Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 31 May 2013 (Friday) 07:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

newbie into wildlife

Aydee
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined May 2013

May 31, 2013 07:07 |  #1

Hi guys,
my first post here. Apologies if this post is in the wrong place

I always been into wildlife, as an enthusiast and a casual photographer. Now in my 50s, I have developed a new passion for taking it a little more seriously. I recently went to Ranthambore, India and shot some tigers in the scrubland with a Canon markII and a 100 400mm which I borrowed for the trip, with some decent results. I wasnt using a tripod ( bouncy safari jeep didnt help ). I also felt more comfortable using the gear hand held under the circumstances.

On my return, I got some feedback from some wildlife pros and was given to understand that my gear was wrong to begin with, and that what I should have be shooting with is a Canon 1dx, 500mm prime, 70 200, tripods with fancy attachments etc. They showed me some of their pics, which were way sharper if not better composed aesthetically.

Now to me, all of this seems too much of a jump from being a point and shoot guy to lugging thousands of dollars worth of pro equipment, though I do want to pursue getting much better.

I figured Id start with the camera that I already have ( 5D mark 2 ) and a lens which most photogs agree is a 'must have' -the Canon70 200 2.8 IS2. I've also bought myself a 1.4x series III extender.

The question I have from the more experienced guys here is that I have another opportunity to return to Ranthambore this winter, so is my gear adequate? Is what I have, better than the 100 400 that I used the first time around?

I cant afford to buy, borrow rent anything else at the moment. The idea of too much gear/weight also intimidates me somewhat, at my age,..

Any advice, immediate or for the future is much appreciated.

Thanks, y'all have a fabulous forum.

Abe

sponsored links
TJays
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2013

May 31, 2013 13:32 |  #2

You have nice equipment (camera lens) i'd just say you need practice at shooting and that 100-400 is a good lens. So get out at practice shooting with what you have now...

Regards
Terri Jean

5D4 Gripped-EOS 1DX Markll -600mm/4.0 II L-35-350mm/3.5 L-70-200/2.8 L-24-70mm/2.8 L-85mm/1.2 II L-50mm/1.2 L

Aydee
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined May 2013

May 31, 2013 23:44 |  #3

Here's a sample of a hand held shot of the canon 100/400 5.6 at about 300mm. It appears very soft to me.

Is it the lens? is it the fact that it was hand held ?( the light was that great either, we were in a shadowy part of the forest )

Maybe its because Im a newbie and not at the top of my game with shutterspeed/ap/ISo ratios?

Please feel free to rip it apart.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

butterfly2937
Cream of the Crop
7,086 posts
Gallery: 269 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

May 31, 2013 23:50 as a reply to  @ Aydee's post |  #4

A faster shutter speed like 1/800 or higher if possible would have helped allot. Just bump up the ISO and use a higher shutter speed. That would have helped allot.

BigSkyKen
128 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 31, 2013 23:57 |  #5

It does look a little soft to me, too. That is my experience with the EF 100-400 L in low light/low contrast situations. It is the lens I love to hate! It was virtually married to my 7D for several years, but when I got a 1D4 and EF 400 f/2.8 L, I thought I wouldn't use it anymore, so I sold mine. The keeper rate on the 400 is so much better, but that lens is certainly not a walk-around lens to be used for spontaneous shooting. So, I bought another 100-400, and it is just like the first. Low keeper rate in low light and poor contrast, but a great walk-around lens.

BigSkyKen
Wildlife & Nature Blog @ His Creation (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
19,169 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 01, 2013 00:03 |  #6

How much of a crop is this from the original shot?

- A lot of the problem I see here is the light; it's just tough to get good colors and all in such heavy shadows
- There's a bunch of stuff between you and the subject; it looks like focus caught on the grass stems in front of the cat, rather than the cat itself
- With this low of light, I'd open up the aperture fully and up the shutter speed a bit more
- Some improvement can be had here just by "warming" it up a bit with a white balance change

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Aydee
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined May 2013

Jun 01, 2013 00:52 |  #7

Thanks guys, this is really helpful.

@Snydremark- This is cropped in a little- maybe 20% or so. Thanks for a great critique and tips.

@ BigskyKen- I share your feelings about this lens, but I too love the idea of a carry around lens. I see you have a 70 200 2.8. How do think that, with a 1.4x extender would have handled this shot? A lot better?

@Butterfly2937- Thanks for the tip. My issue at this point is not really knowing how much is too much or too little. I guess, it just takes time, practice experience...

@ Thanks T Jay

Here's another one of the same tigress in another area of the jungle.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

please do critique this as well. Thanks

PS- woops, this pic is teeny. Tried reformatting for this forum but I went too far? Its 156 KB ?

BigSkyKen
128 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 01, 2013 00:58 |  #8

My 70-200 with the 1.4 TC coupled with my 5D2 would have done a better job, but on my 7D wouldn't have been a great improvement. Haven't used that combination with the 1D4 yet, but would guess it will work very well.

After I got the 400mm, and my keeper rate went through the roof, I convinced myself that I had been using a "bad copy" of the 100-400 lens for years. After all, I was at least the third or fourth owner, and purchased it off Craigslist. So, when I decided to get another one, I bought it brand-spanking new...and had exactly the same results :( My best advice is to learn its limitations, and have a fall back plan (ie., 70-200) to use when conditions preclude satisfactory results from the 100-400. Just my opinion.

***By the way, I do really like the tiger composition and, so long as you don't print it in large format, it will still be pretty usable!

BigSkyKen
Wildlife & Nature Blog @ His Creation (external link)

Aydee
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined May 2013

Jun 01, 2013 04:58 |  #9

Cheers, thanks Ken. My feeling is that it works best at a 300 focal length.. but overall not nearly as sharp as my new 70 200 2.8, or some of the shots my friends have taken with Canon 500 primes. Going to try and enjoy what i have until I can rob a bank and get me a 500 : )

SJC ­ from ­ VT
Cream of the Crop
7,210 posts
Gallery: 153 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 01, 2013 05:15 |  #10

One of the easiest ways to share your pictures on this site, is to host them on Flickr. That way you can pick the size that you want to share, and you don't have to resize...Flickr does it automatically.

*Sandy* "If we all had positive attitudes...we could change the world"
7D ll and 60D plus some other stuff! My Flickr http://flic.kr/ps/FEPL​p (external link)

Aydee
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined May 2013

Jun 01, 2013 05:34 |  #11

SJC from VT wrote in post #15988388 (external link)
One of the easiest ways to share your pictures on this site, is to host them on Flickr. That way you can pick the size that you want to share, and you don't have to resize...Flickr does it automatically.

Thanks SJC, will try that. Saw yours.. awesome birds!

SJC ­ from ­ VT
Cream of the Crop
7,210 posts
Gallery: 153 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 01, 2013 08:34 |  #12

Aydee wrote in post #15988407 (external link)
Thanks SJC, will try that. Saw yours.. awesome birds!

Your welcome...and thank you! Flickr has made some changes to their format lately, so if you need any help...holler!

*Sandy* "If we all had positive attitudes...we could change the world"
7D ll and 60D plus some other stuff! My Flickr http://flic.kr/ps/FEPL​p (external link)

sponsored links

898 views & 0 likes for this thread
newbie into wildlife
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.