Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 31 May 2013 (Friday) 04:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Mojo has gone

Sorarse
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 31, 2013 04:24 |  #1

My photography Mojo has definitely taken a leave of absence. My brand new 5DIII turned up a week ago, and all I've done with it so far is take a couple of test shots. I should be like a little kid let loose in the sweet shop, but it's just not happening. :(

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! Terry Pratchett

http://www.scarecrowim​ages.com (external link)
Canon PowerShot G2

sponsored links
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

May 31, 2013 04:41 |  #2

Mine has been hiding for the past few weeks.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,568 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 31, 2013 09:08 |  #3

Interests come and go....sometimes they return sometimes not. If it's just a hobby, set it aside for a while and take a break. You may aquire a new found interest after a small break away. If not, sell the gear (or hold onto it "just in case" if you don't need/want the funds for something else) and move onto the next of life's adventures :)

Ugly ­ Joe
436 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 31, 2013 09:49 as a reply to  @ jra's post |  #4

Performance anxiety?

"Hell is an eternity of getting up at 4am to nothing but decaf coffee..."
A good friend will help you move.
A true friend will help you move a body.
An old friend more than likely will pass on either because of a bad back.

Sorarse
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 31, 2013 10:55 |  #5

No idea really. Don't think I'll sell anything, 'cos I know I would regret it if I did. Besides which, I still have every camera I have ever bought, so even when upgrading I tend to hang on to stuff rather than trade in.

Maybe it's just all the crap weather we've had. I need to get outdoors I think and start looking at things with my photographer's eye and see if I get inspired.

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! Terry Pratchett

http://www.scarecrowim​ages.com (external link)
Canon PowerShot G2

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
21,005 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

May 31, 2013 12:34 |  #6

Sorarse wrote in post #15985935 (external link)
Maybe it's just all the crap weather we've had. I need to get outdoors

If you haven't been able to get a decent amount of exercise, that'll lower your mood all by itself.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,160 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 31, 2013 13:12 |  #7

Someone, quick, post that chart showing the stages of Photography!

Back awaaaay from the HDR!!!!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2008

May 31, 2013 13:23 |  #8

do some indoor macro work if you have the lens for it! Or get a nice flower or bouquet and play with that. I've been in the same boat, also just got my 5d3 and new lens, a handful of test shots is all so far, haven't even put them on the computer yet. But it'll get used this weekend quite a bit.

Try something new or set a motto like only photos with something red in them or only textures etc. Get a lensbaby for some totally different fun. Shoot water drops, smoke, toys. Go into town and only shoot doors or lamps or newspaper boxes etc.
Food photography is fun too!

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 31, 2013 14:23 |  #9

In the same boat. Lost it for three weeks and counting. I have two big sets in my Lightroom library that I need to process.. have barely touched 'em.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2008

May 31, 2013 14:28 |  #10

go out for a hike if it's not pouring down, I did that recently and got a lot of nice shots along the way, hiking where I usually mountain bike.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

onona
511 posts
Joined Aug 2012

May 31, 2013 16:56 |  #11

Yeah the weather has been pretty crappy lately, but I'm often up until the wee hours, and the light is really beautiful just before dawn. Surely you have some nice countryside near you in Kent? Maybe get up really early one morning and go take advantage of that nice light. The rain often stops around that time too, and everything is really still.

Leigh
I shoot concerts and stuff. (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
16,042 posts
Gallery: 180 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Jun 01, 2013 09:28 |  #12

Sorarse wrote in post #15985166 (external link)
My photography Mojo has definitely taken a leave of absence. My brand new 5DIII turned up a week ago, and all I've done with it so far is take a couple of test shots. I should be like a little kid let loose in the sweet shop, but it's just not happening. :(

I had to google the word "mojo" to see what it means. Heck, my spellcheck doesn't even recognize it! I thought there may be others that are unfamiliar with the term, so I am posting definitions here:

mojo: . a magic spell, hex, or charm; broadly : magical power <works his mojo on the tennis court>

mojo: . the art or practice of casting magic spells; magic; voodoo.

mojo: . the art of casting magic spells

mojo: . uncanny personal power or influence

Sorarse, considering that mojo means some sort of magic or charm, I think it really isn't a problem if it has left you for a spell (pun!). Most often, brilliant results can be achieved by practicing excellent craftsmanship. "Magic" or "charm" are often not necessary to create wonderful imagery. If the right side of your brain is not inspiring you as you like, then rely upon the insights that the left side of your brain gives you.

Sometimes as photographers (when we're well trained) we need to go thru the motions and do what we "know" will produce a great image, rather than "feeling" the great image. Professionals must produce excellent images no matter how they are feeling inside. If they are able to rely on craftsmanship and experience to produce great images day in, day out, then we can all do likewise.

Don't worry about the "mojo". Just shoot, and shoot well.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 01, 2013 09:50 |  #13

My Mojo disappears for a while, everyone's does.

I recently had a colleague say "I'm having a c**p month, I don't think I could buy a f*****g decent picture"

If your shooting professionally, you can't just put the camera down for a couple of weeks, and wait for it to pass.

I recently had a job, i wasn't happy when I left, but had run out of time, I hated looking at the images, and managed to pick two frames that I thought were ok, so I just submitted the two frames (typically I aim for 6 minimum) irritated that I hadn't done a good job, and spent the weekend feeling like a failure, and not happy with any pics I took over the weekend.

Walked into the office on Monday and the picture editor said "nice job mate, I love the second frame, but in future try and give us a few more options"
That simple comment (he did genuinely like the pic) made me feel much better, and I feel like my photography got a little bit better, my mojo was back.

Part of that may simply be how I interact with people when i feel I'm having an off day, vs when I feel like I'm doing well, but you just have to push through the off days (or weeks) - eventually you will take a picture that will bring the mojo back, you just can't force it.

That said, try shooting something different.
If you typically shoot Motorsport, go and chase birds for a day, if macro is your thing, try shooting people.
If you typically use a long lens, try a wide angle, just mix it up a little bit.

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,160 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 01, 2013 16:36 |  #14

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Luxornv
223 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jun 01, 2013 22:21 |  #15

It could just be there is nothing to shoot. Maybe I'm not as into this hobby as others around here, but I tend to only shoot stuff that I'm interested in. Therefore, I'm usually only using my camera when I go to some kind of event. If there's some weird weather phenomenon going on outside, then I may pull it out at home, but I generally don't touch it every day.

Canon Rebel T3i - 18-55mm Kit lens- Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 - Rokinon 8mm Fish Eye - Canon 40mm f/2.8 Pancake - Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

sponsored links

3,540 views & 0 likes for this thread
Mojo has gone
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.