Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
Thread started 29 May 2013 (Wednesday) 17:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Before & After #474

Fuhrtographer
586 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008

May 29, 2013 17:47 |  #1

The game will last 7 Days and whoever can produce the best edited image (as judged by me) will be picked and it'll be their turn to post their unedited picture for all of us to take a crack at.

The participants must have their "Image Editing OK" turned on and they must provide at least a simple breakdown of how they edited the image, some entrants are a little vague on this point, please give us all details so we can learn and share tips. For instance if you use the unsharp mask tool or Smart Sharpen, provide us with the adjustments you used so others can try them out.

You can post multiple images, but the first image you post will be the one that is judged - all other images will be considered for knowledge and tip use only.
Feel free to comment and/or ask questions at any time. This is a good competition for learning new methods, so let's make it a bit more dynamic. I will be judging edits, not comments. Feel free to comment on the original image as well.

If you happen to be the winner of the game please start the next one with the title of the game and the following number. For example…the next game should read "Before & After #475".

Submissions end, Wednesday, June 5th, 2013 at 5:00 PM GMT-5 (USA Central time) and a winner will be announced.

Good Luck and have fun!

Here's the RAW File for those who would like one to work with.
Raw file (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i187.photobucke​t.com …/x176/1967rs/IM​G_3752.jpg (external link)

Fuhrtographer's Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
robbyh
190 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 01, 2013 16:34 |  #2

Here is my attempt. No real major editing.

My process , brought it into lightroom, lowered the temp to a colder setting. increased exposure a tad, turned contrast way down to mellow it out, clarity was set high, then just played with the tone curve a little to taste.

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3800/8917006972_f3aba8378f_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/94933936@N05/8​917006972/  (external link)
IMG_3752 (external link) by RH-Images (external link), on Flickr

Flickr (external link)
500px (external link)
6D, 24-105 f/4 L | YN 565 |

NigelD
Cream of the Crop
6,568 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 02, 2013 13:03 |  #3

Opened in ACR and adjusted exposure, clarity and vibrance. Sharpened, then opened in CS6. Duplicated BG then mowed the flowers out the way. Cropped to get rid of most of the fence - would have taken forever to clone the fence!!! Brought back a little detail into the sky, LAB colour boost then smart sharpened and stroke to finish.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Nigel
http://nigeldaltonphot​ography.com/ (external link)

MrGman65
78 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 03, 2013 14:11 |  #4

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3830/8939891034_4f9fdebc89_b.jpg

Converted file to .dng, opened in CS3, adj. temp, recovery, fill light, blacks & contrast. Converted to grayscale. Slight crop. Opened image and adj. shadow/highlight. Added noise filter, added photo filter sepia.

No matter where you go, there you are!

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,374 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 03, 2013 17:04 |  #5

Cloned out the fence, adjusted curves in LAB mode. Cropped a bit.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

Mark J.
Gear

yb98
Goldmember
2,586 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jun 04, 2013 05:34 |  #6

2 conversions with DPP : one for the sky in linear mode and another one for the ground using Twilight picture style in normal mode. Then blending both conversions together using DPP++ plugin.

IMAGE: http://digitol.free.fr/images/grillage.jpg

Best DPP Threads
DPP++ Video Channel (external link)
New Version DPP++ 11.3 released (external link)

Fuhrtographer
THREAD ­ STARTER
586 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 05, 2013 18:57 |  #7

robbyh- I like the detail in the brick and sky as well, but halo in the tree on the left is pretty distracting.
NigelD-I like the deep and rich colors but the sky lost the detail the other edits have.
MrGman65-I like the scary feeling along with the dramatic sky but the noise is killing it for me.
M_six-Great job cloning out that nasty fence,the colors are a little "Deep".
yb98-Very good color color and contrast, looks very much like it did the day I snapped the picture.

This is super hard decision and went back and forth between two, M_six and yb98. I am gonna have to go with M_six though because the fence is such a distraction photographically.
So congratulations M_six!

Great edits by everyone though, there was something I liked about all of them. The patience and time the winner put into removing the fence, chairs and wires were what made the difference.

Fuhrtographer's Flickr (external link)

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,374 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 05, 2013 19:27 |  #8

Thanks. I'll get the next one up soon. Here's another edit I worked on and almost submitted.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

Mark J.
Gear

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,374 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 05, 2013 20:42 |  #9

B&A #475 is up.

Mark J.
Gear

NigelD
Cream of the Crop
6,568 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 06, 2013 04:49 |  #10

Well done Mark.

Nigel

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,374 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 06, 2013 12:39 |  #11

Thanks, Nigel. You would think with a chain link fence being a repeating pattern, that there would be an easy way to remove it in PS. I tried using a Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) filter, and it kinda-sorta worked a little, but it left just as much mess to clean up. Those tend to work better when the fence is exactly perpendicular to the lens axis so the pattern is consistent across the frame. They work even better when the background behind the fence is uniform.

I think there might be a way to use a clipping mask to at least take out the fence and leave white space, which could then be Content-Aware filled, but I can't quite get that to work yet.

Mark J.
Gear

NigelD
Cream of the Crop
6,568 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 06, 2013 15:31 |  #12

The proposal of content aware fill might need a bit of development to make it work.

The FFT interests me here Mark - I was working with an image a while ago which was taken from a newspaper back in the 1960's in the UK. It is a promotional image of me in a band in 1969 and is the only remaining copy there is and I have been trying to get an FFT filter to take out the pattern in Windows 7 but it doesn't work either. Anyone reading this who has knowledge of how to make it work - your comments much appreciated!

Nigel

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,374 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 06, 2013 16:12 |  #13

Check this out, Nigel. Looks promising at first glance.

FFT Filters (external link)

Although any time they don't list the price of the software, it means they need to break it to you softly.

This is the one I tried. It might work better with scanned image patterns. (external link) Note: this only works in 32-bit Photoshop. So load it into Program Files (x86)\Photoshop.

Mark J.
Gear

NigelD
Cream of the Crop
6,568 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 06, 2013 16:47 |  #14

Thanks a lot Mark.

Nigel

ktan7
Goldmember
1,016 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jun 07, 2013 14:44 |  #15

I really like picture #2 for after look... desaturated look is pretty cool.

Vancouver wedding photography (external link)
Picture blog (external link)
Mexico wedding photographer (external link)

sponsored links

1,628 views & 0 likes for this thread
Before & After #474
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.