Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Mar 2013 (Tuesday) 02:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 6D - Best Focusing Method?

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 31, 2013 04:12 |  #61

whothafunk wrote in post #15983458 (external link)
In football, when subjects are running directly towards me, then the AI Servo cant keep up, even if I half press it to focus and full press the shutter button in a split second.

Shooting MotoGP and F1 I have found that the longer I let the camera "see" the subject, the better the result. It seems to need time to figure out the approach speed and know what refocusing it needs to be doing. That's with my old 30D and Eos-3 as well as my current 5D2. I can only imagine how difficult it is doing those calculations for a toddler who is hardly working at a constant speed. I'd be very tempted to use another method, not AI Servo, in that case.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

sponsored links
apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,968 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2007

May 31, 2013 06:47 |  #62

whothafunk wrote in post #15983458 (external link)
...the AI Servo cant keep up, even if I half press it to focus and full press the shutter button in a split second. <snip> I believe it is an entry level DSLR problem.

Sounds more like an entry level user issue. To make the best out of the predictive algorithms used by these cameras, do give them a fair chance to collect some data about the subject's movements before you press the trigger button all the way. By first half-pressing, then holding it there for some time before finally taking the picture, the camera is given more data to base its prediction of the subject's speed upon. Anything from half a second and upwards will aid the camera here.
Keeping the trigger button at half-press, without neither letting go or pressing too hard can be difficult in certain circumstances, but that's what the AF-ON button is for, or back button focusing in general, for cameras lacking the AF-ON button.

Anders

i-G12
Wat?
1,707 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Feb 2011

May 31, 2013 09:38 |  #63

jocau wrote in post #15705657 (external link)
Check out this Canon Autofocus Tutorial:

1) Part 1: *CLICK (external link)*
2) Part 2: *CLICK (external link)*
3) Part 3: *CLICK (external link)*

It's rather old, but the principles are still true. They also compare crosstype vs non-crosstype AF points.

Great links thanks.

In listening to the speaker I think I heard him to say that if you are using AI Servo that the points selection should be set to Automatic. The focus should then be on the center point and if the subject moves AI Servo will select one of the other AF points...did I hear that correctly?

I usually shoot in One Shot and manually select the center point for focus as opposed to Auto Selection focus points.

whothafunk
156 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 31, 2013 12:06 |  #64

apersson850 wrote in post #15985325 (external link)
Sounds more like an entry level user issue. To make the best out of the predictive algorithms used by these cameras, do give them a fair chance to collect some data about the subject's movements before you press the trigger button all the way. By first half-pressing, then holding it there for some time before finally taking the picture, the camera is given more data to base its prediction of the subject's speed upon. Anything from half a second and upwards will aid the camera here.
Keeping the trigger button at half-press, without neither letting go or pressing too hard can be difficult in certain circumstances, but that's what the AF-ON button is for, or back button focusing in general, for cameras lacking the AF-ON button.

Tried that. Not working, since they don't usually run in one direction for several seconds, they dribble and change course extremely fast, if you aren't familiar with sports (football in that matter). I don't shoot 3rd league or kindergarten, but 1st (best) league.

And sorry, I can't believe it people here are trying to say that SPORT dslrs (or rather, DSLR meant for sport photography) dont offer a faster focus, just more FPS and more reliable AF (selection).

1DX :: 300mm 2.8L IS USM :: 70-200 f2.8L IS USM II :: 8-15L f4 USM fisheye :: 24-70 2.8L USM :: 1.4x III extender :: Tamron 15-30 f2.8 VC

[Hyuni]
Goldmember
1,186 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 31, 2013 13:38 |  #65

I find the 6D AF to be quite accurate and fast, but that's coming from a 5D2.

The best part IMO, is the customization. I prefer the back button focusing method, but also I keep it on one-shot focusing so I get the beep confirmation. In addition, I set the DoF preview button to switch from one-shot to AI-Servo when held down with the focusing button.

What that allows me to do is to not have to fiddle with the top buttons and switch between one-shot and AI-Servo which (when using my 5D2) I would have to take my eye away from the viewfinder and potentially miss the shot. This dramatically increased my keeper rate!

For those who have the 6D, give it a try, I bet you'll like it!

6D Rokinon 14 f/2.8 l EF 35 ƒ1.4L l EF 135 ƒ2.0L l EF 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II l YN460 l 580EX II l Flick'd (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,686 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 31, 2013 15:40 |  #66

whothafunk wrote in post #15986166 (external link)
Tried that. Not working, since they don't usually run in one direction for several seconds, they dribble and change course extremely fast, if you aren't familiar with sports (football in that matter). I don't shoot 3rd league or kindergarten, but 1st (best) league.

And sorry, I can't believe it people here are trying to say that SPORT dslrs (or rather, DSLR meant for sport photography) dont offer a faster focus, just more FPS and more reliable AF (selection).

shoot a little wider and crop in post. You'll get more DOF and still be able to maintain shutter. No matter how good the lens is, there will be limitations, and a runner going full speed at you is pushing the limitations. Even though the 5D2 is considered to be the slowest focusing camera on earth, I can manage capturing sports in focus fairly easily.

Just dont shoot so tight and crop afterwards.

maybe your issue has more to do with acquiring focus lock.... if that's the case, a higher end body will help.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,686 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 31, 2013 15:43 |  #67

[Hyuni wrote:
='[Hyuni];15986430']I find the 6D AF to be quite accurate and fast, but that's coming from a 5D2.

The best part IMO, is the customization. I prefer the back button focusing method, but also I keep it on one-shot focusing so I get the beep confirmation. In addition, I set the DoF preview button to switch from one-shot to AI-Servo when held down with the focusing button.

What that allows me to do is to not have to fiddle with the top buttons and switch between one-shot and AI-Servo which (when using my 5D2) I would have to take my eye away from the viewfinder and potentially miss the shot. This dramatically increased my keeper rate!

For those who have the 6D, give it a try, I bet you'll like it!

that's not very different from the 5D2... just use back button on AI-Server until focus lock, and shoot. Only time it's on one shot is probably when it's on my tripod.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

whothafunk
156 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 31, 2013 17:13 |  #68

Charlie wrote in post #15986788 (external link)
maybe your issue has more to do with acquiring focus lock.... if that's the case, a higher end body will help.

Yes, that's what I am trying to tell. Apparently I need to learn these english terms.

I am asking if a 6D is any better at that compared to Rebels.

Also, isn't a 5D2 known for its best center focus point?

1DX :: 300mm 2.8L IS USM :: 70-200 f2.8L IS USM II :: 8-15L f4 USM fisheye :: 24-70 2.8L USM :: 1.4x III extender :: Tamron 15-30 f2.8 VC

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 01, 2013 03:39 |  #69

whothafunk wrote in post #15987055 (external link)
Also, isn't a 5D2 known for its best center focus point?

Its known to have only the centre point pretty much. Don't know about it being the best, what are we comparing it with?

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

sponsored links

40,806 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 6D - Best Focusing Method?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.