see these places if not for millions of tourists around. It kills the atmosphere...all these shops with gifts, long lines, food that has nothing to do with Italy, etc.

So I decided to see the real Italy and visit places that Italians visit, eat the food that Italians cook for themselves, etc and it was the best trip of my life. Tuscany is so amazing and you have all these amazing towns such as Pienza, Monticello, Montepulciano, etc. They are not overly advertised, but when you see them...you really do not want to go back to Siena or even Florence.

So yes...if you photograph churches - then you need...ideally...an UWA and F/1.4 if possible and MKIII for high ISO:-)

It is just the original posts did not give any hint where in Italy...or what is going to be photographed.

We stated close to Monticiello and we wanted to wake up in the morning and see the beauty of the Tuscan Landscape. This is the view from our Village and this is something that I could not believe that I can see every day when I was there:

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Preeb wrote in post #15997354 (external link)
And there is the answer. You are not interested in what draws 95% of the people who go to Italy. Americans don't have those amazing 12th century monasteries and 15th century cathedrals. We don't have the fortified hilltop villages and castles which require wide to ultra wide lenses to get a decent result. These are special places to us, and when we have maybe one or two chances for such a trip, we have to take major advantage of the opportunity.

My wife and I visited Venice, Milan, Florence, a week in Tuscany which included 2 days off the beaten track with a local custom tour guide, and a day and a half on the Cinque Terra. Most stops I shot from wide to normal, rarely any telephoto. Shots like this one from a 12th century monastery on the shore of Lake Maggiore needed wider than I had available, but I still had to record something for the memories.

sponsored links

9,017 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which lens to take to Italy
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.