Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 May 2013 (Thursday) 06:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Advice for Shooting AI Servo?

G.Fraser
126 posts
Joined Sep 2012

May 30, 2013 06:23 |  #1

Hi All,

I was hoping someone out there may be able to offer some advice as to how to shoot my little boy in AI Servo mode. I'm sure I must be doing something wrong with my settings as I rarely seem to get a properly in focus shot. As you can imagine, the little fella moves about a lot and I've tried using moderately fast shutter speeds with the lens closed down a bit, but I still seem to miss focus far too frequently.

I have seen so many stunning shots on here of birds in flight and dogs running towards the camera seemingly frozen in mid-air, but yet I can't seem to capture my son toddling towards me! I generally shoot architecture so I'm used to more static subjects :)

By the way I use a 5D MkIII and mostly my 24-70 MkII. Many thanks in advance for any advice and I'm looking forward to being able to exploit the 5D MkIIIs AF system a bit more!

Website (external link) - Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Zivnuska
Goldmember
3,672 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined Oct 2007

May 30, 2013 06:37 |  #2

1. A shutter speed of 1/640 or faster is ideal. Use 1/400 as an absolute minimum.

2. Try AF case 6. Little boys move erratically.

3. Back button focus is best but not mandatory. If you use the shutter button to focus, be sure you keep it depressed half-way to acquire focus and track. Push the button the rest of the way to release the shutter.

4. Try using the focus point plus 8 auxillary points. Keep the focus points centered on your son as much as possible. Practice.

Your wonderful gear should give great results once you get used to tracking objects. Post your results with the EXIF data if you still have trouble.

Phil

www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com/blog (external link) = My Blog
Gear List
www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com (external link)

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."

G.Fraser
THREAD ­ STARTER
126 posts
Joined Sep 2012

May 30, 2013 06:51 |  #3

That's great, I'll give your tips a shot. Thanks so much for the reply!

MikeWa
879 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 01, 2013 20:33 |  #4

Take the little boy to the park or someplace where they have pigeons or gulls and practice some birds in flight. You will both have a fun time and it will give you a chance to try some different settings.
Mike

Mike...G9; 7D; 7D Mark II; EF-S 10-22mm; EF-S 18-135mm IS STM; EF 28-300mm F3.5-5.6L; EF 70-300mm IS USM; EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS-II; EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS; EXT 1.4-II & 2.0-III; The more I learn the less I know.

halitime
Goldmember
1,271 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 01, 2013 21:54 |  #5

Are you using Back Button Focus?

Gear List : 1D MK II n,Gripped XSi,70-200 f4,300 f4 IS,Canon 24-105 f4,35 f2 IS,EF 50 1.8 MK I,EF-S 10-22,Canon 1.4 II Extender,Canon 25mm Ext Tube,YN 468/460 II,RF 602's
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/halitime/sets/ (external link)

Franz-Olof
74 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 02, 2013 03:18 |  #6

Very nice photos in your zenfolio Phil! I enjoyed a lot - also left a note;)

And once again I'm with you G.Frazer - same questions. Turning into BBF and more and more servo. Upping the shutter speed made a big difference for me so far. Now I'm wondering mostly which af cases to use and when... and also which focus point type. Have to try Phils suggestion with 9 points.

5Dmkiii ⎟16-35Lii ⎟24-70Lii ⎟50/1.8ii ⎟∑85⎟100-400L⎟Nissin Di866ii
my photo site (external link)

Zivnuska
Goldmember
3,672 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 02, 2013 09:05 as a reply to  @ Franz-Olof's post |  #7

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate the note on zenfolio. :-) The "Selected Favorites" are some of my best stuff.

For those who are shooting sports or other types of photography where servo focus will be used extensively, changing to back button focus (BBF) is quite helpful. Getting used to the change will only take a few days and it will seem normal quite soon. Just stick to it 100% and don't go back and forth between techniques.

Case 1 is an excellent all around choice as an AF case choice. Start there and move to the other cases when Case 1 doesn't work well and the description of the other cases seem to be appropriate.

Choosing the focus point type will depend on the type of action you want to capture. Different situations require more or less coverage area to keep the focus points centered on the desired object. Skill and experience play a role as well. Practice. In my case, I generally prefer a small number of active points (1, 5, or 9) and rely on my ability to track the subject and keep the points centered. However, there are times when I want the camera to help track and use all those focus points. Don't be afraid to experiment and fail. As long as you learn, it all helps.

Phil

www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com/blog (external link) = My Blog
Gear List
www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com (external link)

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Jun 02, 2013 13:06 |  #8

One thing that commonly confusing people is the tracking sensitivity. In most cases it's better to have it turned down not up. This setting sounds like like it will make it lock onto you subject better but it how sensitive it is to lock onto whatever the AF point is on. Now even this might sound good but the issue is let's say your tracking you son while he's running in the park and the AF point goes off him real quick or even maybe just to the edge of him, at this point it might try to grab focus on something in the background like the grass. Same thing for something that passes through the frame between you and the target, this is also one of the many things BBF is useful for as you can stop focusing until past the other object.

G.Fraser
THREAD ­ STARTER
126 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 02, 2013 13:49 |  #9

Thanks everyone for your replies, I have been away this weekend visiting my brother and his daughter, hence my original post was partly in preparation for this weekend :) Anyway, I'm just about to settle down to process my photos and I'm pretty confident I got quite a few 'keepers' using AI Servo! I think the key for this first step for me, was braving the higher ISOs enabling me to increase the shutter speed and also use narrower apertures. However, I will keep practising and keep in mind the great advice from this thread. My goal for this week is to set up back button focussing!

Thanks again for your help everyone!

HLxDrummer
243 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 02, 2013 15:03 |  #10

Don't mean to hijack but I have a question about what you guys are talking about with tracking. You can set the camera to use a certain number of points around your selected point and it will automatically change to follow your target? That is amazing.. I wish my 40D could do that!

OP: Good luck and let us know how it goes :)

40D with Tamron 17-50MM f/2.8 & Canon 85MM f/1.8 & Canon 55-250MM f/4-5.6
YN-565 with (2) RF-603s
1993 3000GT VR4 & 1993 Trek 2500Pro & 1980's Schwinn World Sport

sponsored links

1,308 views & 0 likes for this thread
Advice for Shooting AI Servo?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.