Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 24 May 2013 (Friday) 19:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Phone camera users are funny

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 31, 2013 04:07 |  #76

CrazieCricket wrote in post #15985103 (external link)
I HATE the instagram type photos! I work in a photo lab and when those type of shots come through I don't know if I'm suppose to leave them as is or try and "fix" the coloring.:lol: As for people using their phones or disposable cameras at a graduation or some such... I just feel very badly that their pictures will NOT turn out. I do the best I can to lighten them up enough so they can see the graduates all the way up front. Sadly they don't realize that the flash on their phones or disposables just don't reach that far! ugghhh:confused:

Hey! It worked for Marge Nelson [Teri Garr] in "Mom and Dad Save the World"!

sponsored links
sirquack
Goldmember
2,598 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

May 31, 2013 11:26 |  #77

Segways are COOL. I was a phone shooter until I got my DSLR late last year. I never relied on it to get the perfect photo, but it at least got something when I tried to get the shot. But I never expected it to get a photo from the back of a dark auditorium either.
I still kind it funny to see some people trying to get photos that I KNOW are not going to turn out. But to each their own. I just chuckle inside and move to the side to get my shot with my camera.

Name is Ron.
Bodies - 6D/5D3/7D2-Gripped
Lenses - Canon 17-40 F4/24-70 F2.8 II/85 F1.8/Canon 70-200 F2.8 II/F4/Sigma 30 DC/Tamron 150-600
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 31, 2013 11:39 |  #78

sirquack wrote in post #15986022 (external link)
Segways are COOL...

This comment definitely tells us something about you... I'm just not sure what... :lol:

Tom

sirquack
Goldmember
2,598 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 31, 2013 14:26 |  #79

RTPVid wrote in post #15986069 (external link)
This comment definitely tells us something about you... I'm just not sure what... :lol:

LOL. I did not say they were cool LOOKING. But I did the chance to do a tour on one in Minneapolis and honestly, they were pretty cool for a guy like me with back issues. It let us do a route that I NEVER would have been able to walk and see a lot more of the city than I would have gotten to see on foot. :lol:

Name is Ron.
Lenses - Canon 17-40 F4/24-70 F2.8 II/85 F1.8/Canon 70-200 F2.8 II/F4/Sigma 30 DC/Tamron 150-600
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 31, 2013 15:12 |  #80

sirquack wrote in post #15986022 (external link)
Segways are COOL....

RTPVid wrote in post #15986069 (external link)

sirquack wrote in post #15986580 (external link)
LOL. I did not say they were cool LOOKING. But I did the chance to do a tour on one in Minneapolis and honestly, they were pretty cool for a guy like me with back issues. It let us do a route that I NEVER would have been able to walk and see a lot more of the city than I would have gotten to see on foot. :lol:

Amen!

It's kinda like senior tricycles. They don't do squat for looks, but it you are old and unsteady on your feet, they're great! And definitely cooler than hobbling around on a cane. Besides, they'll carry the groceries home.

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

May 31, 2013 21:23 |  #81

mbellot wrote in post #15970808 (external link)
Drooling techno-zombies that are more concerned with the brand than actual function.

Yeah, because Apple is terrible at function:rolleyes:

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

ljason8eg
478 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 01, 2013 01:25 |  #82

I guess this situation works both ways. I went to my sister's graduation today and brought my 7D and 70-200. In the row behind my family there were a group of four or five rather obnoxiously loud people and one of them must have saw my camera because he commented to his friends that I'm a moron for wasting my money on a "professional camera" when there are phones that do the job just fine. Okay then, whatever floats your boat I guess.

Jason
Gear: 1D Mark III | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | 24-105 f/4L IS | 70-200 f/2.8L | Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 | 580 EX II |

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 01, 2013 15:53 |  #83

ljason8eg wrote in post #15988194 (external link)
I guess this situation works both ways. I went to my sister's graduation today and brought my 7D and 70-200. In the row behind my family there were a group of four or five rather obnoxiously loud people and one of them must have saw my camera because he commented to his friends that I'm a moron for wasting my money on a "professional camera" when there are phones that do the job just fine. Okay then, whatever floats your boat I guess.

that's just ignorance, it's everywhere:lol:

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

tkbslc
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 01, 2013 16:56 |  #84

elrey2375 wrote in post #15989643 (external link)
that's just ignorance, it's everywhere:lol:

And sometimes it is funny, right?  :p

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

Luxornv
223 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jun 01, 2013 22:15 |  #85

tkbslc wrote in post #15982932 (external link)
Sony and Fuji (and probably others) have released slim cameras with a pretty decent zoom range that use a periscopic, fully internal zoom lens.

[cut images]

That camera is not much bigger than a phone. I have no idea why they won't implement something similar in an Android or even WindowsRT based device.

Money. I didn't look into the cost of those, but my guess is that if included on a phone, the price could easily exceed $1000. Right now, I don't think there are many people who would drop that much on a phone. Though I believe current generation smart phones are around $800 right now (outright cost, not including any deals associated with plan discounts), so I could be wrong on that. However, I don't think there is a mass demand for optical zoom cameras on phones. Why add something like that when it will cost more to manufacture, drive up the price, and therefore push away potential sales.

Canon Rebel T3i - 18-55mm Kit lens- Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 - Rokinon 8mm Fish Eye - Canon 40mm f/2.8 Pancake - Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

onona
511 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 02, 2013 22:11 |  #86

elrey2375 wrote in post #15966703 (external link)
It's not a high horse, it's called being a human being. Instead of laughing at someone else, why not just offer help? That's being on your high horse? Also, we get at least two of these threads a week where people recount how they laughed or snickered at someone else with less-than-capable equipment in a tough situation. It gets old. We get it, these morons had the little phone cameras, hilarious. You want us all to come in here and slap you on the back and agree with you, 'what a bunch of idiots these parents were.' And when someone doesn't, they're on their high horse. I'm sad for this world if we've come to the point where being nice and offering help is somehow in the wrong

I totally agree. The sneering derision aimed at mobile phone camera/cheap camera users on photography forums is so tediously predictable. While I find the sea of blue screens at concerts mildly annoying, let them have their video or photos if that's what they want. They're not trying to capture pin sharp footage, they're just trying to capture the moment, because it means something to them.

I was at a concert last year, and the woman next to me was struggling to get her compact camera set up before the band came on, so I turned to her and explained that I could help her, so she passed her camera to me, and I set up the shutter speed, ISO and aperture for her to get the best possible shots, and quickly explained how to adjust them. Why sneer when you can just be kind?

Leigh
I shoot concerts and stuff. (external link)

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 03, 2013 10:16 |  #87

onona wrote in post #15993465 (external link)
I totally agree. The sneering derision aimed at mobile phone camera/cheap camera users on photography forums is so tediously predictable. While I find the sea of blue screens at concerts mildly annoying, let them have their video or photos if that's what they want. They're not trying to capture pin sharp footage, they're just trying to capture the moment, because it means something to them.

I was at a concert last year, and the woman next to me was struggling to get her compact camera set up before the band came on, so I turned to her and explained that I could help her, so she passed her camera to me, and I set up the shutter speed, ISO and aperture for her to get the best possible shots, and quickly explained how to adjust them. Why sneer when you can just be kind?

Not to mention the self-superior sneering derision on this board aimed at those who just find using phone / tablet cameras in these ways just humorous.

Besides, compact cameras do have some capability to be adjusted. From the ads, apparently iPhones are capable of taking breath-taking landscapes while the "photographer" is running. Magic machine, that iPhone.

Tom

sirquack
Goldmember
2,598 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jun 03, 2013 12:13 |  #88

RTPVid wrote in post #15994762 (external link)
Not to mention the self-superior sneering derision on this board aimed at those who just find using phone / tablet cameras in these ways just humorous.

Besides, compact cameras do have some capability to be adjusted. From the ads, apparently iPhones are capable of taking breath-taking landscapes while the "photographer" is running. Magic machine, that iPhone.

I would normally wait for a false advertising lawsuit in case like this, but Apple has such serious fan boys/girls they would never consider anything that Apple does to be a problem, even at twice the price and half the capability. (Before people get on me about this, my kids have IPhones and I have nothing against Apple personally since they have a pretty good thing going.)

Name is Ron.
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Arman's ­ Photography
663 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 03, 2013 12:24 as a reply to  @ sirquack's post |  #89

The Battle for the cellphone throne! Samsung vs. IPhone :D who will win this is the question?

Who cares really?
I know I don't, it is just a tool not a way of living nor a necessity!

Toronto Wedding Photographer (external link)
Oakville Wedding photographer (external link)
Milton Wedding Photographer (external link)
2x5D MII gripped, 24-70mm f2.8 L, 70-200mm f2.8 II ISL, 580EXII,580EXII,2xYN56​5II ....

onona
511 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 03, 2013 12:26 |  #90

RTPVid wrote in post #15994762 (external link)

Go grind that axe of yours somewhere else. You might also want to find a dictionary and look up the words sneering and derision.

Leigh
I shoot concerts and stuff. (external link)

sponsored links

14,654 views & 0 likes for this thread
Phone camera users are funny
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.